Mailing List Archive

Disk management
tl;dr I want to control the settings that myth uses to delete
recordings. I want to leave me more free disc.

I am fighting off the day I ditch my NFS system and spend yet more money
on a box where the disks are connected via 6G/s SATA3.

I have noticed that of the 1TB of disc about 99% is used, and at 5G/hour
this is not much. Currently I have about a 2/3 chance of completing an
hour long SD recording and some where between zero and SFA chance of a
HD recording. But back when I started out, with empty discs, everything
was humming.

There are plenty of recordings ready to be deleted. I have seen options
that control how and when recordings are deleted, I would like to tell
the system to keep at least 20G so I have an hour of 4 HD recordings
available but I cannot find those settings.

So this is almost my last role of the dice to make this work and save
the $400 or so it will cost me to rebuild...

Worik

--
Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
worik.stanton@gmail.com 021-1680650, (03) 4821804

Re: Disk management [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 07 Feb 2015 12:47:06 +1300, you wrote:

>tl;dr I want to control the settings that myth uses to delete
>recordings. I want to leave me more free disc.
>

>I am fighting off the day I ditch my NFS system and spend yet more money
>on a box where the disks are connected via 6G/s SATA3.
>
>I have noticed that of the 1TB of disc about 99% is used, and at 5G/hour
>this is not much. Currently I have about a 2/3 chance of completing an
>hour long SD recording and some where between zero and SFA chance of a
>HD recording. But back when I started out, with empty discs, everything
>was humming.
>

>There are plenty of recordings ready to be deleted. I have seen options
>that control how and when recordings are deleted, I would like to tell
>the system to keep at least 20G so I have an hour of 4 HD recordings
>available but I cannot find those settings.
>
>So this is almost my last role of the dice to make this work and save
>the $400 or so it will cost me to rebuild...
>
>Worik

Mythbackend checks the space and does expires on the go as it records,
so you really should not be having this problem at all. I believe it
does it at least every quarter of an hour, and the amount of free
space it makes is large enough to allow recordings to work until the
next time it does it. I see messages like this all the time in
mythbackend.log:

(CalcParams) AutoExpire: CalcParams(): Max required Free Space: 1.0 GB
w/freq: 15 min

But if the free space reported by your NFS connection is not correct,
as happens with some NAS systems, it would not be able to do that
properly, so that is the first thing I would check.

My guess is that the "1.0 GB" in that message is a setting somewhere,
but I was unable to find it searching the database. You might need to
get a copy of the source code and find out just how it works and what
settings are used.

Re: Disk management [ In reply to ]
On 07/02/15 12:47, worik wrote:
> There are plenty of recordings ready to be deleted. I have seen options
> that control how and when recordings are deleted, I would like to tell
> the system to keep at least 20G so I have an hour of 4 HD recordings
> available but I cannot find those settings.

Have a look at Setup > Video > General > Auto Expire (2nd screen) >
Extra disk space

Simon

Re: Disk management [ In reply to ]
On 07/02/15 15:51, Simon Paterson wrote:
>> There are plenty of recordings ready to be deleted. I have seen options
>> that control how and when recordings are deleted, I would like to tell
>> the system to keep at least 20G so I have an hour of 4 HD recordings
>> available but I cannot find those settings.
>>
> Have a look at Setup > Video > General > Auto Expire (2nd screen) >
> Extra disk space

Thank you. But that does not match my UI.

I expect you are talking back end (mythtv-setup) but I have no "setup"
at the top level.

On the front end when I switch to Setup -> Apparence -> menu theme
"Classic" I have setup -> General (no help) or setup->videos
settings->Geeral settings".... and so on.

I am using Ubuntu 12.04 and Myth 0.25.2

cheers
Wori

Re: Disk management [ In reply to ]
On 07/02/15 15:51, Simon Paterson wrote:
> Have a look at Setup > Video > General > Auto Expire (2nd screen) >
> Extra disk space

Setup->TV Settings->General

has an entry for "Extra Disk Space" "Extra disk space (in Gigabytes)
that you want to keep free on the recording file systems beyond what
MythTV requires. "
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Detailed_configuration_Frontend).
"TV Settings"? I did not think to look there. Searching the Internet
for "auto expire" "extra disk space" found that.

thank you, this has been a lot of help!

Worik