Mailing List Archive

Theme-provided fonts (was Re: new theme/join the competition)
On 01/28/2010 06:15 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Might also want a README or INSTALL file that mentions the need to
> install the fonts on the system before using the theme.

So, thanks to Chris Pinkham's finding that Qt supports loading
application-specific fonts (i.e. fonts not installed on the system),
Myth now supports loading theme-provided fonts for UI themes. That
means that you no longer need to suggest that users install the fonts on
their systems (though it doesn't hurt if you do suggest installing/they
do install them).

As mentioned in http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/23594, simply
ensure you place (redistributable) TrueType font (.ttf), OpenType font
(.otf), or TrueType font collection (.ttc) files anywhere within the
theme directory structure, specify the font face within the theme XML as
before, and the fonts will be used--whether they're installed on the
system or not. No changes to theme files are required.

Wonder how many messages we'll get from users who never installed the
fonts for the themes they've been using that, "The text looks different,
now." :)

Mike
Re: Theme-provided fonts (was Re: new theme/join the competition) [ In reply to ]
> So, thanks to Chris Pinkham's finding that Qt supports loading
> application-specific fonts (i.e. fonts not installed on the system), Myth
> now supports loading theme-provided fonts for UI themes.  That means that
> you no longer need to suggest that users install the fonts on their systems
> (though it doesn't hurt if you do suggest installing/they do install them).
>
> As mentioned in http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/23594, simply ensure
> you place (redistributable) TrueType font (.ttf), OpenType font (.otf), or
> TrueType font collection (.ttc) files anywhere within the theme directory
> structure, specify the font face within the theme XML as before, and the
> fonts will be used--whether they're installed on the system or not. No
> changes to theme files are required.
>
> Wonder how many messages we'll get from users who never installed the fonts
> for the themes they've been using that, "The text looks different, now."  :)
>
> Mike

Great work guys, thanks for implementing this!