Mailing List Archive

New MythTV notification center and theme...
Hi there.

A couple of days ago, I added a new feature to MythTV which is the
MythUINotificationCenter component.

the notification center allows for permanent or brief informative
messages to be displayed in the frontend: I call them a notification
card (type is MythScreenType)

The first component making use of the notification center is the
AirPlay server: it will now show when a client is connecting /
disconnecting and display information about the music track being
played: album cover, title, album name, genre, and updated playback
progress.
In the future, I hope to have ready for 0.27 release (only a short
time away), informations about the state of the backend being
displayed when the frontend is idle (recording started, recording
failed etc)

The aim is to display a notification cards stack on the screen with
notification cards being displayed on top of one another.

As a notification can define a duration ; once a notification card
disappear from the screen, the notification card underneath would then
be pushed up taking the place once occupied by the previous
notification card.
Notifications also have a level of priority, so one marked with a
VeryHigh priority level, will be displayed on top of the ones with a
Default priority level etc

The deletion of a notification card from the stack, or addition to the
stack, and the remaining ones being relocated should be animated.

All of this is good; but I know nothing about theming and I can't
really be bothered learning about it (plus the result would suck
anyway).

Due to timing constraints, we have to do with what is currently
available in the existing MythUI widget library
For the time being, I've used the "miniplayer" music player theme to
display the notification cards.

But this theme doesn't cater for the stacking effects of cards.

I would like to know, from you expert themers, your thoughts on how
to re-use the existing MythUI widgets, if you think it is possible to
implement such animated features and definition for notification
cards.
From a quick glance, it seems that the only thing allowing to
represent multiple items at once is the ButtonList widget.

My guess is that we would need an animated up, animated down, and the
notification card definition itself with some components being
optionally displayed: image, progressbar, duration.

Ideally, the notification cards stack would be displayed on the right
hand side of the screen; but it could also be made to appear at the
bottom of the screen from right to left (like XBMC is doing with their
RSS feed). That will be left up to the themer.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on how to implement it from a
themeable perspective

Otherwise, for this first release, it will be made in a static fashion
using the existing miniplayer.

Thank you
Regards
Jean-Yves
Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
Hi

So people have a clearer idea of what I'm implementing...

The system is now totally functional in master (and in use by both the
AirPlay and AirTunes server).
Unfortunately, it's all hard coded in regards to the handling of the
cards; no animation of any type (insertion and deletion).. But without
feedback from themers, it will stay that way

Some screen captures.

iTunes connecting, then starting playback (4 cards displayed)
http://i39.tinypic.com/wujcbb.png

Playback of a song via AirTunes:
http://i39.tinypic.com/2w6rmv4.png
Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
Hi

I like the way it looks. I also love more animation options (fading).
I am currently building master to check it out.

Are you planing to move it to an own xml?

What other sources for events are you planing?

Cheers

Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
On 2 July 2013 00:45, Elkin Fricke <managementboy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I like the way it looks. I also love more animation options (fading).
> I am currently building master to check it out.

fading is provided automatically in MythUI; however there's no fading
implemented for the display of notification cards while watching video
playback (not hard to add, just need to do it)

> Are you planing to move it to an own xml?

that was the primary aim of this email to start with...

Making it fully themeable is one thing, how to do so is another.
Starting with having a unique theme for a notification card (instead of
using the mini music player). So we can display notification with graphics,
differently to the text only one etc..

Then we need a way to define animation for insertion and removal.

I doubt those animations will work during TV playback; too complicated and
depends greatly on the TV playback profile in use.

> What other sources for events are you planing?

Well, it's a pretty easy to use feature.
For a start, we could change the user notification to use this mechanism
instead. This gives the choice to make the notification permanent (as it is
now until the user press a key); or being displayed for xx seconds only.

I want to display if there's been a recording error (like recording failed
to start) giving the user the possibility to fix it while it's not too late.

things like that...

It also expands what a plugin could do... Could image a plugin which only
purpose is to display a notification with a weather forecast. Or one
displaying weather emergency alerts and nothing more
Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
Hi,

just committed a test xml file for the Willi Theme to
https://github.com/MythTV-Themes/Willi

Using the command line I can get it to display the "Title". How can I test
"Image", "Description" and "Progressbar" without airplay?

