Please advice what I must do to get this theme into the theme downloader so
other people can enjoy as well.

Cheers, Ted.
Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]
Ted Verhagen <ted.verhagen@gmail.com> says:
> As I started to create the theme for 0.24, the repository contains a
> 0.24.2 branch as well.

I'd love to try the 0.24 version out, but the Google Code website
doesn't have any tarballs and git pulls down the master version.
Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> wrote:
> Ted Verhagen <ted.verhagen@gmail.com> says:
>> As I started to create the theme for 0.24, the repository contains a
>> 0.24.2 branch as well.
>
> I'd love to try the 0.24 version out, but the Google Code website
> doesn't have any tarballs and git pulls down the master version.

git checkout release_v024.2

Will switch to the branch for 0.24.2
Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]

> Please advice what I must do to get this theme into the theme downloader
> so other people can enjoy as well.

I like it, good work! To get it up on the downloader contact Chris Pinkham.
Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]
In data Sunday 5 August 2012 11:10:14, Ted Verhagen ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> I've created a theme for MythTV inspired by the MediaStream theme of XBMC.
> The theme can be found on http://code.google.com/p/mythmediastream/ and
> consists of the theme itself and a matching menu theme called
> MythMediaStreamMenu. As I started to create the theme for 0.24, the
> repository contains a 0.24.2 branch as well. The master branch is designed
> for 0.25 and includes the following plugins: mythmusic, mythnetvision,
> mythweather, mythgallery, mythbrowser and mythnews.
>
> Please advice what I must do to get this theme into the theme downloader so
> other people can enjoy as well.
>
> Cheers, Ted.

What a good work!!!! i like it very much.

i got only one problem with font (a plasma tv 1280x720). They are too big:
some entry in the menu occupies 3 lines and in some windows the text goes
outside (es. schedule editing) and it is cutted.

But the theme is really beautiful.

Federico
Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]
Can you post sme screen capture somewhere?

That would be ace thanks.
Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]
2012/8/8 Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>

> Can you post sme screen capture somewhere?

True, It be nice if Ted just adds it to the
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Themes
Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]

Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]
> No need. :) I just setup your theme to be packaged for 0.24 from your
0.24
> branch and for 0.25 and MythTV master from your master branch. It should
> show up in an hour or two when the scripts and rsync run.

Thanks Chris! One question: did you include the separate menu theme which
is in the MythMediaStreamMenu folder as well? I did create the menu
especially to match the theme as some of the menu items in the other menus
are a bit to long to fit the theme its menu lay-out.

> Some themers have branch layouts
> similar to the following:
>
> 0.24 (MythTV 0.24 compatible version)
> 0.25 (MythTV 0.25 compatible version)
> mythtv-master (MythTV master compatible version)
> master (themer's working branch)

Seems like a good approach, I will setup the branches like that... I'm quit
new to git so have a lot to learn.

Cheers, Ted.
Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]
* On Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 11:37:58PM +0200, Ted Verhagen wrote:
> Thanks Chris! One question: did you include the separate menu theme which
> is in the MythMediaStreamMenu folder as well? I did create the menu
> especially to match the theme as some of the menu items in the other menus
> are a bit to long to fit the theme its menu lay-out.

It was not originally included, the packaging script didn't allow for
directories outside the theme directory to be included in the .zip
package. I looked at it earlier today and made a tweak/hack that
would look for a 'themename'Menu subdirectory like your MythMediaStreamMenu
subdir and if the *Menu directory exists, it will be packaged along with
the theme itself. The Theme Chooser still doesn't set the user's menu to
be MythMediaStreamMenu though if they choose the MythMediaStream theme.
This is and idea we've tosssed around, so we might add that ability
later. We also have talked about adding Menu Theme download support to
the theme chooser as well, so that concept or the idea of a UI theme that
includes a menu theme could come about.

