Mailing List Archive

Simpler TV usage (with keyboard) GUI
Hi all,

I am in the process of switching my HTPC from Media Portal to MythTV and I
want to know if there is a theme or customization I can have for the MythTv
frontend that makes it behave more similar to the TV menu in Media Portal?

The big issue I have with the Myth user interface (Using 0.24 right now) is
that to schedule recordings, I have to go into maybe 4 different menus to
bring up the guide.

But even worse it that to watch live TV, it seems like I can't just use the
guide to switch to live TV. I can only use that guide to schedule
recordings.

In media portal, if you pressed enter on an entry that was showing *now* it
would just start watching it. In Myth I can't seem to do this, I have to go
back out to the top level menu, go to Watch TV then hit the 'S' key (of all
things....) bring up a "live tv guide" and then select what I want to watch.

The Myth TV frontend seems fairly customizable, so is customizing something
simple to do what I want possible? And if so where is the best place to
look for information on how to do so?

As a side note, I am using 0.24 so I can also try out XBMC with the mythbox
plugin. This looks nice, but I am finding it locks up occasionally (and my
myth frontend has also crashed a few times when switching channels of live
tv). So I would prefer to move to MythTv 0.25 and use the official MythTV
frontend if I can get it working as I want.

Thanks,
Brendon.
Re: Simpler TV usage (with keyboard) GUI [ In reply to ]
this may or may not be an option for you, but an android app called
mythmote is what we use in our house, and we control the MythTV box using
any of the far-too-many android phones and tablets laying around. among
other things, it has dedicated buttons to jump to live TV and such. It may
be worth looking into if that is an option for you.

Re: Simpler TV usage (with keyboard) GUI [ In reply to ]
Brendon Costa <brendon.j.costa@gmail.com> wrote on Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 09:02:30AM +1000:
> The big issue I have with the Myth user interface (Using 0.24 right now) is
> that to schedule recordings, I have to go into maybe 4 different menus to
> bring up the guide.

You can assign a key combo to bring up the program guide or other
"jump points". I can hit Alt+G to bring up the guide from whereever I
am in the menus. Similarly Alt+R takes me to Watch Recordings and
Alt+T takes me to Live TV.

> But even worse it that to watch live TV, it seems like I can't just use the
> guide to switch to live TV. I can only use that guide to schedule
> recordings.
>
> In media portal, if you pressed enter on an entry that was showing *now* it
> would just start watching it. In Myth I can't seem to do this, I have to go
> back out to the top level menu, go to Watch TV then hit the 'S' key (of all
> things....) bring up a "live tv guide" and then select what I want to watch.

Even though many people use MythTV for watching live TV, I think
you'll find that it's geared more towards recorded TV, and therefore
that gets more development focus. When I first started using MythTV I
too looked for a way to start watching a channel live directly from
the program guide, but I didn't figure out how. Eventually I realized
I'd rather record it than watch it live, anyway. To record something
and immediately start watching it, you could hit R to record, then
Alt+R to jump to Watch Recordings, then arrow to it and hit Enter to
start watching.
Re: Simpler TV usage (with keyboard) GUI [ In reply to ]
Customize the menu.. I do this all the time my menu reads

View Recordings
Program Guide
Videos
Music
Advanced Recording
Setup

Create a file ~/.mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/mainmenu.xml

Put in

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<!-- Put file in ~/.mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/mainmenu.xml -->
<mythmenu name="MAIN">

<button>
<type>TV_WATCH_RECORDINGS</type>
<text>Watch Recordings</text>
<description>Browse all recordings</description>
<action>TV_WATCH_RECORDING All Programs</action>
</button>

<button>
<type>TV_PROGRAM_GUIDE</type>
<text>Program Guide</text>
<description>Choose programs from a grid-style list</description>
<action>TV_SCHEDULE</action>
</button>
<button>
<type>VIDEO_BROWSER</type>
<text>Watch Videos</text>
<description>Browse your video library</description>
<action>JUMP Video Default</action>
</button>
<button>
<type>MUSIC_PLAY</type>
<text>Listen to Music</text>
<description>Browse your music library</description>
<action>JUMP Play music</action>
<depends>mythmusic</depends>
</button>
<button>
<type>MENU_MANAGE_RECORDINGS</type>
<text>Manage Recordings</text>
<description>Pick and prioritize recordings</description>
<action>MENU manage_recordings.xml</action>
</button>
<button>
<type>MENU_UTILITIES_SETUP</type>
<text>Utilities / Setup</text>
<description>Configure MythTV and plugins</description>
<action>MENU util_menu.xml</action>
</button>

</mythmenu>

Then restart mythtv

On 27 September 2012 11:34, Joey Morris <rjmorris@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Brendon Costa <brendon.j.costa@gmail.com> wrote on Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at
> 09:02:30AM +1000:
> > The big issue I have with the Myth user interface (Using 0.24 right now)
> is
> > that to schedule recordings, I have to go into maybe 4 different menus to
> > bring up the guide.
>
> You can assign a key combo to bring up the program guide or other
> "jump points". I can hit Alt+G to bring up the guide from whereever I
> am in the menus. Similarly Alt+R takes me to Watch Recordings and
> Alt+T takes me to Live TV.
>

> > But even worse it that to watch live TV, it seems like I can't just use
> the
> > guide to switch to live TV. I can only use that guide to schedule
> > recordings.
> >
> > In media portal, if you pressed enter on an entry that was showing *now*
> it
> > would just start watching it. In Myth I can't seem to do this, I have to
> go
> > back out to the top level menu, go to Watch TV then hit the 'S' key (of
> all
> > things....) bring up a "live tv guide" and then select what I want to
> watch.
>
> Even though many people use MythTV for watching live TV, I think
> you'll find that it's geared more towards recorded TV, and therefore
> that gets more development focus. When I first started using MythTV I
> too looked for a way to start watching a channel live directly from
> the program guide, but I didn't figure out how. Eventually I realized
> I'd rather record it than watch it live, anyway. To record something
> and immediately start watching it, you could hit R to record, then
> Alt+R to jump to Watch Recordings, then arrow to it and hit Enter to
> start watching.

"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calven
Re: Simpler TV usage (with keyboard) GUI [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Brendon Costa <brendon.j.costa@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am in the process of switching my HTPC from Media Portal to MythTV and I
> want to know if there is a theme or customization I can have for the MythTv
> frontend that makes it behave more similar to the TV menu in Media Portal?
>
> The big issue I have with the Myth user interface (Using 0.24 right now)
> is that to schedule recordings, I have to go into maybe 4 different menus
> to bring up the guide.
>
> But even worse it that to watch live TV, it seems like I can't just use
> the guide to switch to live TV. I can only use that guide to schedule
> recordings.
>
> In media portal, if you pressed enter on an entry that was showing *now*
> it would just start watching it. In Myth I can't seem to do this, I have to
> all things....) bring up a "live tv guide" and then select what I want to
> watch.

You should look over the keybindings and jump points. There are bindings
in various contexts to do what you want including changing channels from
the program guide and entering the program guide directly while watching
TV. If you don't like the key that is used, you can change it.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Keybindings#Electronic_Program_Guide

Kevin