the top of my building has line of sight to some transmitter or another,
how badly do reflections affect DVB-T?

Aaron.

Re: DVB-T in the city [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Aaron Pelly
<apelly@monkeymasters.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I live in an apartment building in the city.

Which city?

>I think there is a chance that
> DVB-T is available on the same coax as the outlet I currently use for DVB-S.
> Is this a stupid thought?

Unfortunately yes. The DVB-S cable is likely connected to a satellite
dish. The satellite dish will not receive DVB-T signals. So unless
they have used some weird way of multiplexing DVB-T and DVB-S on the
same cable, that ain't gonna work.

> If not, what are the chances of buying or bodging up a working Belling-Lee
> to F connector? Also, though there is a (slim) chance that the top of my
> building has line of sight to some transmitter or another, how badly do
> reflections affect DVB-T?

Very much a case by case thing. Freeviewnz.tv has a system where you
put in your address and it tells you where your signal should come
from. At least then with google maps or something you might get an
idea of which direction to look in! If it is Auckaland I believe they
transmit from SkyTower - do you have a line of sight to it? If you can
see it out your window, you should try an indoor antenna.

Re: DVB-T in the city [ In reply to ]
On 16/05/14 11:19, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Aaron Pelly
> <apelly@monkeymasters.co.nz> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I live in an apartment building in the city.
> Which city?
Auckland, as you guessed, but I thought the question might apply to
cities in general.

>> I think there is a chance that
>> DVB-T is available on the same coax as the outlet I currently use for DVB-S.
>> Is this a stupid thought?
>>
> Unfortunately yes. The DVB-S cable is likely connected to a satellite
> dish. The satellite dish will not receive DVB-T signals. So unless
> they have used some weird way of multiplexing DVB-T and DVB-S on the
> same cable, that ain't gonna work.
I had imagined some sort of weird multiplexing, yes. I have a friend who
recently had an antenna guy sort his stuff out for him, and both signals
arrive in the house on a single coax. There is a splitter inside, but I
don't know if it has any filtering in it.

I also recall my landlord saying a previous tenant used to get analog TV
here, via the same old coax. I doubt their capacity to understand though.

>> If not, what are the chances of buying or bodging up a working Belling-Lee
>> to F connector? Also, though there is a (slim) chance that the top of my
>> building has line of sight to some transmitter or another, how badly do
>> reflections affect DVB-T?
>>
> Very much a case by case thing. Freeviewnz.tv has a system where you
> put in your address and it tells you where your signal should come
> from. At least then with google maps or something you might get an
> idea of which direction to look in! If it is Auckaland I believe they
> transmit from SkyTower - do you have a line of sight to it? If you can
> see it out your window, you should try an indoor antenna.
I can not see the SkyTower, but the top of my building may. If you see
what I mean.

I see DSE sells an adaptor/flylead for an outrageous price. Maybe I
should simply fork out $20 and suck it and see.

Re: DVB-T in the city [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 16 May 2014 11:50:05 +1200, you wrote:

>I see DSE sells an adaptor/flylead for an outrageous price. Maybe I
>should simply fork out $20 and suck it and see.

Try Jaycar if you have them in Auckland, or any TV aerial installer or
service company. Or buy them online.

Re: DVB-T in the city [ In reply to ]
On 16/05/14 10:46, Aaron Pelly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I live in an apartment building in the city. I think there is a chance
> that DVB-T is available on the same coax as the outlet I currently use
> for DVB-S. Is this a stupid thought?
This is certainly possible.

A diplexer, such as
http://www.supremeantennas.co.nz/view/baluns-diplexers-combiners/diplexers/diplexer-tv-to-sat40-860-950-2300mhz.php
(first one that came up in search) is used. One at the antenna end to
combine the uhf / terrestrial signal below ~860MHz and the satellite
above ~950MHz onto the same coax cable, then another diplexer at the
receiver end to split them again.

Whether your apartment building is setup like this is unknown, but it
can be done.

Simon

Re: DVB-T in the city [ In reply to ]
On 17/05/14 17:45, Simon Paterson wrote:
> On 16/05/14 10:46, Aaron Pelly wrote:
>> I live in an apartment building in the city. I think there is a
>> chance that DVB-T is available on the same coax as the outlet I
>> currently use for DVB-S. Is this a stupid thought?
> This is certainly possible.
>
> A diplexer, such as
> http://www.supremeantennas.co.nz/view/baluns-diplexers-combiners/diplexers/diplexer-tv-to-sat40-860-950-2300mhz.php
> (first one that came up in search) is used. One at the antenna end to
> combine the uhf / terrestrial signal below ~860MHz and the satellite
> above ~950MHz onto the same coax cable, then another diplexer at the
> receiver end to split them again.
>
> Whether your apartment building is setup like this is unknown, but it
> can be done.

If you're in Christchurch/Canterbury I can recommend an excellent aerial
installer.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: DVB-T in the city [ In reply to ]
Hi,

It's definitely possible. I used to live in an apartment that hand
only one coax, I used a splitter to feed a DVB-S and DVB-T cards from
it. Worked very well.

kind regards
Pshem