watching because when I was first setting it up, and things started to
work, it would only crash when my Dad came along to see how it was going.
And, now that it's mostly working, it only crashes when Mum is watching it.

--
Alan Podjursky ICQ 24423014
"Yay, evil evil! Happy torture!" -- Gwyneth
"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson
http://www.fanfiction.net/~mercva

Re: Mythbackend crashing on KnoppMyth R5C7 [ In reply to ]
Funny, my backend started crashing about once a day on Friday last. I've
just checked the database and fixed a problem I had there:

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1043

Holding thumbs that this was the problem...

My observation is that it appeared to crash while recording something (so
watching live tv would qualify).

Nick

Re: Mythbackend crashing on KnoppMyth R5C7 [ In reply to ]
At 11:30 p.m. 3/09/2006, you wrote:
>Funny, my backend started crashing about once a day on Friday last. I've
>just checked the database and fixed a problem I had there:
>http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1043

Not to be a pain, but could you replicate the pertinent section? I don't
have a login, and don't want yet another password to keep track of.

RE: Mythbackend crashing on KnoppMyth R5C7 [ In reply to ]
>Funny, my backend started crashing about once a day on Friday last.
Wow, mine started out of the blue last Thursday night. Its been running
perfectly for months now it seems to be crashing on the DVB card.
I thought it was a db problem as I fixed all the tables but it did it again
last night.
Starting to lose serious waf points. Can't find anything incriminating in
any logs, mythbackend just seems to go to away.
Regards
Toby

RE: Mythbackend crashing on KnoppMyth R5C7 [ In reply to ]
At 08:05 a.m. 4/09/2006, you wrote:
>I thought it was a db problem as I fixed all the tables but it did it again
>last night.

Same here, just checked all my tables but they're fine. This is getting
frustrating.

>Starting to lose serious waf points. Can't find anything incriminating in
>any logs, mythbackend just seems to go to away.

Same here. But with 'family acceptance factor', not married :->

RE: Mythbackend crashing on KnoppMyth R5C7 [ In reply to ]
> Same here, just checked all my tables but they're fine. This is getting
frustrating.

Anyone have any ideas, last night I noticed just before it happened I
started getting glitches like you would expect during rain fade. Does anyone
know of any settings to make myth a little more forgiving of any glitches.

Toby

Re: Mythbackend crashing on KnoppMyth R5C7 [ In reply to ]
Quoting AlanP <alan.p@orcon.net.nz>:

> Not to be a pain, but could you replicate the pertinent section? I don't
> have a login, and don't want yet another password to keep track of.

I would, but if you're using Knoppmyth, you *really* want to check out that
forum... and you can get it to remember you so you don't really need to
remember another user/pass.

RE: Mythbackend crashing on KnoppMyth R5C7 [ In reply to ]
Quoting Toby Mills <toby@np.co.nz>:

>> Same here, just checked all my tables but they're fine. This is getting
> frustrating.
>
> Anyone have any ideas, last night I noticed just before it happened I
> started getting glitches like you would expect during rain fade. Does anyone
> know of any settings to make myth a little more forgiving of any glitches.

Interesting. I've noticed those occasionally as well, but last Friday was the
first backend crash I've ever had, and its been everyday since then (don't
know about today yet). Optus B1 orbit-tracking is getting worse, and Optus D1
is due to replace it 'any day now' so maybe thats a factor.

Thinking about it, as far as I can remember while not in front of the box, it
is likely that it has been crashing during DVB-S recordings (I also have a 350
for TV3/Prime). I'm using mythtv 0.19-fixes from about January (KM R5B7) -
what is everyone else using?

Re: Mythbackend crashing on KnoppMyth R5C7 [ In reply to ]
Nick & Ann Read wrote:
> Quoting Toby Mills <toby@np.co.nz>:
>
>>> Same here, just checked all my tables but they're fine. This is getting
>> frustrating.
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas, last night I noticed just before it happened I
>> started getting glitches like you would expect during rain fade. Does
>> anyone
>> know of any settings to make myth a little more forgiving of any
>> glitches.
>>

> Interesting. I've noticed those occasionally as well, but last Friday
> was the
> first backend crash I've ever had, and its been everyday since then
> (don't
> know about today yet). Optus B1 orbit-tracking is getting worse, and
> Optus D1
> is due to replace it 'any day now' so maybe thats a factor.
>
> Thinking about it, as far as I can remember while not in front of the
> box, it
> is likely that it has been crashing during DVB-S recordings (I also
> have a 350
> for TV3/Prime). I'm using mythtv 0.19-fixes from about January (KM
> R5B7) -
> what is everyone else using?
When I had R5B7 on my PVR150 mythbox it was crashing the backend
frequently as well. Since my R5C7 install the machine works without a
hitch. I read on KM forums that people with B7 had backend crash
problems as well...