In your screenshot you have the notifications stacking. How do I do that?

Cheers,

Elkin
Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
Hi

On 5 July 2013 17:48, Elkin Fricke <managementboy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just committed a test xml file for the Willi Theme to
> https://github.com/MythTV-Themes/Willi
>
> Using the command line I can get it to display the "Title". How can I test
> "Image", "Description" and "Progressbar" without airplay?

mythutil --help:
--notification Display a notification on a frontend
--bcastaddr (optional) IP address to send to
--description (optional) notification description text
--extra (optional) notification extra text
--fullscreen (optional) display notification in full
screen mode
--image (optional) Path to image to send to
(http://, myth://)
--message_text (optional) message to send
--origin (optional) notification origin text
--progress (optional) progress value (must be
between 0 and 1)
--progress_text (optional) notification progress text
--timeout (optional) notification duration
--udpport (optional) UDP Port to send to

no image:
mythutil --notification --bcastaddr=127.0.0.1 --message_text="hello world"
--description="123" --progress=.5 --progress_text="Done here"
--extra="extra3"

with an image:
mythutil --notification --bcastaddr=127.0.0.1 --message_text="hello world"
--timeout=5 --description="123" --progress=.5 --image="/path/to/image.JPG"
--progress_text="Done here" --extra="extra3"

full screen:
mythutil --notification --bcastaddr=127.0.0.1 --message_text="hello world"
--timeout=5 --description="123" --progress=.5 --image="/path/to/image.JPG"
--progress_text="Done here" --extra="extra3" --fullscreen

> In your screenshot you have the notifications stacking. How do I do that?

Send more than one :)

it's a stack, they are queued and displayed in the order received.
Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
2013/7/5 Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>

> mythutil --help:
> --notification Display a notification on a frontend
> --bcastaddr (optional) IP address to send to
> --description (optional) notification description text
> --extra (optional) notification extra text
> --fullscreen (optional) display notification in full
> screen mode
> --image (optional) Path to image to send to
> (http://, myth://)
> --message_text (optional) message to send
> --origin (optional) notification origin text
> --progress (optional) progress value (must be
> between 0 and 1)
> --progress_text (optional) notification progress text
> --timeout (optional) notification duration
> --udpport (optional) UDP Port to send to

I guess I must update my master... my mythutil gives me this:

Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
On 5 July 2013 18:50, Elkin Fricke <managementboy@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/7/5 Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>
>

>> mythutil --help:
>> --notification Display a notification on a frontend
>> --bcastaddr (optional) IP address to send to
>> --description (optional) notification description
>> text
>> --extra (optional) notification extra text
>> --fullscreen (optional) display notification in
>> full screen mode
>> --image (optional) Path to image to send to
>> (http://, myth://)
>> --message_text (optional) message to send
>> --origin (optional) notification origin text
>> --progress (optional) progress value (must be
>> between 0 and 1)
>> --progress_text (optional) notification progress text
>> --timeout (optional) notification duration
>> --udpport (optional) UDP Port to send to
>>

> I guess I must update my master... my mythutil gives me this:

obviously yes :)
Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
Hi

I would like to ask for the "template" feature to be added to the
notification-ui.

This is what I would like to be able to do:

<textarea name="description_without_progress" from="basetextarea"
depends="!progress_text">
<area>15,30,890,120</area>
<template>%DESCRIPTION%</template>
</textarea>

<textarea name="description_with_progress" from="basetextarea"
depends="progress_text">
<area>15,30,890,36</area>

Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
On 6 July 2013 17:27, Elkin Fricke <managementboy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I would like to ask for the "template" feature to be added to the
> notification-ui.
>
> This is what I would like to be able to do:
>
> <textarea name="description_without_progress" from="basetextarea"
> depends="!progress_text">
> <area>15,30,890,120</area>
> <template>%DESCRIPTION%</template>
> </textarea>
>
> <textarea name="description_with_progress" from="basetextarea"
> depends="progress_text">
> <area>15,30,890,36</area>
> <template>%DESCRIPTION%</template>
> </textarea>

The progress bar nor the progress text is visible if there's no progress
information in the notification.

