Granny Weatherwax
worik.stanton@gmail.com 021-1680650, (03) 4821804
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Re: Specifying standard definition in a recording rule [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 8:56 PM, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton@gmail.com> wrote:
> I cannot see how to specify that, given the choice, Myth should choose
> to use standard definition.
>
> Anybody know?

Mythtv records what your TV broadcaster sends.

Re: Specifying standard definition in a recording rule [ In reply to ]
On 12/03/14 20:59, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 8:56 PM, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I cannot see how to specify that, given the choice, Myth should choose
>> to use standard definition.
>>
>> Anybody know?
>
> Mythtv records what your TV broadcaster sends.

But often the same programme is broadcast twice once in HD and once in SD.

Worik

The only true evil is turning people into things....
Re: Specifying standard definition in a recording rule [ In reply to ]
On 12/03/14 21:19, Worik Stanton wrote:
> But often the same programme is broadcast twice once in HD and once in SD.

Record it off the 1 channel?

hads
--
http://nice.net.nz

Re: Specifying standard definition in a recording rule [ In reply to ]
On 12/03/14 21:25, Hadley Rich wrote:
> On 12/03/14 21:19, Worik Stanton wrote:
>> But often the same programme is broadcast twice once in HD and once in
>> SD.
>
> Record it off the 1 channel?
>
> hads

Yes I could specify the channel, I could check each time I make a rule....

But it would be more convenient to be able to specify lower quality
preferred. Globally would be really choice.

Using the "Low Quality" recording profile does not do it

If I cannot do this I will not cry...

Worik

Re: Specifying standard definition in a recording rule [ In reply to ]
Well you can do it as a custom rule... this is the first time I have heard
of wanting to prefer SD though ;)

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Custom_Recording#Preferring_HD_programs_to_record

So tweaking the sql a bit

program.title LIKE '%Soccer%'
AND
(
program.hdtv = 0
OR program.programid NOT IN
(
SELECT program2.programid
FROM program program2
WHERE program2.hdtv = 0
)
)

Another option is give the SD channels a +1 rating so the are prefered

On 12 March 2014 21:35, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/03/14 21:25, Hadley Rich wrote:
> > On 12/03/14 21:19, Worik Stanton wrote:
> >> But often the same programme is broadcast twice once in HD and once in
> >> SD.
> >
> > Record it off the 1 channel?
> >
> > hads
>
> Yes I could specify the channel, I could check each time I make a rule....
>
> But it would be more convenient to be able to specify lower quality
> preferred. Globally would be really choice.
>
> Using the "Low Quality" recording profile does not do it
>
> If I cannot do this I will not cry...
>
> Worik
>
> --
> The only true evil is turning people into things....
> Granny Weatherwax
> worik.stanton@gmail.com 021-1680650, (03) 4821804
> Aotearoa (New Zealand)

"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calvin
Re: Specifying standard definition in a recording rule [ In reply to ]
On 13/03/14 09:38, Jason Taylor wrote:
> Well you can do it as a custom rule... this is the first time I have heard
> of wanting to prefer SD though ;)

It is because SD is much lighter on resources. I cannot tell the
difference (on my flash TV) between SD and HD.

> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Custom_Recording#Preferring_HD_programs_to_record
>
> So tweaking the sql a bit

Yay! That is *exactly* what I was looking for! This will be getting me
nicely started.

Thanks for your help Jason

Re: Specifying standard definition in a recording rule [ In reply to ]
So are you trying to prefer the satellite channels (which are all SD)
over DVB-T (which are a mixture) or are you trying to use, say, TV1
Plus 1 in preference to TV1?

Re: Specifying standard definition in a recording rule [ In reply to ]
If you don't like the HD versions, eg TV1 vs TV1+1, why not just
remove the HD version from your channel lineup?

Re: Specifying standard definition in a recording rule [ In reply to ]
On 13/03/14 18:02, Nick Rout wrote:
> If you don't like the HD versions, eg TV1 vs TV1+1, why not just
> remove the HD version from your channel lineup?

TV1, for example, does not only play HD programmes.

Worik
Re: Specifying standard definition in a recording rule [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 7:47 PM, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 13/03/14 18:02, Nick Rout wrote:
> > If you don't like the HD versions, eg TV1 vs TV1+1, why not just
> > remove the HD version from your channel lineup?
>
> TV1, for example, does not only play HD programmes.

I think Nick's saying the "+1" versions don't play HD at all. So you could
hide the regular TV1 and just keep the TV1+1 channel. Then everything you
record from One will be SD.

Cheers,
Steve