Mailing List Archive

Cannot see videos from frontend
I have a frontend/backend setup with a frontend on the backend also.

I have a USB drive attached to the backend that holds videos.

I can see the videos using the front end on the backend but not from the
remote frontend.

It reports no "There are no videos in the database, would you like to
scan your cideo directories now?" And then it quickly reports "The
video scan found no files, have you configured a video storage group?"

There is nothing in the backend log and in the front end it says:

Jan 10 18:05:51 bruce mythfrontend[1408]: I VideoScanner
videoscan.cpp:163 (run) Beginning Video Scan.
Jan 10 18:05:51 bruce mythfrontend[1408]: I VideoScanner
videoscan.cpp:391 (buildFileList) buildFileList directory =
myth://Videos@noam/media/Videos/
Jan 10 18:05:51 bruce mythfrontend[1408]: I VideoScanner dirscan.cpp:259
(ScanVideoDirectory) MythVideo::ScanVideoDirectory Scanning Group
(myth://Videos@noam/media/Videos/)

That seems OK to me.

I can watch and record live TV, make and watch scheduled recordings. I
have listings almost working etcetera. But this has me stumped. Where
to from here?

cheers
Worik

--
The only true evil is turning people into things....
Granny Weatherwax
Re: Cannot see videos from frontend [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 18:09:46 +1300, you wrote:

>I have a frontend/backend setup with a frontend on the backend also.
>
>I have a USB drive attached to the backend that holds videos.
>
>I can see the videos using the front end on the backend but not from the
>remote frontend.
>
>It reports no "There are no videos in the database, would you like to
>scan your cideo directories now?" And then it quickly reports "The
>video scan found no files, have you configured a video storage group?"
>
>There is nothing in the backend log and in the front end it says:
>
>Jan 10 18:05:51 bruce mythfrontend[1408]: I VideoScanner
>videoscan.cpp:163 (run) Beginning Video Scan.
>Jan 10 18:05:51 bruce mythfrontend[1408]: I VideoScanner
>videoscan.cpp:391 (buildFileList) buildFileList directory =
>myth://Videos@noam/media/Videos/
>Jan 10 18:05:51 bruce mythfrontend[1408]: I VideoScanner dirscan.cpp:259
>(ScanVideoDirectory) MythVideo::ScanVideoDirectory Scanning Group
>(myth://Videos@noam/media/Videos/)
>

>That seems OK to me.
>
>I can watch and record live TV, make and watch scheduled recordings. I
>have listings almost working etcetera. But this has me stumped. Where
>to from here?
>
>cheers
>Worik

There are two ways to set up videos - either using directories
directly accessed by the frontend, or using storage groups. With the
former, the directories need to be mapped by CIFS or NFS onto each
frontend. That sounds like your problem - the remote frontend can not
see the directories. If you choose to use storage groups, the backend
provides the files to all frontends, but there are some limitations,
such as not being able to use an alternate player program (which I
find is necessary for quite a few wmv files).

Re: Cannot see videos from frontend [ In reply to ]
> If you choose to use storage groups, the backend provides the files
> to all frontends, but there are some limitations, such as not being
> able to use an alternate player program (which I find is necessary
> for quite a few wmv files).

That sounds like my solution. where do I start setting up a storage
group? the only place in mythtv-setup I see is in 7 storage
Directories. That is where I set the directory.

Searching for information on groups lead me to...
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythVideo

So I have ensured that there is no vidoe directory set on the front end.

cheers
Worik

Re: Cannot see videos from frontend [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/01/14 04:58, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> If you choose to use storage groups, the backend provides the files
>> to all frontends, but there are some limitations, such as not being
>> able to use an alternate player program (which I find is necessary
>> for quite a few wmv files).
>
> That sounds like my solution. where do I start setting up a storage
> group? the only place in mythtv-setup I see is in 7 storage
> Directories. That is where I set the directory.
>
> Searching for information on groups lead me to...
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythVideo
>
> So I have ensured that there is no vidoe directory set on the front end.
>
> cheers
> Worik

If you have properly set up a videos storage group on the backend, I
don't think there is anything else you have to do.