The notification itself is fully using MythUI, so if MythUI supports such
dependency checking, so will the notification screen.

not much to do with the notification per say.

or you need to give me more details if i misunderstood you.
Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
Hi

On 6 July 2013 17:27, Elkin Fricke <managementboy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I would like to ask for the "template" feature to be added to the
> notification-ui.
>
> This is what I would like to be able to do:
>
> <textarea name="description_without_progress" from="basetextarea"
> depends="!progress_text">
> <area>15,30,890,120</area>
> <template>%DESCRIPTION%</template>
> </textarea>
>
> <textarea name="description_with_progress" from="basetextarea"
> depends="progress_text">
> <area>15,30,890,36</area>
> <template>%DESCRIPTION%</template>
> </textarea>

I've added support for templates, now the following keywords are available
for use in all elements:
%TITLE%, %IMAGE% (contains the path provided if any), %ORIGIN%,
%DECRIPTION%, %EXTRA%, %PROGRESS_TEXT%, %PROGRESS%

%PROGRESS% contains the current progress in percentage (value between 0 and
100).

There's one problem however, and currently what you're referring is
possible. In MythUI, the templates map is applied to a MythUIText object,
only if the name of the element is contained in the map.
e.g the template will be use only of the name of you element is one of
those:
title, image, origin, description, extra or progress_text

it won't be applied on an object with the name
"description_without_progress"...
This would require a change to the MythUI core

Jean-Yves
Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
hi

On 6 July 2013 17:27, Elkin Fricke <managementboy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would like to ask for the "template" feature to be added to the
> notification-ui.
>
> This is what I would like to be able to do:
>
> <textarea name="description_without_progress" from="basetextarea"
> depends="!progress_text">
> <area>15,30,890,120</area>
> <template>%DESCRIPTION%</template>
> </textarea>
>
> <textarea name="description_with_progress" from="basetextarea"
> depends="progress_text">
> <area>15,30,890,36</area>
> <template>%DESCRIPTION%</template>
> </textarea>

Ok this is now possible.. templates can now be used by any textarea
widgets defined in a screen as the text template is applied to any
textarea widget making use of the template, no matter the name of the
widget.

The display of progress_text is now configurable in the theme and you
can use "progress" as a dependency.

I've adapted the default theme to make use of this new behaviour in
MythUI widgets like so:

<textarea name="progress_text" from="basetextarea" depends="progress">
<area>370,105,-10,30</area>
<align>right</align>
</textarea>

<progressbar name="progress" from="baseprogressbar">
<area>18,140,100%-28,10</area>
</progressbar>

<textarea name="description_noprogress" from="basetextarea"
depends="!progress">
<area>18,75,-10,115</area>
<multiline>yes</multiline>
<align>left,top</align>
<template>%DESCRIPTION%</template>
</textarea>
</window>

you don't have to call the textarea description_noprogress, any name is fine.

Use "progress" has a dependency to know if you are displaying a
MythPlaybackNotification, as it's the only widgets whose visibility is
controlled by the Notification Center, every other widgets visibility
are controlled by the theme.

Hope this is what you were after.

Jean-Yves
Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
2013/7/9 Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>

> Hope this is what you were after.

yes! thanks. Added it to the Willi theme and it seems to work. I will play
with this for other parts that might benefit from it (more space for title
if there is no subtitle etc, etc)
Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
Hi

On Tuesday, 9 July 2013, Elkin Fricke wrote:

> 2013/7/9 Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com <javascript:_e({},
> 'cvml', 'jyavenard@gmail.com');>>
>

>> Hope this is what you were after.
>>

> yes! thanks. Added it to the Willi theme and it seems to work. I will play
> with this for other parts that might benefit from it (more space for title
> if there is no subtitle etc, etc)

I should add that all notifications used in myth will always contain a
title and an origin; description however is optional.
Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
Hi

On 9 July 2013 22:20, Elkin Fricke <managementboy@gmail.com> wrote:
> yes! thanks. Added it to the Willi theme and it seems to work. I will play
> with this for other parts that might benefit from it (more space for title
> if there is no subtitle etc, etc)

In your theme, you've made the area available for the description
bigger (higher), but as you haven't made the text multiline, the text
doesn't use it.

