backend, currently only 40GB :-(

Cheers
Dave

Re: New Member [ In reply to ]
On Tue, August 21, 2007 10:22 am, Shannon Skinner wrote:
> Just a quick "kia ora": A new list member here from Hamilton and yes,
> yet another Ubuntu user :P

We will try to not hold it against you ;)

Steve

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email - steven@openmedia.co.nz
sales - sales@openmedia.co.nz
support - support@openmedia.co.nz
website - http://www.openmedia.co.nz

Re: New Member [ In reply to ]
I shall add myself to the 'Hello list' as I've just joined to :)

I'm using an amd 1.8 athalon on a epox R8+ board and a pixelview bt878 card
with MythTV :D
(Well attempting to... I think the pixelview may just need a good going over
with a
total component failure tool* and an new catpture card bought >.<

I shall be looking for a p250 hopefully, but not searched for one yet.

*total component failure tool aka Hammer :)

Re: New Member [ In reply to ]
On Tue, August 21, 2007 5:30 pm, rhidian stoddart wrote:
> I shall add myself to the 'Hello list' as I've just joined to :)
>
> I'm using an amd 1.8 athalon on a epox R8+ board and a pixelview bt878
> card
> with MythTV :D
> (Well attempting to... I think the pixelview may just need a good going
> over
> with a
> total component failure tool* and an new catpture card bought >.<
>
> I shall be looking for a p250 hopefully, but not searched for one yet.

I assume you mean a PVR250 card? I'd stick with a PVR150 these days. The
250 has been discontinued.

Re: New Member [ In reply to ]
rhidian stoddart wrote:
> I'm using an amd 1.8 athalon on a epox R8+ board and a pixelview bt878
> card with MythTV :D

Agree - such cards can be made to work, but a PVR150 is cheap enough and
fully supported in-kernel with 2.6.22

You can make good use of framebuffer boards for a security camera using
linux software like motion, although I'd not do it in the mythtv backend
just to keep the v4l systems simplified.

http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/MotionGuide

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/

Re: New member [ In reply to ]
On 02/03/17 16:13, Criggie wrote:
> Cool - welcome
Another comment I would make is that there are likely to be people near
you who would be happy to help.
With all of the necessary hardware available you could probably have a
working system in a couple of hours accompanied by some good coffee and
bikkies.

Re: New member [ In reply to ]
Thank you very much. I'm the sort of guy who would find the process easier
to get my head around if I could chat face-to-face with someone about the
requirements, and actually look at the hardware, so that I can understand
the physical appearance of the many "new" components that I have read about
today!
Can you suggest how I could find the appropriate person or people? Would
posting in the New Zealand section on the MythTV website be the best option?
Regards,
Peter

Re: New member [ In reply to ]
Robert Fisher wrote:
> Another comment I would make is that there are likely to be people near
> you who would be happy to help.
> With all of the necessary hardware available you could probably have a
> working system in a couple of hours accompanied by some good coffee and
> bikkies.

Peter - based on (magic) you're in Epsom, Auckland?

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: New member [ In reply to ]
On 02/03/17 16:35, Peter Charlesworth wrote:
> Can you suggest how I could find the appropriate person or people?
This mailing list is NZ based so if you tell us where you live someone
might pop up nearby.

Re: New member [ In reply to ]
On 02/03/17 16:13, Criggie wrote:
> Cool - welcome
>
> What hardware do you have available for this project?
>
> You'll want a minimum of
> * A TV with HDMI input (vga works in a pinch but is not as pretty)
> * A quietish PC with HDMI output that you can leave running 24/7
> * Somewhere to leave it running out of the way, that won't get hot or
> bumped. Behind the TV is ideal.
> * A broadband internet connection
> * Some kind of receiver and aerial.....:
>
> My understanding is a HD Homerun receiver and a UHF aerial are great if
> you're in urban area with good signal (ie, dvb-t or terrestrial coverage)
>
> Otherwise you need a satellite dish and a couple of dvb-s tuner cards.
>
> And whatever cabling is needed to tie it all together.
>

> Peter Charlesworth wrote:
>> I've joined the mailing list today, mainly as a response to the news that
>> TiVo will be defunct in NZ after October 2017. I'm devastated about this,
>> since we have three TiVo units, and can't speak highly enough of how good
>> they have been in practical functionality, as well as an alternative to
>> the offerings of Sky TV, to which I have a philosophical aversion.
>>
>> I'm a technically capable person and I understand electrons, but I have
>> minimal practical experience at "circuit-board level", so the initial
>> onslaught of unfamiliar terms and concepts I have encountered in reading
>> the
>> MythTV pages today have been somewhat mind boggling. However, I'm hoping
>> that with the guidance of New Zealand experts in the MythTV field, and the
>> general information in the extensive resources of the main website, I may
>> in time be able to learn enough to assemble a good MythTV set-up of my
>> own.
>> It certainly seems to be the best prospect that I can find to replace the
>> features of TiVo, and probably exceed them.
>>