--
Chris
Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]
Am 2012-08-09 1:34, schrieb Chris Pinkham:

> * On Wed Aug 08, 2012
at 11:37:58PM +0200, Ted Verhagen wrote:

>> Thanks Chris! One
question: did you include the separate menu theme which is in the
MythMediaStreamMenu folder as well? I did create the menu especially to
match the theme as some of the menu items in the other menus are a bit
to long to fit the theme its menu lay-out.

> It was not originally
included, the packaging script didn't allow for
> directories outside
the theme directory to be included in the .zip
> package. I looked at it
earlier today and made a tweak/hack that
> would look for a
'themename'Menu subdirectory like your MythMediaStreamMenu
> subdir and
if the *Menu directory exists, it will be packaged along with
> the
theme itself. The Theme Chooser still doesn't set the user's menu to

be MythMediaStreamMenu though if they choose the MythMediaStream
theme.
> This is and idea we've tosssed around, so we might add that
ability
> later. We also have talked about adding Menu Theme download
support to
> the theme chooser as well, so that concept or the idea of a
UI theme that
> includes a menu theme could come about.--
> Chris

Hi Chris,

adding the menu as well is a good idea. My upcoming blue-abstract-wide
1.8 theme will also include a menu but it will be called
blue-abstract-wide-menu. So I dunno if there should be some kind of
naming convention ...Menu or -menu.

Robert S
Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]
When using the old style menus, the text of the labels is black and so is
the background making it unreadable.

JY
Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]
* On Thu Aug 09, 2012 at 10:39:29AM +0200, Robert Siebert wrote:
> adding the menu as well is a good idea. My upcoming blue-abstract-wide
> 1.8 theme will also include a menu but it will be called
> blue-abstract-wide-menu. So I dunno if there should be some kind of
> naming convention ...Menu or -menu.

I think (but have not tested), that you can put
<type>Menu</type> in your UI theme's theminfo.xml file and
include the Menu theme .xml files in your main UI theme directory
and that will allow you to put them both in the same directory.
That's according to the comments in the themeinfo.xml file, I haven't
looked at the code to confirm. Maybe Stuart Morgan or someone else
on the list can confirm. If this is possible, there's no need to
modify the package scripts to pickup any specially named directories.
I could modify the Theme Chooser to only reload the theme if a UI
theme was downloaded and installed, but the service side of the
theme downloading would not have to change any. After hacking
in the 'themename'Menu support, I was thinking that I should make
modifications to the Theme Chooser screen to prompt the user to ask
whether they want to use any included Menu theme as well as the UI
theme. That logic would work with the <type>Menu</type> tag as well.

--
Chris
Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 09 Aug 2012 14:03:46 Chris Pinkham wrote:
> * On Thu Aug 09, 2012 at 10:39:29AM +0200, Robert Siebert wrote:
> > adding the menu as well is a good idea. My upcoming blue-abstract-wide
> > 1.8 theme will also include a menu but it will be called
> > blue-abstract-wide-menu. So I dunno if there should be some kind of
> > naming convention ...Menu or -menu.
>
> I think (but have not tested), that you can put
> <type>Menu</type> in your UI theme's theminfo.xml file and
> include the Menu theme .xml files in your main UI theme directory
> and that will allow you to put them both in the same directory.
> That's according to the comments in the themeinfo.xml file, I haven't
> looked at the code to confirm. Maybe Stuart Morgan or someone else
> on the list can confirm.

That's exactly how it will work. It still won't use the menu theme
automatically, but there's no need for a separate directory as you've got now.
--
Stuart Morgan
Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]
> > > adding the menu as well is a good idea. My upcoming blue-abstract-wide
> > > 1.8 theme will also include a menu but it will be called
> > > blue-abstract-wide-menu. So I dunno if there should be some kind of
> > > naming convention ...Menu or -menu.
> >
> > I think (but have not tested), that you can put
> > <type>Menu</type> in your UI theme's theminfo.xml file and
> > include the Menu theme .xml files in your main UI theme directory
> > and that will allow you to put them both in the same directory.
> > That's according to the comments in the themeinfo.xml file, I haven't
> > looked at the code to confirm. Maybe Stuart Morgan or someone else
> > on the list can confirm.
>
> That's exactly how it will work. It still won't use the menu theme
> automatically, but there's no need for a separate directory as you've got
now.

