Mailing List Archive

Help requested adjusting a .22 theme
Hi,

I've been following the 'annoyances' thread with interest and it got me
wondering if I am able to adjust one of the provided themes to work a
little better for me.

I use the 'mythcenter' theme. I'd like to change the behavior of the
following:

1) When in the watch recordings screen, after I watch something I delete
it. Upon deleting, the highlighted program pops to the top of the list
instead of the line just above or below the item I deleted.

2) In the program finder screen (under manage recordings, schedule
recordings), I find the highlight loses it's place if you go too far to
the right. Try this: go down the alphabet to say around 'd' or 'e'.
Then hit the right arrow, or right button and start scrolling thru the
shows to somewhere in the middle of the pack. Hit the right button
again and you're on the times for the given show. NOW - Accidently hit
right again and your at the beginning of the show list...Ug!!

3) In any of the settings screens, if a choice is simply a checkbox, I
have a very tough time seeing it. Is there a way to make it more
obvious the cursor is active on a particular line?

4) I'd like to make the font bigger and possibly display more
information in the program details screen. (I get to it by hitting the
'U' key)

Thank you!
Rick

Re: Help requested adjusting a .22 theme [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Rick <rbonafied@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been following the 'annoyances' thread with interest and it got me
> wondering if I am able to adjust one of the provided themes to work a
> little better for me.
>
> I use the 'mythcenter' theme.  I'd like to change the behavior of the
> following:
>
> 1) When in the watch recordings screen, after I watch something I delete
> it.  Upon deleting, the highlighted program pops to the top of the list
> instead of the line just above or below the item I deleted.
>
> 2) In the program finder screen (under manage recordings, schedule
> recordings), I find the highlight loses it's place if you go too far to
> the right.  Try this: go down the alphabet to say around 'd' or 'e'.
> Then hit the right arrow, or right button and start scrolling thru the
> shows to somewhere in the middle of the pack.  Hit the right button
> again and you're on the times for the given show.  NOW - Accidently hit
> right again and your at the beginning of the show list...Ug!!
>
> 3) In any of the settings screens, if a choice is simply a checkbox, I
> have a very tough time seeing it.  Is there a way to make it more
> obvious the cursor is active on a particular line?
>
> 4) I'd like to make the font bigger and possibly display more
> information in the program details screen.  (I get to it by hitting the
> 'U' key)
>
> Thank you!
> Rick

All the answers Mike Dean gave you on the users list to these same
questions are basically the right ones.

Robert
Re: Help requested adjusting a .22 theme [ In reply to ]
On 01/01/2010 11:55 AM, Robert McNamara wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Rick wrote:
>
>> 3) In any of the settings screens, if a choice is simply a checkbox, I
>> have a very tough time seeing it. Is there a way to make it more
>> obvious the cursor is active on a particular line?
> All the answers Mike Dean gave you on the users list to these same
> questions are basically the right ones.

For the real theming-related one (#3), see
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7364 and the patch Michael Lynch did
for it . You likely just need to do the same type of changes for your
selected theme.

Also, note that if you're using a version of 0.22-fixes /before/ r22570,
you'll have the issues you mention and they'll be fixed just by upgrading.

Mike
Re: Help requested adjusting a .22 theme [ In reply to ]
Robert McNamara wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Rick <rbonafied@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been following the 'annoyances' thread with interest and it got me
>> wondering if I am able to adjust one of the provided themes to work a
>> little better for me.
>>
>> I use the 'mythcenter' theme. I'd like to change the behavior of the
>> following:
>>
>> 1) When in the watch recordings screen, after I watch something I delete
>> it. Upon deleting, the highlighted program pops to the top of the list
>> instead of the line just above or below the item I deleted.
>>
>> 2) In the program finder screen (under manage recordings, schedule
>> recordings), I find the highlight loses it's place if you go too far to
>> the right. Try this: go down the alphabet to say around 'd' or 'e'.
>> Then hit the right arrow, or right button and start scrolling thru the
>> shows to somewhere in the middle of the pack. Hit the right button
>> again and you're on the times for the given show. NOW - Accidently hit
>> right again and your at the beginning of the show list...Ug!!
>>
>> 3) In any of the settings screens, if a choice is simply a checkbox, I
>> have a very tough time seeing it. Is there a way to make it more
>> obvious the cursor is active on a particular line?
>>
>> 4) I'd like to make the font bigger and possibly display more
>> information in the program details screen. (I get to it by hitting the
>> 'U' key)
>>
>> Thank you!
>> Rick
>>

> All the answers Mike Dean gave you on the users list to these same
> questions are basically the right ones.
>
> Robert

Great! Any suggestions on #2 above?