I've relied on the extra description space to display longer error
messages (which would typically spread over multiple lines). With the
Willi theme, it's all displayed on a single line.

You may want to revisit this.

Also, as the background is transparent, it's a bit hard to read the text
Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
2013/7/10 Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>

> In your theme, you've made the area available for the description
> bigger (higher), but as you haven't made the text multiline, the text
> doesn't use it.
>
> Just commited a fix. Thanks...

> Also, as the background is transparent, it's a bit hard to read the text

I will check this out
Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
On 9 July 2013 22:20, Elkin Fricke <managementboy@gmail.com> wrote:

> yes! thanks. Added it to the Willi theme and it seems to work. I will play
> with this for other parts that might benefit from it (more space for title
> if there is no subtitle etc, etc)

One more thing...

a notification error attempts to load an image "error.png"; so if you
want to display an error properly, you should provide this image
Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
2013/7/10 Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>

> One more thing...
>
> a notification error attempts to load an image "error.png"; so if you
> want to display an error properly, you should provide this image

Do I add it to notification-ui.xml ? or just provide a error.png in the
base directory of my themes?
Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
On 11 July 2013 18:32, Elkin Fricke <managementboy@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/7/10 Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>
>>

>> One more thing...
>>
>> a notification error attempts to load an image "error.png"; so if you
>> want to display an error properly, you should provide this image
>

> Do I add it to notification-ui.xml ? or just provide a error.png in the base
> directory of my themes?

You just need that image to be present.

But thinking about it, I will change the name from error.png to
notification-error.png ; it's a bit more explicit and remove chance of
conflicts.

The notification itself is using that image...
Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
On 11/07/13 09:32, Elkin Fricke wrote:
> 2013/7/10 Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com
> <mailto:jyavenard@gmail.com>>
>

> One more thing...
>
> a notification error attempts to load an image "error.png"; so if you
> want to display an error properly, you should provide this image
>

> Do I add it to notification-ui.xml ? or just provide a error.png in
> the base directory of my themes?

I wonder if this should not be a statetype so the theme designer can
decide whether to use an image or text or whatever they chose rather
than hard coding an image filename?

God help me I'm starting to think like Stuart M. now :) Is there any cure?

Paul H.
Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
On 2013-07-11 10:40, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 11/07/13 09:32, Elkin Fricke wrote:
>> 2013/7/10 Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com
>> <mailto:jyavenard@gmail.com>>
>>

>> One more thing...
>>
>> a notification error attempts to load an image "error.png"; so if you
>> want to display an error properly, you should provide this image
>>

>> Do I add it to notification-ui.xml ? or just provide a error.png in
>> the base directory of my themes?
>>

> I wonder if this should not be a statetype so the theme designer can
> decide whether to use an image or text or whatever they chose rather
> than hard coding an image filename?

+1

--
Jonatan
Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
On 11 July 2013 18:40, Paul Harrison <mythtv@sky.com> wrote:
> I wonder if this should not be a statetype so the theme designer can decide
> whether to use an image or text or whatever they chose rather than hard
> coding an image filename?

Happy to do so... if you point me to an example making use of this..

unfortunately, the documentation from a developer perspective (not
theme developer) is somewhat.... lacking :(
Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
On 11/07/13 11:30, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 11 July 2013 18:40, Paul Harrison <mythtv@sky.com> wrote:
>> I wonder if this should not be a statetype so the theme designer can decide
>> whether to use an image or text or whatever they chose rather than hard
>> coding an image filename?
> Happy to do so... if you point me to an example making use of this..
>
> unfortunately, the documentation from a developer perspective (not
> theme developer) is somewhat.... lacking :(

You would probably add something like this in the default theme to
replace your error image :-

<statetype name="errorstate">
<position>30,670</position>
<state name="ok" />
<state name="error">
<imagetype name="errorimage">
<filename>error.png</filename>
</imagetype>
</state>
</statetype>

And in your code usually in the Create() for your screen you would find
and save the statetype

UIUtilW::Assign(this, m_errorState, "errorstate");

then when you need to update it

bool error = ???; // set the error flag as appropriate

if (m_errorState)
m_errorState->DisplayState(error ? "ok" : "noerror");

The advantage is the themer can call the error image want ever they want
or even use text to display the error state like this.