What I like to contribute to this discussion/thought (taking the previous
statement of Chris into mind in regards of a separate UI to download Menu
themes or setting the menu to the 'Menu theme' included with a certain
theme) is that ideally from a user perspective, it should work like this:

If the theme designer has included a separate Menu with his theme, it
should be set as the default menu to be used as that particular menu was
apparently created to match the theme (like I did for the MythMediaStream
theme). If the theme designer didn't include an a menu then just left the
Menu as it is... Further more, although not many new menu themes are
submitted yet, I think its a good thing to have a separated UI for
downloading menu themes as I can imagine that sometimes people just want to
arrange the way menu items are presented to them a bit different then the
way there are just now.

Additional question in regard to what Chris says and what Stuart confirms:
Do I understand it well that, I don't have to make a separate folder for
the Menu theme, but instead, I can just include the theme Menu .xml files
into the root directory of the theme itself and create an additional
<type>Menu</type> into the themeinfo.xml? If so this would make things a
little easier and perhaps support the idea above (i.e. a <type>OSD</type>
is also set as default once the theme is selected?)

Cheers, Ted.
Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]
> When using the old style menus, the text of the labels is black and so is
the background making it unreadable.

JY, are you referring to the theme (MythMediaStream) I made or just in
general?

BTW, do you still want some screenshots? The theme itself has 6 included in
the themes root directory and if required, I can put some more on the wiki
section on my project site.

Cheers, Ted.
Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]
On 8/5/12 11:10 AM, Ted Verhagen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've created a theme for MythTV inspired by the MediaStream theme of
> XBMC. The theme can be found on
> http://code.google.com/p/mythmediastream/ and consists of the theme
> itself and a matching menu theme called MythMediaStreamMenu. As I
> started to create the theme for 0.24, the repository contains a 0.24.2
> branch as well. The master branch is designed for 0.25 and includes
> the following plugins: mythmusic, mythnetvision, mythweather,
> mythgallery, mythbrowser and mythnews.
>
> Please advice what I must do to get this theme into the theme
> downloader so other people can enjoy as well.
>
> Cheers, Ted.

Ted,
I plainly LOVE this theme.
I think Your contribution is hard to underestimate regarding i.e.
converting XBMC users to MythTV.
Have You plans to add MythMusic Streaming playback & ZoneMinder screens ?
-br
Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]
Hi,

If I could add my 2c worth.

I am working on a 0.25 theme for use at home. This theme is for me and my
family but I would like to make it available for others should they be
interested. I won't be updating it unless it suits me and/or my requirements
change. It may or may not be what others want but I would like to put it out
there. But I would rather not have to go through the trouble of using git,
committing and so on. Equally putting it on my personal website isn't the
best place either. I am well used to version control but SVN no git ;-)

I have to say I am surprised with such a long running project popular
project that there aren't more themes. I mean just look at the tens of
thousands of themes for Wordpress - totally different kettle of fish I know
but MythTV only has maybe 22 themes. I am expecting lots of people tweak
themes but never submit the changes back because it's not as easy as it
could be. Ideally I would like to be able to submit a zip of the theme plus
screenshots. Of course in a perfect world I could submit a theme via the
frontend J

My theme is for 1360x768 because that's the best my frontend will do and it
has a custom menu because I need "Recorded Programs", "Schedule" and "Live
TV" at the root menu. I also renamed "Live TV" to "TV Guide". My theme
doesn't work as well if my custom menu isn't used so I would really like
some sort of mechanism that means when you select a theme it automatically
sets a menu if that is what the themer wants - either that or prompts the
user with some sort of option.

Cheers

Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]
On 11 August 2012 06:26, Ted Verhagen <ted.verhagen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> When using the old style menus, the text of the labels is black and so is
>> the background making it unreadable.
>
> JY, are you referring to the theme (MythMediaStream) I made or just in
> general?

No, your theme in particular.

