Mailing List Archive

How many themes use percentages or offsets inside buttonlists?
Right now, there is a flaw in the "area" inherited by a buttonlist --
instead of the buttonitem inheriting the <buttonarea>, it inherits the
"full" <area>. Inside the buttonlist, if you specify an absolute
value for the button's width, this does not cause any problems.
However, if you use percentages or offset, then it causes a problem,
and must be compensated for.

For example, if I have

<buttonarea>25, 0, -25, 100%</buttonarea>

Then inside the buttonitem's states, I must do

<area>0, 0, -50, 60</area>

to compensate for the buttonarea being 50 smaller than the full area.

I can fix this flaw in the MythUI code, however it would break any
themes which use percentages/offsets, and have "compensated" for the
area being wrong.

I would like to hear opinions on whether this flaw should be fixed, or
left alone.

Thanks,

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Re: How many themes use percentages or offsets inside buttonlists? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 1 Feb 2012, John P Poet wrote:

> I can fix this flaw in the MythUI code, however it would break any
> themes which use percentages/offsets, and have "compensated" for the
> area being wrong.
>
> I would like to hear opinions on whether this flaw should be fixed, or
> left alone.

I would say fix it on some major upgrade, where other updates to themes will
be necessary anyway.

Re: How many themes use percentages or offsets inside buttonlists? [ In reply to ]

Feb 2012, John P Poet wrote:

>> I can fix this flaw in the MythUI
code, however it would break any themes which use percentages/offsets,
and have "compensated" for the area being wrong. I would like to hear
opinions on whether this flaw should be fixed, or left alone.

would say fix it on some major upgrade, where other updates to themes
will
> be necessary anyway.

I also vote for fix it. I will update the
Blue-Abstract theme where required.

Robert S
Re: How many themes use percentages or offsets inside buttonlists? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Robert Siebert <trebor_s@web.de> wrote:
> Am 02.02.2012 14:59, schrieb Christopher X. Candreva:
>
> On Wed, 1 Feb 2012, John P Poet wrote:
>
> I can fix this flaw in the MythUI code, however it would break any themes
> which use percentages/offsets, and have "compensated" for the area being
> wrong. I would like to hear opinions on whether this flaw should be fixed,
> or left alone.
>
> I would say fix it on some major upgrade, where other updates to themes will
> be necessary anyway.
>
> I also vote for fix it. I will update the Blue-Abstract theme where
> required.
>
> Robert S

Stuart Morgan has veto rights (of course), but as it stands now, I am
planning on committing a fix on Sunday.

Thanks,

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Re: How many themes use percentages or offsets inside buttonlists? [ In reply to ]
In data giovedì 2 febbraio 2012 22:35:11, Robert Siebert ha scritto:

> Am 02.02.2012 14:59, schrieb Christopher X. Candreva:
>
> > On Wed, 1
> Feb 2012, John P Poet wrote:
> >
> >> I can fix this flaw in the MythUI
> code, however it would break any themes which use percentages/offsets,
> and have "compensated" for the area being wrong. I would like to hear
> opinions on whether this flaw should be fixed, or left alone.

> would say fix it on some major upgrade, where other updates to themes
> will
> > be necessary anyway.
>
> I also vote for fix it. I will update the
> Blue-Abstract theme where required.
>
> Robert S

I agree fix it now.
I need to upgrade my theme yet for 0.25 ...i will do that too.

Federico
Re: How many themes use percentages or offsets inside buttonlists? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 1:52 AM, Federico Ferri <federico.ferri@yahoo.it> wrote:
> In data giovedì 2 febbraio 2012 22:35:11, Robert Siebert ha scritto:
>>
>> Am 02.02.2012 14:59, schrieb Christopher X. Candreva:

>> code, however it would break any themes which use percentages/offsets,
>> and have "compensated" for the area being wrong. I would like to hear
>> opinions on whether this flaw should be fixed, or left alone.

>> would say fix it on some major upgrade, where other updates to themes
>> will
>> > be necessary anyway.
>>
>> I also vote for fix it. I will update the
>> Blue-Abstract theme where required.
>>
>> Robert S
>>

> I agree fix it now.
> I need to upgrade my theme yet for 0.25 ...i will do that too.
>
> Federico

This change has been committed to master. It does not look like
relative offset/sizes are used much in existing themes, so the impact
should be minimal.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.