<statetype name="errorstate">
<position>30,670</position>
<state name="ok" />
<state name="error">
<text name="errortext" from="basetextarea">
<value>ERROR!</value>
</text>
</state>
</statetype>

It would also be possible to add other error states like
'connectionerror' , 'ituneserror' if that is something that you wanted.

Paul H.

Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
Hi

On 11 July 2013 21:01, Paul Harrison <mythtv@sky.com> wrote:

> You would probably add something like this in the default theme to replace
> your error image :-
>
> <statetype name="errorstate">
> <position>30,670</position>
> <state name="ok" />
> <state name="error">
> <imagetype name="errorimage">
> <filename>error.png</filename>
> </imagetype>
> </state>
> </statetype>
>
> And in your code usually in the Create() for your screen you would find and
> save the statetype
>
> UIUtilW::Assign(this, m_errorState, "errorstate");
>
> then when you need to update it
>
> bool error = ???; // set the error flag as appropriate
>
> if (m_errorState)
> m_errorState->DisplayState(error ? "ok" : "noerror");
>

> The advantage is the themer can call the error image want ever they want or
> even use text to display the error state like this.
>
> <statetype name="errorstate">
> <position>30,670</position>
> <state name="ok" />
> <state name="error">
> <text name="errortext" from="basetextarea">
> <value>ERROR!</value>
> </text>
> </state>
> </statetype>
>

> It would also be possible to add other error states like 'connectionerror' ,
> 'ituneserror' if that is something that you wanted.

I had a crack at it...

And I wish it was that simple.. But it's not

So sure I can create a state indicating the error.
But then how would I set my normal image if it's not an error?

I can't put my image type inside a state-type otherwise it's not a
direct children of my screen anymore, and I can't set it.

As you can't set a dependency on an image being displayed within a
statetype (I tried, that dependency never resolve), I would then have
to choose between the error being displayed, or the image I do want to
display. Or both at the same time...
Re: New MythTV notification center and theme... [ In reply to ]
Ok.

I've made the error display themeable.
Also added a new state "noartwork", which is set when a
MythMediaNotification is displayed and there's no artwork provided (or
it's empty)

to implement this I add to extend MythUI capabilities slightly.
Now you can set a dependency on a statetype object. If the statetype
object isn't visible, or none of its children are visible, then the
dependency will resolved as false, otherwise true.

The templates are now usable inside all group objets (statetype,
group, screentype).

So you can do something like:

<statetype name="mediastate">
<area>0,0,100%,100%</area>
<state name="ok"/>
<state name="noartwork">
<area>0,0,100%,100%</area>
<textarea name="mytext">
<template>%DESCRIPTION%</template>
<area>18,18,144,144</area>
</textarea>
</state>
</statetype>

The text of "mytext" will be set to the value of description, so you
could really re-defined entirely how a screen will appear and still
access the text values.

Finally, you can now have an object depends on more than one object.
Two logical arithmetic operations are supported: & (AND) and | (OR).
Expressions are evaluated from left to right.

So you can do something like so:

<statetype name="mediastate">
<area>0,0,100%,100%</area>
<state name="ok"/>
<state name="noartwork">
<area>0,0,100%,100%</area>
<imagetype name="imageartwork">
<!-- Artist: Vargas21
http://www.iconarchive.com/show/aquave-metal-icons-by-vargas21/Music-icon.html
-->
<filename>noartwork.png</filename>
<area>18,18,144,144</area>
</imagetype>
</state>
</statetype>

<statetype name="errorstate">
<area>0,0,100%,100%</area>
<state name="ok"/>
<state name="error">
<area>0,0,100%,100%</area>
<imagetype name="imageerror">
<!-- Artist: Kyo-Tux -->
<filename>error.png</filename>
<area>18,18,144,144</area>
</imagetype>
</state>
</statetype>

<imagetype name="image" depends="!mediastate&amp;!errorstate">
<filename>damaged.png</filename>
<area>18,18,144,144</area>
</imagetype>

So here, our image "image" widget, will only be displayed if neither
mediastate nor errorstate are visible.

I think those three new extensions can greatly enhance the
possibilities on what can be done with a theme.

Good theming !