The way you see people is the way you treat them
and the way you treat them is what they become.

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

RE: Mythbackend crashing on KnoppMyth R5C7 [ In reply to ]
At 01:10 p.m. 4/09/2006, you wrote:
Interesting. I've noticed those occasionally as well, but last Friday was the
>first backend crash I've ever had, and its been everyday since then (don't
>know about today yet). Optus B1 orbit-tracking is getting worse, and Optus D1
>is due to replace it 'any day now' so maybe thats a factor.

D1 is launching on Sept19, isn't it? Anyone know when TVNZ/CanWest start
broadcasting on it?

And does the Myth DVB code for the upcoming .20 release handle DVB-S
trouble better at all? Because this doesn't seem terribly error-tolerant.
The annoying part is that the Skybox handles these errors better than my
Mythbox.

>Thinking about it, as far as I can remember while not in front of the box, it
>is likely that it has been crashing during DVB-S recordings (I also have a 350
>for TV3/Prime). I'm using mythtv 0.19-fixes from about January (KM R5B7) -
>what is everyone else using?

R5C7. And it is only crashing during DVB-S recordings -- I can tell by the
multiple entries for the one showing for a few episodes on TV1-2, and the
single entries for TV3 shows.

Also, just so people know -- R5C7 doesn't seem to run logrotate in cron at
all. I've got 50 and 70MB logs for sql and myth... yeesh. The next biggest
config file is the commercial marklist db table.

RE: Mythbackend crashing on KnoppMyth R5C7 [ In reply to ]
> R5C7. And it is only crashing during DVB-S recordings -- I can tell by the
> multiple entries for the one showing for a few episodes on TV1-2, and the
> single entries for TV3 shows.
>
> Also, just so people know -- R5C7 doesn't seem to run logrotate in cron at
> all. I've got 50 and 70MB logs for sql and myth... yeesh. The next biggest
> config file is the commercial marklist db table.

Try the following

"rm /etc/logrotate.d/hibernate-script"

This is a left over file that prevents logrotate from working correctly.

Steve

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email - steven@openmedia.co.nz
sales - sales@openmedia.co.nz
support - support@openmedia.co.nz
website - http://www.openmedia.co.nz
phone - +64 21 321673

Re: Mythbackend crashing on KnoppMyth R5C7 [ In reply to ]
On 9/4/06, Toby Mills <toby@np.co.nz> wrote:
> >Funny, my backend started crashing about once a day on Friday last.
> Wow, mine started out of the blue last Thursday night. Its been running
> perfectly for months now it seems to be crashing on the DVB card.
> I thought it was a db problem as I fixed all the tables but it did it again
> last night.

I'm seeing the same thing - a backend crash tonight on a DVB
recording. If anyone finds a solution to this please let us all know.

Steve

Re: Mythbackend crashing on KnoppMyth R5C7 [ In reply to ]
On 9/4/06, Steve Hodge <stevehodge@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/4/06, Toby Mills <toby@np.co.nz> wrote:
> > >Funny, my backend started crashing about once a day on Friday last.
> > Wow, mine started out of the blue last Thursday night. Its been running
> > perfectly for months now it seems to be crashing on the DVB card.
> > I thought it was a db problem as I fixed all the tables but it did it again
> > last night.
>
> I'm seeing the same thing - a backend crash tonight on a DVB
> recording. If anyone finds a solution to this please let us all know.

At least in my case what is happening is that mythbackend is using up
all the memory and getting killed by the kernel. You guys might want
to check your kernel logs to see if it's the same for you.

Steve

RE: Mythbackend crashing on KnoppMyth R5C7 [ In reply to ]
Guy's

I'd check the amount of memory you'r backend is using as I'v noticed mine being killed lately only watching or recording DVB-S channels, memory rises untill there's none left. Could be B3 as it's not as stationary as it used to be, time will tell on that.

