Hi,

The more I think about this, the sillier it seems, but now that I rely
on myth, I thought I'd ask before changing anything. Getting anything
working at all was such a mission in the first place.

In my head a frequency is assigned a channel number by some authority or
convention. I want to change the (myth-assigned?) channel numbers so
that the EPG sorts correctly. Will this break anything?

Aaron.

Re: Changing Myth channel numbers [ In reply to ]
Do it in mythweb is the best place. No it shouldn't hurt anything.

Re: Changing Myth channel numbers [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Aaron Pelly <apelly@monkeymasters.co.nz>wrote:

> In my head a frequency is assigned a channel number by some authority or
> convention. I want to change the (myth-assigned?) channel numbers so that
> the EPG sorts correctly. Will this break anything?

As Nick said, go for it. I'll add a little detail: channel number
(channel.channum in the database) is only used for selecting a channel in
the UI using the number buttons on your remote. You can set it to whatever
you like or nothing at all. If you have multiple copies of a channel (e.g.
because you have separate video sources for Sky and Freeview) it's best to
give them the same channum but it's not compulsory - the consequences would
be that if the system was recording on one copy of a channel you wouldn't
be able to type its number in live tv and would have to use the other
number; if you give both copies the same number then the system will
automatically use the available channel.

There are other fields that also identify a channel:
callsign is the identifier of the channel as used by the scheduler. If you
have a recording rule that says "record program X on channel Y" then the
scheduler will record it on any channel which has callsign Y (and that has
program X in it's guide data). So if you have multiple copies of the same
channel (e.g. Sky and Freeview) you definitely want them to have the same
callsign.

name is the name of the channel as shown in the UI. You can set this to
whatever you like.

xmltvid is the name of the channel in the guide data. You need to set this
correctly or the EPG won't work. What you should set it to depends on how
you're getting your guide data.

chanid is the database table's primary key and is used for linking tables
together in the database. You'll never even see this unless you access the
database directly.

Cheers,
Steve
Re: Changing Myth channel numbers [ In reply to ]
On 16/05/14 12:08, Steve Hodge wrote:
> I'll add a little detail
Fantastic! Thank you very much Steve.

Re: Changing Myth channel numbers [ In reply to ]
On 16/05/14 11:21, Nick Rout wrote:
> Do it in mythweb is the best place. No it shouldn't hurt anything.
I had some confusion on one frontend because I had forgotten about the
channel sort order, but ultimately that was good advice. Thanks Nick.

Re: Changing Myth channel numbers [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 16 May 2014 12:20:30 +1200, you wrote:

>On 16/05/14 12:08, Steve Hodge wrote:
>> I'll add a little detail
>Fantastic! Thank you very much Steve.

One more tidbit - on FreeviewHD (DVB-T), the channel numbers are
defined by the MPHEG5 EPG data that is broadcast. When channel
changes occur, any FreeviewHD certified device that is currently tuned
to at least one valid channel and is switched on enough to receive it
should read the MHEG5 data and automatically make the changes without
any human intervention. My Sony TV does that - it has automatically
done the recent channel changes. My mother's identical TV did not as
she normally turns it completely off instead of leaving it on standby.

So it is best in MythTV to assign channels the same channel numbers
(channel.channum) that are being used by FreeviewHD. Here is the list
for the Wharite transmitter:

+---------+--------------+----------------------+
| channum | callsign | name |
+---------+--------------+----------------------+
| 1 | TV ONE | TV ONE |
| 2 | TV2 | TV2 |
| 3 | TV3 | TV3 |
| 4 | FOUR | FOUR |
| 5 | Maori TV | Maori Television |
| 6 | TVONE PLUS1 | TV ONE PLUS1 |
| 7 | TV2+1 | TV2+1 |
| 8 | TV3 PLUS1 | TV3 PLUS1 |
| 9 | C4 | C4 |
| 10 | PRIME | PRIME |
| 12 | ChoiceTV | Choice TV |
| 14 | Sommet | Sommet Sports |
| 16 | ALJAZEERA | Al Jazeera |
| 18 | Shopping | The Shopping Channel |
| 20 | TVSN | TVSN Shopping |
| 21 | YesShop | Yes Shop |
| 22 | Parlmnt | Parliament TV |
| 24 | Te Reo | Te Reo |
| 26 | Firstlight | Firstlight |
| 28 | ChineseTV | ChineseTV |
| 33 | TV33 | TV33 |
| 36 | Apna | Apna Television |
| 50 | RNZ National | Radio NZ National |
| 51 | RNZ Concert | Radio NZ Concert |
| 71 | BaseFM | BaseFM |
Re: Changing Myth channel numbers [ In reply to ]
> One more tidbit - on FreeviewHD (DVB-T), the channel numbers are
> defined by the MPHEG5 EPG data that is broadcast. When channel
> changes occur, any FreeviewHD certified device that is currently tuned
> to at least one valid channel and is switched on enough to receive it
> should read the MHEG5 data and automatically make the changes without
> any human intervention.
That's kind of what I originally suspected. I have changed mine now, and
I am happy with the result, but I will keep your post on-hand for later.
Thanks mate.

This prompts another couple of questions though:
1) Can myth do this automatic retuning? (Curious, doesn't matter much)
2) If the channel numbers are dictated by the service, how the hell do
you re-order channels in myth? Just make do with groups?

