I am looking at upgrading the case/cpu/motherboardto something that
is more home theatre/low-noise friendly.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice, quiet HTPC case/
motherboard/CPU combination?
I am not interested in fancy knobs or displays on the the front of
the system, preferably is would be a nice, clean silver/black box.

Regards,

David

Re: Quiet HTPC case/cpu/motherboard recommendations [ In reply to ]
>Currently I am running MythTV on a AMD XP Shuttle with a PVR350.
>It runs great but its a little noisy and doesn't
>'sit' well in a lounge environment.
>
>I am looking at upgrading the
>case/cpu/motherboardto something that is more
>home theatre/low-noise friendly.
>
>Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice,
>quiet HTPC case/motherboard/CPU combination?
>I am not interested in fancy knobs or displays
>on the the front of the system, preferably is
>would be a nice, clean silver/black box.
>
>Regards,
>
>David

I'll put a vote in for an Antec NSK2400 (‰ NZ$310
)
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=92400
The case is pretty quiet, and comes with a power
supply. Only fits mATX boards so that'll limit
your number of drives and capture cards.

I've got one with a Athlon64 3200+, Gigabyte mATX
M/B, GeForce 7300 PCI-e card, a Zalman CNPS7000B
cooler, and a Seagate hard drive. It's quiet
enough for late night watching in the bedroom.

- Wade

Re: Quiet HTPC case/cpu/motherboard recommendations [ In reply to ]
> Currently I am running MythTV on a AMD XP Shuttle with a PVR350.
> It runs great but its a little noisy and doesn't 'sit' well in a
> lounge environment.
>
> I am looking at upgrading the case/cpu/motherboardto something that
> is more home theatre/low-noise friendly.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice, quiet HTPC case/
> motherboard/CPU combination?
> I am not interested in fancy knobs or displays on the the front of
> the system, preferably is would be a nice, clean silver/black box.

You could look at an OpenMedia myPVR if you want a low maintenance
solution :)

Steve

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email - steven@openmedia.co.nz
sales - sales@openmedia.co.nz
support - support@openmedia.co.nz
website - http://www.openmedia.co.nz
phone - +64 21 321673

Re: Quiet HTPC case/cpu/motherboard recommendations [ In reply to ]
>>Currently I am running MythTV on a AMD XP Shuttle with a PVR350.
>>It runs great but its a little noisy and doesn't
>>'sit' well in a lounge environment.
>>
>>I am looking at upgrading the
>>case/cpu/motherboardto something that is more
>>home theatre/low-noise friendly.
>>
>>Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice,
>>quiet HTPC case/motherboard/CPU combination?
>>I am not interested in fancy knobs or displays
>>on the the front of the system, preferably is
>>would be a nice, clean silver/black box.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>David
>>

> I'll put a vote in for an Antec NSK2400 (‰ NZ$310
> )
> http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=92400
> The case is pretty quiet, and comes with a power
> supply. Only fits mATX boards so that'll limit
> your number of drives and capture cards.

Interesting case. Who in NZ carries it?

Steve

Re: Quiet HTPC case/cpu/motherboard recommendations [ In reply to ]
On 4/09/2006, at 4:37 PM, Steven Ellis wrote:

>>> Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice,
>>> quiet HTPC case/motherboard/CPU combination?
>>> I am not interested in fancy knobs or displays
>>> on the the front of the system, preferably is
>>> would be a nice, clean silver/black box.
>>
>> I'll put a vote in for an Antec NSK2400
>
> Interesting case. Who in NZ carries it?

That looks like a nice case but I can only find the Antec Fusion
available for sale in NZ:
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15738

Looks like the same case with a few HTPC bells and whistles that I
don't really want.
My guess is the NSK2400 is a bit cheaper than the Fusion.

Is anyone able to point me to an NSK2400 distributor round here or
will I have to fork out the extra for the Fusion?

Regards,

David

Re: Quiet HTPC case/cpu/motherboard recommendations [ In reply to ]
David Harrison wrote:

>>> I'll put a vote in for an Antec NSK2400
As an alternative , have a look at

http://www.yeongyang.com/yy-a211.htm

BDT carry it and its not very expensive

David H

Re: Quiet HTPC case/cpu/motherboard recommendations [ In reply to ]
>>>It runs great but its a little noisy and doesn't
>>>'sit' well in a lounge environment.
>>>
>>>I am looking at upgrading the
>>>case/cpu/motherboardto something that is more
>>>home theatre/low-noise friendly.
>>>
>>>Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice,
>>>quiet HTPC case/motherboard/CPU combination?
>>>I am not interested in fancy knobs or displays
>>>on the the front of the system, preferably is
>>>would be a nice, clean silver/black box.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>David
>>>

>> I'll put a vote in for an Antec NSK2400 (‰ NZ$310
>> )
>> http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=92400
>> The case is pretty quiet, and comes with a power
>> supply. Only fits mATX boards so that'll limit
>> your number of drives and capture cards.
>
>Interesting case. Who in NZ carries it?
>
>Steve

I got mine from GeeksDirect the NZ distributor.
Looking at your situation you should be able to
get an account with them. If you'd like to have
a look at one (seeing as your in Auckland - I'm
in Ellerslie), you can contact me off list.

- Wade

Re: Quiet HTPC case/cpu/motherboard recommendations [ In reply to ]

>>>I'll put a vote in for an Antec NSK2400
>>
>>Interesting case. Who in NZ carries it?
>
>That looks like a nice case but I can only find the Antec Fusion
>available for sale in NZ:
>http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15738
>
>Looks like the same case with a few HTPC bells and whistles that I
>don't really want.
>My guess is the NSK2400 is a bit cheaper than the Fusion.
>
>Is anyone able to point me to an NSK2400 distributor round here or
>will I have to fork out the extra for the Fusion?
>
>Regards,
>
>David

Where are you located? If you are in Auckland PCTronix or
ComputerLounge should be able to get them. In fact anyone who deals
with Antec power supplies or Cases (like the P180B - another one I'd
put in a vote for) should have access to the NSK2400.

- Wade

Re: Quiet HTPC case/cpu/motherboard recommendations [ In reply to ]
On Monday 04 September 2006 4:35 pm, Steven Ellis wrote:

> You could look at an OpenMedia myPVR if you want a low maintenance
> solution :)

Do you guys offer a hardware only price?

Rob