This is what it looks like on my screen:
http://i45.tinypic.com/287j879.png

> BTW, do you still want some screenshots? The theme itself has 6 included in
> the themes root directory and if required, I can put some more on the wiki
> section on my project site.

I think screen shots are always nice, prevent having to go an set the
theme in myth to see what it looks like.

I'm not a fan of your Watch Recording screen, you don't see the list
of recordings as you enter the screen, just the program name... maybe
it's just because I'm so used to using other themes

Also, in the Videos , the theme shows Season number and Episode number
for all movies (0/0) looks a bit weird
Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]
> > When using the old style menus, the text of the labels is black and so is
> > the background making it unreadable.
>

> > JY, are you referring to the theme (MythMediaStream) I made or just in
> > general?
>
> No, your theme in particular.
>
> This is what it looks like on my screen:
> http://i45.tinypic.com/287j879.png

This is not how it looks on my screen(s). I noticed that you use a Mac
as I run on Linux, not sure if that has something to do with it. I
will look into this...

> I think screen shots are always nice, prevent having to go an set the
> theme in myth to see what it looks like.

You're right, will add them to my projectpage.

> Also, in the Videos , the theme shows Season number and Episode number
> for all movies (0/0) looks a bit weird

Changed that part to N/A as it does look weird indeed.

Thanks for your comments!
Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]
> Ted,
> I plainly LOVE this theme.
> I think Your contribution is hard to underestimate regarding i.e. converting XBMC users to MythTV.
> Have You plans to add MythMusic Streaming playback & ZoneMinder screens ?
> -br

Thanks, much appeciated. I will continue to develop this theme for
0.26 as well and still have plugins on my to do list which are not
themed yet...
Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]
Ted,
Excellent to hear this. Thx !
Maybe You will find it useful: I'm using this theme with 0.25.2 with backported mythmusic stream playback.
Last days I spent some time to fix/polish some things in respect 0.25.
I also preliminary add mythmusic stream playback (config screens are still more hack than proper work, but they at least looks consistent).
File names in archive should be good explanation what I do.

All the best !
Dnia 14 sierpnia 2012 9:11 Ted Verhagen &lt;ted.verhagen@gmail.com&gt; napisał(a):
&gt; Ted,
&gt; I plainly LOVE this theme.
&gt; I think Your contribution is hard to underestimate regarding i.e. converting XBMC users to MythTV.
&gt; Have You plans to add MythMusic Streaming playback &amp; ZoneMinder screens ?
&gt; -br
Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]
Ted Verhagen <ted.verhagen@gmail.com> says:
> > This is what it looks like on my screen:
> > http://i45.tinypic.com/287j879.png
>
> This is not how it looks on my screen(s). I noticed that you use a
> Mac as I run on Linux, not sure if that has something to do with it.

I think it does. I, too, see this issue occur on OS X but not on Linux
(both 0.24). More importantly, I've see the same issue, and the same
Mac/Linux dichotomy, with other themes; Mythbuntu is an
example. (Metallurgy is an example of a theme that does not exhibit
this issue.) Moving qtlook.txt out of the theme directory is cures the
issue, if rather drastically, by changing the black background to the
default gray.

A theme-specific issue I noticed with MythMediaStream is that it does
not preserve the aspect ratio of non-widescreen thumbnails in Watch
Recordings.
Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]
Well.

Back after 2.5 months away, upgraded all my machines to 0.26 and
installed this theme.

I have to say, that I love it... It's the best looking one IMHO, and I
love the new menu organisation once you select the right menu type...

The only confusing thing is as soon as you type a number while
watching TV it says something about changing to channel, when all I'm
doing is entereing a number to skip by that many minutes.

Otherwise, great job...

On OSX, still have the issue with black text on black in the old settings...
Re: MythMediaStream theme [ In reply to ]
Jean-Yves Avenard <jean-yves@avenard.org> says:
> On OSX, still have the issue with black text on black in the old
> settings...

It's due to the way qtlook.txt is interpreted on OS X versus
Linux. Copying Terra's version helps somewhat in the interim.