sales - sales@openmedia.co.nz
support - support@openmedia.co.nz
website - http://www.openmedia.co.nz

Re: Gaps in EPG data for Saturday night for clock change [ In reply to ]
>Anyone else noticed a gap in the DVB-S EIT data for Sat Night / Sun
>Morning around the times of the clock change.
>
>Only for the Terrestrial channels though which is even more odd.
>
>Steve

I'm using the old tv_grab_dvb -> mythfilldatabase process and I've
got the same gaps. Been like that for the last 3 or so days.

Didn't worry me too much as I don't normally have anything recording
about that time (if it missed Sunday afternoon, that's another
story... )

- Wade

Re: Gaps in EPG data for Saturday night for clock change [ In reply to ]
On Friday 29 September 2006 21:29, Steven Ellis wrote:
> Anyone else noticed a gap in the DVB-S EIT data for Sat Night / Sun
> Morning around the times of the clock change.
>
> Only for the Terrestrial channels though which is even more odd.
>
> Steve
mmmm where did it go...?

I've EIT over the lost hour of sleep but my feed off hairy.geek.nz loses any
program that would have shown over that hour.
--
Regards
Tim, Donna & Erin Gibson

Re: Gaps in EPG data for Saturday night for clock change [ In reply to ]
Steven Ellis wrote:
> Anyone else noticed a gap in the DVB-S EIT data for Sat Night / Sun
> Morning around the times of the clock change.

My PVR (a Topfield one) with the EPG guide on 12483 for TVOne just has
BBC World starting at 12:35 like normal through to Rough Science at a
time of 5:30 (which is 1 hour out, should be 6:30 in GMT+1300, although
in the current time zone it is correct, I think). On TV2 it has XSTV
going from 12:45 to 1:20 then Invisible Circus going from 1:20 to 4:10
(both of which are correct), then the programs after that are an hour
out, sort of.

12671 is the same except has Tiki Tiki before Rough Science.

The last time the time changed I seem to remember having lots of fun
getting it to record the right program at the right time. IIRC TVNZ's
feeds where out for a few days whereas Sky's TV1 and TV2 were right on
Sunday afternoon (probably before that to), or something like that.

Re: Gaps in EPG data for Saturday night for clock change [ In reply to ]
Would anybody be interesting in paying a small monthly fee for a
quality, reliable XMLTV EPG? I have heard licensing may be expensive
(Personally, I don't believe a program guide can be copyrighted, but
if TV3/TVNZ do, I'd rather not end up in court), but if I could find
enough subscribers I may be able to offset that.

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ / No HTML/RTF in email

Re: Gaps in EPG data for Saturday night for clock change [ In reply to ]
On 10/1/06, James Gray <james6.0@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would anybody be interesting in paying a small monthly fee for a
> quality, reliable XMLTV EPG? I have heard licensing may be expensive
> (Personally, I don't believe a program guide can be copyrighted, but
> if TV3/TVNZ do, I'd rather not end up in court), but if I could find
> enough subscribers I may be able to offset that.

I don't object to paying a small amount for listings data, up to say
$30 per month. But it would have to provide a significant benefit over
getting the data for free from Sky's satelite feed via my DVB-S card.
Something like accurate indentification of series and episodes. I
don't know if that is feasible for a third party to produce.

If Sky restricted their feed (by encrypting it) I'd be more interested.

As for price, TV3 alone ask $2000 per month to republish their
listings (http://tv3.co.nz/FAQs/tabid/62/articleID/71/Default.aspx).
You're going to need a lot of subscribers to offset that.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: Gaps in EPG data for Saturday night for clock change [ In reply to ]
James Gray wrote:
> Would anybody be interesting in paying a small monthly fee for a
> quality, reliable XMLTV EPG? I have heard licensing may be expensive
> (Personally, I don't believe a program guide can be copyrighted, but
> if TV3/TVNZ do, I'd rather not end up in court), but if I could find
> enough subscribers I may be able to offset that.

I've had these conversations, and the numbers are in the thousands of
dollars per channel. Plus Sky won't provide their data to anyone,
especially for use in a PVR environment.

I'd love to set something up, but the ideal price is in the TV Guide
sort of range - under NZ$2 a week per customer. Based on the charges we
could easily be looking at considerably more to offer this sort of service.

Once FreeView goes live it should all be moot anyway as they will have
EIT data.

Steve

--
Steven Ellis - Technical Director