Mailing List Archive

Playlists, and 0.22-compliant themes
1) The Terra and Graphite themes, as of r22514, do not indicate in
Watch Recordings whether a recording is part of a playlist (unless
there's some subtle graphic element that I'm missing).

Is this an intentional design decision by the themes' creators?
Aside from Metallurgy, other 0.22-compliant and/or official themes
do indicate this, including Blue Abstract, Mythbuntu, and
MythCenter-wide, and so did the themes I used pre-0.22 (most often
the now dearly-departed Retro).

2) Which themes have been updated for 0.22? This should be a question
with an obvious answer, but it's not. MythCenter/MythCenter-wide,
for example, was mentioned on -users as recently as the 7th as not
having been updated
(<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/400980#400980>),
but the version I am using that came with my (unmodified) ATrpms
packages sure looks updated to me, with no broken features that I
can see, although there haven't been any substantial
MythCenter-related changes in SVN since that date. Can we assume
that all of the "Official" themes at
<URL:http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Themes> are now
0.22-compliant?

--
Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> | San Francisco CA US
Re: Playlists, and 0.22-compliant themes [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 5:36 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> wrote:
> 1) The Terra and Graphite themes, as of r22514, do not indicate in
>   Watch Recordings whether a recording is part of a playlist (unless
>   there's some subtle graphic element that I'm missing).

Added to Terra in:

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/22528

>   Is this an intentional design decision by the themes' creators?

Well, not necessarily a decision to spite those who do use them, but
speaking for Graphite, I don't, so I didn't.

> Can we assume
>   that all of the "Official" themes at
>   <URL:http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Themes> are now
>   0.22-compliant?

None of them are. All of the "legacy" themes are a menu only. Every
other screen falls back to "default" (for 4:3 themes) and default-wide
(for 16:9 themes). The default themes are not usable themes unto
themselves, but exist as "emergency fallbacks" when the theme does not
have a given screen themed. In the case of all the legacy themes,
this is every screen except the menu.

Robert
Re: Playlists, and 0.22-compliant themes [ In reply to ]
Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara@gmail.com> says:
> Added to Terra in:
>
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/22528

*Groan* I searched for 'playlist' in Trac, but missed this anyway.

> > Can we assume that all of the "Official" themes at
> > <URL:http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Themes> are now
> > 0.22-compliant?
>
> None of them [is].

I presume you meant to insert here ". . . except Graphite and Terra."

> All of the "legacy" themes are a menu only.

Right. I knew, before moving to trunk, that the non-updated themes
would "fall through" to the default pages; I'd expected them to all be
bare, themeless pages, though, not the still-attractive and themed
ones we get.

Let me reword my question in another way: What makes a theme
0.22-compliant? Metallurgy, for example, is surprisingly able to
display movie posters in MythVideo despite not having been updated to
use MythUI. It doesn't display background fan art, though (I haven't
tried this with other non-updated themes); is this so because it
hasn't been updated?

--
Frontend/backend: P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array
Backend: Quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz, 6.6TB sw RAID 6
Re: Playlists, and 0.22-compliant themes [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 5:21 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> wrote:

> Let me reword my question in another way: What makes a theme
> 0.22-compliant? Metallurgy, for example, is surprisingly able to
> display movie posters in MythVideo despite not having been updated to
> use MythUI. It doesn't display background fan art, though (I haven't
> tried this with other non-updated themes); is this so because it
> hasn't been updated?

Metallurgy is actually getting the MythUI treatment, so the version in
trunk (in myththemes) is about 30% converted to MythUI. This probably
accounts for what you are seeing. The display of fanart/banner/etc.
is up to the theme-- I expect Stuart just doesn't feel that it fits
with the character of the theme.

Robert