Mailing List Archive

Anyone upgraded to V34
Might be a project for the Easter long weekend.

Re: Anyone upgraded to V34 [ In reply to ]
I'll let you go first.

Re: Anyone upgraded to V34 [ In reply to ]
I updated a couple of weeks ago (Arch Linux).

All good.

Re: Anyone upgraded to V34 [ In reply to ]
I upgraded my Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS backend

and a Linuxmint frontend as follows (without a problem):-

(I found previous upgrades painless too so I didn't even bother to
backup the database)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/34
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo shutdown -r now
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:mythbuntu/33

Re: Anyone upgraded to V34 [ In reply to ]
Encouraged by Robert's response, I dived in and upgraded. All very smooth, easy, and reasonably rapid. Also Ubuntu 22.04.

$ mythconverg_backup.pl
$ mythconverg_backup.pl --backup_xmltvid
$ sudo systemctl stop mythtv-backend
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/34
$ sudo apt upgrade mythtv
$ sudo systemctl start mythtv-backend

On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 13:01:38 +1300

Re: Anyone upgraded to V34 [ In reply to ]
I upgraded my server to Ubuntu 24.04 and mythtv 0.34 about 3-4 weeks
ago, went smoothly.  Mythtv was working but we barely use it now days.
Ubuntu (gnome) has quite a lot of minor lockup problems, especially
anything settings related, eg main settings, repositories. I discovered
yesterday that mythtv-backend has a problem on startup and looks like
it's crashing but haven't investigated yet.

Re: Anyone upgraded to V34 [ In reply to ]
Discovered that my problem was an old script I had running that looked
for HD Homerun units on the network and restarted mythtv-backend when
they became available. Looks like something was going wrong causing
lots of backend restarts and consequently restart/start then being
blocked.

From vague memory of mythtv changes a long time ago I don't think the
script is needed anymore so I've disabled it and mythtv 0.34 looks fine
now.

Re: Anyone upgraded to V34 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 10:36:45 +1300, you wrote:

>Discovered that my problem was an old script I had running that looked
>for HD Homerun units on the network and restarted mythtv-backend when
>they became available. Looks like something was going wrong causing
>lots of backend restarts and consequently restart/start then being
>blocked.
>
>From vague memory of mythtv changes a long time ago I don't think the
>script is needed anymore so I've disabled it and mythtv 0.34 looks fine
>now.

When using networked tuners like HDHomeruns, or using external
frontends, you do need to use some method of ensuring mythbackend only
starts after the network is up. Otherwise there is a race condition
where mythbackend will only see the localhost network interface and
will not bring up the normal network interface. It sounds like you
have never implemented the right sort of fix for this using systemd,
and have been relying on your old script doing things externally to
systemd. Even though your system now seems to be booting ok, the race
condition will still exist and at some point the timing of things at
boot time will change (for example, if you have an ext partition do an
automatic fsck at boot time). And then mythbackend will not start
properly.

The right fix for this when using networked tuners is normally to make
the mythbackend systemd unit wait until the networked tuners respond
to network traffic. With HDHomerun tuners, you can use the
hdhomerun_config command to tell systemd when the tuners are
responding. The best way to do this is to create a new systemd unit
that calls hdhomerun_config repeatedly until it gets a response. Then
have the mythbackend systemd unit wait for the new unit before it
starts.

Something like this should work (but as I do not have any HDHomerun
tuners I have not tested this).

sudo systemctl edit wait-for-hdhomerun-response.service

Then paste this into the editor:

[Unit]
Description=Wait for an HDHomerun networked tuner to respond
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStartPre=/usr/local/bin/wait-for-hdhomerun-response.sh
ExecStart=/bin/true

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Create the /usr/local/bin/wait-for-hdhomerun-response.sh file and put
this in it:

#!/bin/bash

TRIES=30

echo "Waiting for HDHomerun"
for i in $(seq $TRIES); do
hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF get /sys/model > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
echo "Found HDHomerun at try $i"
exit 0
fi
sleep 1.0
done
echo "Cannot find HDHomerun after $TRIES tries"
exit 1

Then do:

sudo chown root:root /usr/local/bin/wait-for-hdhomerun-response.sh
sudo chmod a=r,g=r,u=rwx /usr/local/bin/wait-for-hdhomerun-response.sh

sudo systemctl edit mythtv-backend.service

Paste this into the editor:

[Unit]

Wants=wait-for-hdhomerun-response.service
After=wait-for-hdhomerun-response.service

Then do:

sudo systemctl daemon-reload

Re: Anyone upgraded to V34 [ In reply to ]
I think I use to have mythtv backend startup dependent on the network
having started.  From memory the problem I had my script for was that
after a power cut my server could be up and running before either the
network router or the HD Homerun and mythtv never looked for the HD
Homerun again (which I think it may look for now but haven't double
checked).  I also wanted mythtv running if one/both homeruns weren't
available, this was all many years ago and homeruns/server are also now
together on an unmanaged switch instead of the router.

Cheers

Re: Anyone upgraded to V34 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 16:10:14 +1300, you wrote:

>I think I use to have mythtv backend startup dependent on the network
>having started.  From memory the problem I had my script for was that
>after a power cut my server could be up and running before either the
>network router or the HD Homerun and mythtv never looked for the HD
>Homerun again (which I think it may look for now but haven't double
>checked).  I also wanted mythtv running if one/both homeruns weren't
>available, this was all many years ago and homeruns/server are also now
>together on an unmanaged switch instead of the router.

Yes, routers can take a long time to boot. Switches are usually up
very rapidly, so after a power cut things on the local network will
normally be accessible well before the Internet via the router (or
traffic to other subnets on the router). The systemd units I posted
will time out after 30 tries at 1 second between tries, and then
mythbackend will start regardless of the HDHomeruns being available.

As far as I know, mythbackend still does not ever look at tuner
availability except at startup.