I have a couple of channel scanning questions, but I will save them for
another thread.

Aaron.

Re: Changing Myth channel numbers [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Aaron Pelly <apelly@monkeymasters.co.nz>wrote:

> On 16/05/14 13:43, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>
>> One more tidbit - on FreeviewHD (DVB-T), the channel numbers are
>> defined by the MPHEG5 EPG data that is broadcast. When channel
>> changes occur, any FreeviewHD certified device that is currently tuned
>> to at least one valid channel and is switched on enough to receive it
>> should read the MHEG5 data and automatically make the changes without
>> any human intervention.
>>
> That's kind of what I originally suspected. I have changed mine now, and I
> am happy with the result, but I will keep your post on-hand for later.
> Thanks mate.
>
> This prompts another couple of questions though:
> 1) Can myth do this automatic retuning? (Curious, doesn't matter much)

It doesn't parse the MHEG5 data, AFAIK.

> 2) If the channel numbers are dictated by the service, how the hell do you
> re-order channels in myth? Just make do with groups?

If you want them in a different order just use your own numbers. As I said
the channum is only used to select channels by number (primarily in live
tv) so what Freeview uses/recommends is really of no consequence to you.

Cheers,
Steve
Re: Changing Myth channel numbers [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 16 May 2014 14:29:32 +1200, you wrote:

>On 16/05/14 13:43, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> One more tidbit - on FreeviewHD (DVB-T), the channel numbers are
>> defined by the MPHEG5 EPG data that is broadcast. When channel
>> changes occur, any FreeviewHD certified device that is currently tuned
>> to at least one valid channel and is switched on enough to receive it
>> should read the MHEG5 data and automatically make the changes without
>> any human intervention.
>That's kind of what I originally suspected. I have changed mine now, and
>I am happy with the result, but I will keep your post on-hand for later.
>Thanks mate.
>
>This prompts another couple of questions though:
>1) Can myth do this automatic retuning? (Curious, doesn't matter much)

No. MythTV can do some MHEG5 stuff for the UK, I believe, but not
anything to do with channel tuning. I do my retuning and channel
changes manually - I usually write a script to do it using SQL.

>2) If the channel numbers are dictated by the service, how the hell do
>you re-order channels in myth? Just make do with groups?

The usual way is to use the Favourite channels for the ones you want
quick access to. But I do not do that, as I navigate quickly around
the full channel list channels using the channel numbers. Many years
ago I found a setting that made the numeric keys work in the guide by
going directly to the channel number. So if Prime is off screen, I
just key in 10 and there it is. Or 4072 for National Geographic from
Sky. Unfortunately, I can no longer find that option to tell you
where it is. I would love to find it again, as it is not set on my
mother's MythTV box and it annoys me every time I have to do something
for her.

Using the standard channel numbers in one form or another is a good
idea if you ever use external programme guides eg the Listener or the
newspaper listings. I use the Listener.

Re: Changing Myth channel numbers [ In reply to ]
On 16/05/14 16:26, Steve Hodge wrote:

> 1) Can myth do this automatic retuning? (Curious, doesn't matter much)
>

> It doesn't parse the MHEG5 data, AFAIK.

Understood.
Re: Changing Myth channel numbers [ In reply to ]
> Many years
> ago I found a setting that made the numeric keys work in the guide by
> going directly to the channel number. So if Prime is off screen, I
> just key in 10 and there it is. Or 4072 for National Geographic from
> Sky. Unfortunately, I can no longer find that option to tell you
> where it is. I would love to find it again, as it is not set on my
> mother's MythTV box and it annoys me every time I have to do something
> for her.

This is the guide behaviour out of the box for me, with live TV in the
guide. I went looking for the option you refer to and came up empty too.
When I tried it later it just worked. Is it related to having live TV
playing?

Re: Changing Myth channel numbers [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 22 May 2014 22:36:40 +1200, you wrote:

>On 16/05/14 16:27, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> Many years
>> ago I found a setting that made the numeric keys work in the guide by
>> going directly to the channel number. So if Prime is off screen, I
>> just key in 10 and there it is. Or 4072 for National Geographic from
>> Sky. Unfortunately, I can no longer find that option to tell you
>> where it is. I would love to find it again, as it is not set on my
>> mother's MythTV box and it annoys me every time I have to do something
>> for her.
>>
>This is the guide behaviour out of the box for me, with live TV in the
>guide. I went looking for the option you refer to and came up empty too.
>When I tried it later it just worked. Is it related to having live TV
>playing?

No, I have it in the guide from the main menu.

Re: Changing Myth channel numbers [ In reply to ]
> On Thu, 22 May 2014 22:36:40 +1200, you wrote:
>
>> On 16/05/14 16:27, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>>> Many years
>>> ago I found a setting that made the numeric keys work in the guide by
>>> going directly to the channel number. So if Prime is off screen, I
>>> just key in 10 and there it is. Or 4072 for National Geographic from
>>> Sky. Unfortunately, I can no longer find that option to tell you
>>> where it is. I would love to find it again, as it is not set on my
>>> mother's MythTV box and it annoys me every time I have to do something
>>> for her.
>>>
>> This is the guide behaviour out of the box for me, with live TV in the
>> guide. I went looking for the option you refer to and came up empty too.
>> When I tried it later it just worked. Is it related to having live TV
>> playing?
> No, I have it in the guide from the main menu.
Just checked. Me too. Works well.