TIM

__________

RE: Mythbackend crashing on KnoppMyth R5C7 [ In reply to ]
>I'm seeing the same thing - a backend crash tonight on a DVB recording. If
anyone finds a solution to this please let us all know.
My solution has been to disable the dvb card until I can figure this out.
Gone back to just a single pvr150 and not very happy about it.
It has to be something coming over the air.

Re: Mythbackend crashing on KnoppMyth R5C7 [ In reply to ]
>>> Wow, mine started out of the blue last Thursday night. Its been running
>>> perfectly for months now it seems to be crashing on the DVB card.
>>> I thought it was a db problem as I fixed all the tables but it did it again
>>> last night.
>>
>>I'm seeing the same thing - a backend crash tonight on a DVB
>>recording. If anyone finds a solution to this please let us all know.
>
>At least in my case what is happening is that mythbackend is using up
>all the memory and getting killed by the kernel. You guys might want
>to check your kernel logs to see if it's the same for you.
>
>Steve

That's strange. I've only just rebuilt my backend from scratch using
FC5 x84_64 and noticed the same thing last night with recording One
Sport via DVB. mythbackend used up 1.6GB of RAM, and another 2GB of
swap by the time the recording finished (3 hrs). It didn't quite get
killed by the kernel, but I did get a couple of messages about IO
corruption. I thought it might have been something to do with the
cpuspeed daemon (I hadn't turned it off at that stage).

I hadn't been paying this thread much attention since I don't use
KnoppMyth, but it looks like it may be related to DVB in general not
anything particular to KnoppMyth. Just wild speculation but maybe
it'ssomething to do with the DVB stream itself, since I haven't
noticed anything like this in the last couple of months?

- Wade

Re: Mythbackend crashing on KnoppMyth R5C7 [ In reply to ]
On 9/4/06, Wade Maxfield <mythtvnz@hotblack.co.nz> wrote:
> I hadn't been paying this thread much attention since I don't use
> KnoppMyth, but it looks like it may be related to DVB in general not
> anything particular to KnoppMyth.

Yes, I should have mentioned that I'm not using KnoppMyth either.

> Just wild speculation but maybe
> it'ssomething to do with the DVB stream itself, since I haven't
> noticed anything like this in the last couple of months?

I have had a previous problem with running out of memory, but I didn't
link it to DVB. I've seen the odd mention of issues on the main lists
too:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/217663
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/196135
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/202878

I'm not sure if these are really all the same problem.

Steve

RE: Mythbackend crashing on KnoppMyth R5C7 [ In reply to ]
>I'd check the amount of memory you'r backend is using as I'v noticed mine
being killed lately only >watching or recording DVB-S channels, memory rises
untill there's none left. Could be B3 as it's not as >stationary as it used
to be, time will tell on that.

Yes thats whats happening to me too. It has just crashed during a recording,
and is busy sitting here slowly eating up memory as I watch on 'top', after
a restart (still recording). Update - now its finished recording but hasn't
released the memory (70%). Better restart it again, as soon as I've taken
the DVB card out of the picture that is.

Re: Mythbackend crashing on KnoppMyth R5C7 [ In reply to ]
AlanP wrote:
> At 08:05 a.m. 4/09/2006, you wrote:
>> I thought it was a db problem as I fixed all the tables but it did it
>> again
>> last night.
>
> Same here, just checked all my tables but they're fine. This is
> getting frustrating.

I have had my back end crash once, last week. Actually, the whole
system froze up, with the hard drive spinning incessantly, for at least
a few hours before I noticed. It was annoying to learn how, but
figured out how to repair the MySQL tables that get trashed when the
system freezes. Why don't developers choose postgres? it's fault
tolerant. Anyhow... I'm glad I'm not the only one (unless my problem
is a different one)... the backend process shouldn't be able to crash
the system... so there is some bug in Linux or a driver that it's
conspiring with.
But I'm using gentoo... so my bug is probably different.

Mike

Re: Mythbackend crashing on KnoppMyth R5C7 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 13:38:00 +1200
phlux0r <phlux0r@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I had R5B7 on my PVR150 mythbox it was crashing the backend
> frequently as well. Since my R5C7 install the machine works without a
> hitch. I read on KM forums that people with B7 had backend crash
> problems as well...

I see there has been a new version of knoppmyth out for a week or two - R5D1. Anyone tried it?