>> I look forward to hearing from you all,
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peter

One thing you may have to get used to is the EPG pulled from the
freeview web site sometimes has problems. Rare but they do occur.
Personally I didn't want to live with an internet EPG so I developed
mhegepgsnoop to pull the EPG directly from the DVB-T (terrestrial)
broadcast data. Unfortunately this won't work for satellite (DVB-S)
broadcast nor will it work with an HDHomeRun.

Getting the right hardware is the hard part. Lots of info at places like
linuxtv.org to help with this. And of course asking questions on this
and the main MythTV list. Actually installing MythTV is a breeze if you
stick with the defaults.

BTW I didn't run my system (currently broken - HDD failure) 24/7. It is
quite simple to set up MythTV so that it shuts down overnight but wakes
up the PC when it needs to record.

Cheers
David

Re: New member [ In reply to ]
On 02/03/17 17:00, David Moore wrote:
> One thing you may have to get used to is the EPG pulled from the
> freeview web site sometimes has problems. Rare but they do occur.
> Personally I didn't want to live with an internet EPG so I developed
> mhegepgsnoop to pull the EPG directly from the DVB-T (terrestrial)
> broadcast data.

It's all the same source so it's all going to have the same problems.

Re: New member [ In reply to ]
Sorry guys this will probably  top post  I am sending from a tablet.I have been pulling the EPG directly  from the stream using my old nova t card .I am running mythbuntu 6.04 an myth 0.28 and it is all playing fine still have problems with the build and myth Web. This is a good option as everything  is built into myth for this to happen

CHEERS STU

Re: New member [ In reply to ]
On 2 Mar 2017 8:10 pm, Hadley Rich <hads@nice.net.nz> wrote:

On 02/03/17 17:00, David Moore wrote:
> One thing you may have to get used to is the EPG pulled from the
> freeview web site sometimes has problems. Rare but they do occur.
> Personally I didn't want to live with an internet EPG so I developed
> mhegepgsnoop to pull the EPG directly from the DVB-T (terrestrial)
> broadcast data.

It's all the same source so it's all going to have the same problems.

_______________________________
With respect not so. Many times list members complained about issues which never affected me.

Re: New member [ In reply to ]
On 02/03/17 21:22, David Moore wrote:
> With respect not so. Many times list members complained about issues
> which never affected me.

It sounded like you were touting that the because you get it straight
from the MHEG source you get better quality data. I was merely pointing
out that it's all from the same source so the quality is all the same.

I'm guessing you're referring the data on epg.org.nz getting down to a
few days left occasionally instead of seven? Not really that big of a
problem.

Re: New member [ In reply to ]
On 2 Mar 2017 9:30 pm, Hadley Rich <hads@nice.net.nz> wrote:

On 02/03/17 21:22, David Moore wrote:
> With respect not so. Many times list members complained about issues
> which never affected me.

It sounded like you were touting that the because you get it straight
from the MHEG source you get better quality data. I was merely pointing
out that it's all from the same source so the quality is all the same.

I'm guessing you're referring the data on epg.org.nz getting down to a
few days left occasionally instead of seven? Not really that big of a
problem.
Yes, that is what I meant. Agree that MHEG EPG is not as good as epg.org.nz.
Re: New member [ In reply to ]
On 2017-03-02 17:00, David Moore wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>

> One thing you may have to get used to is the EPG pulled from the
> freeview web site sometimes has problems. Rare but they do occur.
> Personally I didn't want to live with an internet EPG so I developed
> mhegepgsnoop to pull the EPG directly from the DVB-T (terrestrial)
> broadcast data. Unfortunately this won't work for satellite (DVB-S)
> broadcast nor will it work with an HDHomeRun.
>
> Getting the right hardware is the hard part. Lots of info at places
> like linuxtv.org to help with this. And of course asking questions on
> this and the main MythTV list. Actually installing MythTV is a breeze
> if you stick with the defaults.
>
> BTW I didn't run my system (currently broken - HDD failure) 24/7. It
> is quite simple to set up MythTV so that it shuts down overnight but
> wakes up the PC when it needs to record.

Actually you can use mhegepgsnoop (indirectly and with a few fixes) with
an HDHomeRun.

I have a bash script that uses hdhomerun_config to capture the stream to
a file and then feeds it to mhegepgsnoop using the dvbsnoop option.