Rick
Re: Help requested adjusting a .22 theme [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Rick <rbonafied@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert McNamara wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Rick <rbonafied@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been following the 'annoyances' thread with interest and it got me
>>> wondering if I am able to adjust one of the provided themes to work a
>>> little better for me.
>>>
>>> I use the 'mythcenter' theme.  I'd like to change the behavior of the
>>> following:
>>>
>>> 1) When in the watch recordings screen, after I watch something I delete
>>> it.  Upon deleting, the highlighted program pops to the top of the list
>>> instead of the line just above or below the item I deleted.
>>>
>>> 2) In the program finder screen (under manage recordings, schedule
>>> recordings), I find the highlight loses it's place if you go too far to
>>> the right.  Try this: go down the alphabet to say around 'd' or 'e'.
>>> Then hit the right arrow, or right button and start scrolling thru the
>>> shows to somewhere in the middle of the pack.  Hit the right button
>>> again and you're on the times for the given show.  NOW - Accidently hit
>>> right again and your at the beginning of the show list...Ug!!
>>>
>>> 3) In any of the settings screens, if a choice is simply a checkbox, I
>>> have a very tough time seeing it.  Is there a way to make it more
>>> obvious the cursor is active on a particular line?
>>>
>>> 4) I'd like to make the font bigger and possibly display more
>>> information in the program details screen.  (I get to it by hitting the
>>> 'U' key)
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>> Rick
>>>

>> All the answers Mike Dean gave you on the users list to these same
>> questions are basically the right ones.
>>
>> Robert
>>
> Great!  Any suggestions on #2 above?
>
> Rick

That's a non-themable behavior so you'd need to convince whomever
wrote/converted the screen that the behavior is wrong, or submit a
patch to do so yourself.

Robert
Re: Help requested adjusting a .22 theme [ In reply to ]
Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 01/01/2010 11:55 AM, Robert McNamara wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Rick wrote:
>>
>>> 3) In any of the settings screens, if a choice is simply a checkbox, I
>>> have a very tough time seeing it. Is there a way to make it more
>>> obvious the cursor is active on a particular line?
>> All the answers Mike Dean gave you on the users list to these same
>> questions are basically the right ones.
>
> For the real theming-related one (#3), see
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7364 and the patch Michael Lynch did
> for it . You likely just need to do the same type of changes for your
> selected theme.
>
> Also, note that if you're using a version of 0.22-fixes /before/ r22570,
> you'll have the issues you mention and they'll be fixed just by upgrading.
>
> Mike

Unfortunately the patched qtlook.txt didn't help me. Is there a qtlook
value that controls the width of the lines surrounding the checkbox
text? With a checkbox, I don't see where "active" shows a different
color. If I could change the color of the lined box around the text or
make the line thicker, I think that would help.

Thanks!
Rick
Re: Help requested adjusting a .22 theme [ In reply to ]
On 01/01/2010 02:05 PM, Rick wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> All the answers Mike Dean gave you on the users list to these same
>>> questions are basically the right ones.
>> For the real theming-related one (#3), see
>> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7364 and the patch Michael Lynch
>> did for it . You likely just need to do the same type of changes for
>> your selected theme.
>>
>> Also, note that if you're using a version of 0.22-fixes /before/
>> r22570, you'll have the issues you mention and they'll be fixed just
>> by upgrading.
> Unfortunately the patched qtlook.txt didn't help me. Is there a
> qtlook value that controls the width of the lines surrounding the
> checkbox text? With a checkbox, I don't see where "active" shows a
> different color. If I could change the color of the lined box around
> the text or make the line thicker, I think that would help.

http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2009-October/267002.html

But, as I said, please make sure you have a current-enough version of
MythTV 0.22-fixes--otherwise, you're wasting your time.

mythfrontend --version

and look at the SVN revision info.

Mike
Re: Help requested adjusting a .22 theme [ In reply to ]
> Great!  Any suggestions on #2 above?

Well, it's not a THEME based solution, but on the user mailing list in
the 0.22 annoyances thread, I posted a patch to allow you to override
key presses in buttonlists to activate a custom action. One of the
things you can do with that patch is make is so that the right arrow
takes no action (which means not switching focus to the next item). I
haven't looked at the theme code for the screen in question, but if
it's done the way I suspect (just a series of individual button
lists), you should be able to solve the problem with my code patch and
then a slight modification to the theme. However, if it's done with a
buttontree, it will be a little trickier, but I think you could pull
it off with a combination of 2 of my patches (my other patch is ticket
#7826, which allows customizing individual columns of a buttontree).

More info on my patches: http://www.ronfrazier.net/mythtv/0.22/index.html

--
Ron
Re: Help requested adjusting a .22 theme [ In reply to ]
Rick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been following the 'annoyances' thread with interest and it got me
> wondering if I am able to adjust one of the provided themes to work a
> little better for me.

<snip>

> 2) In the program finder screen (under manage recordings, schedule
> recordings), I find the highlight loses it's place if you go too far to
> the right. Try this: go down the alphabet to say around 'd' or 'e'.
> Then hit the right arrow, or right button and start scrolling thru the
> shows to somewhere in the middle of the pack. Hit the right button
> again and you're on the times for the given show. NOW - Accidently hit
> right again and your at the beginning of the show list...Ug!!

The change of focus is actually how it's supposed to work and isn't a
bug. The program list updating and resetting to the first item is just a
side affect of the focus changing. I've just committed a change to only
update the program list if the selected letter changes which I hope will
go some way to resolving this issue for you.

Paul H.
Re: Help requested adjusting a .22 theme [ In reply to ]