Re: Cannot see videos from frontend [ In reply to ]
On 12/01/14 22:12, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Worik Stanton
> <worik.stanton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 12/01/14 04:58, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>>> If you choose to use storage groups, the backend provides the
>>> files to all frontends, but there are some limitations, such as
>>> not being able to use an alternate player program (which I find
>>> is necessary for quite a few wmv files).
>>
>> That sounds like my solution. where do I start setting up a
>> storage group? the only place in mythtv-setup I see is in 7
>> storage Directories. That is where I set the directory.

[snip]

> If you have properly set up a videos storage group on the backend, I
> don't think there is anything else you have to do.

But the problem continues.

I have put the directory entry as the sole entry in (7) Directories in
mythtvsetup. What else do I have to do to set up a "videos storage group"?

Worik

Re: Cannot see videos from frontend SOLVED [ In reply to ]
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 18:09:46 +1300, you wrote:
>
>> I have a frontend/backend setup with a frontend on the backend also.
>>
>> I have a USB drive attached to the backend that holds videos.
>>
>> I can see the videos using the front end on the backend but not from the
>> remote frontend.
>>
>> It reports no "There are no videos in the database, would you like to
>> scan your cideo directories now?" And then it quickly reports "The
>> video scan found no files, have you configured a video storage group?"
[snip]

I have it working now. The problem was that the disc was auto mounted.
When I mounted it using "mount /dev/sdb1 /media/USB" I can see it from
the front end (that is I can play the videos on the front end).

I was wondering if the problem is due to permissions (probably) and for
an auto mounted disc I found I could not change the permissions. So
unmounting (from the auto mount) and remounting via the command line and
bingo, it is working.

cheers
Worik

Re: Cannot see videos from frontend [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/01/14 22:12, Nick Rout wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Worik Stanton
>> <worik.stanton@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> That sounds like my solution. where do I start setting up a
>>> storage group? the only place in mythtv-setup I see is in 7
>>> storage Directories. That is where I set the directory.
>
> [snip]
>>>

>> If you have properly set up a videos storage group on the backend, I
>> don't think there is anything else you have to do.
>>

> But the problem continues.
>
> I have put the directory entry as the sole entry in (7) Directories in
> mythtvsetup. What else do I have to do to set up a "videos storage group"?

Why? Surely you don't want videos mixed up with recordings and backups
of the database and so on.

Re: Cannot see videos from frontend [ In reply to ]
On 13/01/14 18:11, Nick Rout wrote:
>> > But the problem continues.
>> >
>> > I have put the directory entry as the sole entry in (7) Directories in
>> > mythtvsetup. What else do I have to do to set up a "videos storage group"?
>> >
> Why? Surely you don't want videos mixed up with recordings and backups
> of the database and so on.

I mean the sole entry under "Videos". Assuming that is how I set up
groups.

Worik

Re: Cannot see videos from frontend [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 8:17 AM, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Why? Surely you don't want videos mixed up with recordings and backups
>> of the database and so on.
>>

> I mean the sole entry under "Videos". Assuming that is how I set up
> groups.

What do you mean by (7) Directores then?

Re: Cannot see videos from frontend [ In reply to ]
On 14/01/14 14:41, Nick Rout wrote:
>>> Why? Surely you don't want videos mixed up with recordings and backups
>>> >>

>> > I mean the sole entry under "Videos". Assuming that is how I set up
>> > groups.
> What do you mean by (7) Directores then?

In mythtv-setup. Menu item 7 from the start is setting directories.

Re: Cannot see videos from frontend [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 3:58 PM, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton@gmail.com> wrote:

>> What do you mean by (7) Directores then?
>>

> In mythtv-setup. Menu item 7 from the start is setting directories.

Oh OK i thought you meant you'd set it in 7 different places. D'oh me.

So is it all working now?