A few minor fixes are needed to mhegepgsnoop in order to parse the
dvbsnoop output correctly.

I have been using this reliably for a while now on my live system with
no problems.

Happy to provide the script and updated mhegepgsnoop if anyone wants it.

Re: New member [ In reply to ]
On 02/03/17 22:15, Brady, Mike wrote:
> Happy to provide the script and updated mhegepgsnoop if anyone wants it.

Nice work. I've been thinking about doing that for a while but I've not
got around to it, I'd be interested to see what you've done.

Re: New member [ In reply to ]
> Actually you can use mhegepgsnoop (indirectly and with a few fixes) with
> an HDHomeRun.
>
> I have a bash script that uses hdhomerun_config to capture the stream to
> a file and then feeds it to mhegepgsnoop using the dvbsnoop option.
>
> A few minor fixes are needed to mhegepgsnoop in order to parse the
> dvbsnoop output correctly.
>
> I have been using this reliably for a while now on my live system with
> no problems.
>
> Happy to provide the script and updated mhegepgsnoop if anyone wants it.

me me me me

Always looking at ways to supplement my mhegepgsnoop scripts!

--
Robin Gilks

Re: New member [ In reply to ]
I'd certainly be interested in that script etc. I'm currently reliant on
epg.org.nz and it would be nice to have a backup source.

Rory

Re: New member [ In reply to ]
On 2017-03-03 07:14, Rory Grant wrote:

> I'd certainly be interested in that script etc. I'm currently reliant on epg.org.nz [1] and it would be nice to have a backup source.
>
> Rory

I don't know if the list accepts attachments, so sending direct.

Links:
------
[1] http://epg.org.nz
Re: New member [ In reply to ]
On 2017-03-03 07:26, Brady, Mike wrote:

> On 2017-03-03 07:14, Rory Grant wrote:
>
>> I'd certainly be interested in that script etc. I'm currently reliant on epg.org.nz [1] and it would be nice to have a backup source.
>>
>> Rory
>
> I don't know if the list accepts attachments, so sending direct.

Haven't had my coffee yet this morning. Meant to send direct, but at
least I know the list accept attachments.

Links:
------
[1] http://epg.org.nz
Re: New member [ In reply to ]
On 03/03/17 07:26, Brady, Mike wrote:
> I don't know if the list accepts attachments, so sending direct.

Nice work Mike, looks a comprehensive script.

Re: New member [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 7:32 AM, Brady, Mike <mike.brady@devnull.net.nz>
wrote:

> On 2017-03-03 07:26, Brady, Mike wrote:
>
> On 2017-03-03 07:14, Rory Grant wrote:
>
> I'd certainly be interested in that script etc. I'm currently reliant on
> epg.org.nz and it would be nice to have a backup source.
>
> Rory
>

> I don't know if the list accepts attachments, so sending direct.
>
> Haven't had my coffee yet this morning. Meant to send direct, but at
> least I know the list accept attachments.

It does, up to a certain size (which I cannot now recall).

would github be a good place for your script?

Re: New member [ In reply to ]

On 2017-03-02 17:00, David Moore wrote:
> [...]
> if you stick with the defaults.
>
> BTW I didn't run my system (currently broken - HDD failure) 24/7. It
> is quite simple to set up MythTV so that it shuts down overnight but
> wakes up the PC when it needs to record.
>
> Cheers
> David

Actually you can use mhegepgsnoop (indirectly and with a few fixes) with
an HDHomeRun.

I have a bash script that uses hdhomerun_config to capture the stream to
a file and then feeds it to mhegepgsnoop using the dvbsnoop option.

A few minor fixes are needed to mhegepgsnoop in order to parse the
dvbsnoop output correctly.

I have been using this reliably for a while now on my live system with
no problems.

Happy to provide the script and updated mhegepgsnoop if anyone wants it.
Cool. Let's get it merged into the code on sourceforge so anyone can easily download it.

Re: New member [ In reply to ]
On 2017-03-03 10:19, Nick Rout wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 7:32 AM, Brady, Mike <mike.brady@devnull.net.nz> wrote:
>
> On 2017-03-03 07:26, Brady, Mike wrote:
>
> On 2017-03-03 07:14, Rory Grant wrote:
> I'd certainly be interested in that script etc. I'm currently reliant on epg.org.nz [1] and it would be nice to have a backup source.
>
> Rory
>
> I don't know if the list accepts attachments, so sending direct.

Haven't had my coffee yet this morning. Meant to send direct, but at
least I know the list accept attachments.

It does, up to a certain size (which I cannot now recall).

would github be a good place for your script?

It would. Unfortunately I don't know how to use it. Its on my list.
One day when I have some time.

Links:
------
[1] http://epg.org.nz