you're using DVB-S:

1) Which transceiver (12483/12671)
2) Which Mythtv (0.19, 0.20 etc)
3) How stable or how often it crashes while recording DVB-S
4) Any extra info (perhaps you have created a huge swap partition etc)

I would wait until D1 comes up but I'm not sure it will actually fix anything,
and I'm getting really tired of relying on 1 analogue tuner.

Nick

Re: Straw poll - DVB-S and stability [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 15:10 +1300, Nick & Ann Read wrote:

> 1) Which transceiver (12483/12671)

12.483

> 2) Which Mythtv (0.19, 0.20 etc)

Was 0.17, now 0.20. No problems with either.

> 3) How stable or how often it crashes while recording DVB-S

Stable. Doesn't crash while recording DVB-S. I have front-end crashes
more often than backend ones.

> 4) Any extra info (perhaps you have created a huge swap partition etc)

It's a Debian Sarge box running a custom kernel, built 0.20 from source.
Card is a TechnoTrend S-1500 with CAM slot. But I have had no problems
on 0.17 with the SkyStar2.

--
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Systems Architect
Re: Straw poll - DVB-S and stability [ In reply to ]
>Hi all
>
>Interested in everyone's current experience on DVB-S and stability. I turned
>mine off when the first round of instability was noted (was using 12671) and
>then tried again briefly about 3-4 weeks ago (using 12483) but stopped as I
>still has memory usage shooting through the roof. What I want to know is, if
>you're using DVB-S:
>
>1) Which transceiver (12483/12671)

12671

>2) Which Mythtv (0.19, 0.20 etc)

MythTV 0.20-fixes (0.20.20060828-3)

>3) How stable or how often it crashes while recording DVB-S

No crashes since the first round of instability.
Been running fine since mid-september.

>4) Any extra info (perhaps you have created a huge swap partition etc)

2GB RAM, 2GB Swap (which hasn't been touched since last reboot ‰ 7days)

Running FC5 following Jarod's guide, and using ATrpms.

- Wade

Re: Straw poll - DVB-S and stability [ In reply to ]
At 03:10 p.m. 30/10/2006, you wrote:
>still has memory usage shooting through the roof. What I want to know is, if
>you're using DVB-S:
>
>1) Which transceiver (12483/12671)

12483, I think. For Maori and Test1-4, at least. The rest (and the guide)
are 671.

>2) Which Mythtv (0.19, 0.20 etc)

.19-fixes, and as soon as KM comes out with .20 I'll consider upgrading.

Speaking of KnoppMyth, a couple of visiting little girls had a blast
playing Tux Racer. "I wanna play the penguin game..."

>3) How stable or how often it crashes while recording DVB-S

It only crashes when B1 is going through a bad period, otherwise it is
solid as a rock. When B1 is bad, I keep priorities the same and just set a
cron job to start the backend every three minutes. Our antenna quality is
baaaad...

>4) Any extra info (perhaps you have created a huge swap partition etc)

It records to a LVM volume, don't think that affects it.

>I would wait until D1 comes up but I'm not sure it will actually fix anything,
>and I'm getting really tired of relying on 1 analogue tuner.

B1 is running on it's back up processors, IIRC, so D1 will be better.

Speaking of which, any word on D1 status so far?

--
Alan Podjursky ICQ 24423014
"Yay, evil evil! Happy torture!" -- Gwyneth

Re: Straw poll - DVB-S and stability [ In reply to ]
AlanP wrote:

> B1 is running on it's back up processors, IIRC, so D1 will be better.
>
> Speaking of which, any word on D1 status so far?

It's not the backup processor that is the problem, it's B1 wandering all
over the sky as they try and save enough fuel to keep it at least semi
operational until D1 gets into service.

D1 is currently doing initial testing, nothing you can see on it your tv
but there are some carriers there. It's currently sitting at 164E.

They have been having problems with transmissions from D1 causing
problems for SelectTV on Pas8 (166E), so it's either putting out one
hell of a signal or just happens to have a decent side lobe on that side.

:D