Mailing List Archive

Serial InfraRed Receiver
Does anyone know if these are compatible with Linux/LIRC as a receiver for a remote control?

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/44dfb67401fe3e1c2740c0a87f99071a/Product/View/XH6457

The only other ones I can find are USB, and apparently are not compatible with LIRC at all.

Andrew Bruce

Re: Serial InfraRed Receiver [ In reply to ]
Quoting Andrew Bruce <abruce@hope-st.ath.cx>:

> Does anyone know if these are compatible with Linux/LIRC as a
> receiver for a remote control?
>
> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-
bin/dse.storefront/44dfb67401fe3e1c2740c0a87f99071a/Product/View/XH6457

> The only other ones I can find are USB, and apparently are not
> compatible with LIRC at all.

Probably not, and definately not 'easily', I think.

See http://www.lirc.org/irda.html

The LIRC site also has instructions for building your own serial LIRC
receiver.

Re: Serial InfraRed Receiver [ In reply to ]
> Does anyone know if these are compatible with Linux/LIRC as a receiver for
> a remote control?
>
> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/44dfb67401fe3e1c2740c0a87f99071a/Product/View/XH6457
>

> The only other ones I can find are USB, and apparently are not compatible
> with LIRC at all.

Nope - no good - its an irda interface which is a different animal!

The Hauppauge USB MCE remote that comes with the PVR150MCE retail works
really well and I think is available seperately. Lots of keys for jump
points to make navigation easy as well. Dunno if DSE does owt in the USB
line that would work though.

--
Robin Gilks

Re: Serial InfraRed Receiver [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 12:08 +1200, Nick & Ann Read wrote:

> The LIRC site also has instructions for building your own serial LIRC
> receiver.

If you have soldering skills then this is a pretty simple task. It
requires less than $10 worth of parts (perhaps even $5). I've built two
serial IR receivers on last couple of years. One for my MythTV frontend
and the other for my jukebox...

The soldering skills required are pretty basic, and the build is pretty
straight forward.

Cheers!

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
At home: andrew@etc.gen.nz | This space intentionally

Re: Serial InfraRed Receiver [ In reply to ]
Andrew Ruthven wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 12:08 +1200, Nick & Ann Read wrote:
>

>> The LIRC site also has instructions for building your own serial LIRC
>> receiver.
>>

> If you have soldering skills then this is a pretty simple task. It
> requires less than $10 worth of parts (perhaps even $5). I've built two
> serial IR receivers on last couple of years. One for my MythTV frontend
> and the other for my jukebox...
>
> The soldering skills required are pretty basic, and the build is pretty
> straight forward.
>
> Cheers!

In the past the DSE IR modules haven't been immune to interference from
flouresent lighting, better to go with the one available from Jaycar.

Re: Serial InfraRed Receiver [ In reply to ]
See the other answers for why not.

Best bet IMHO is to get a microsoft one like this:

http://www.tastech.co.nz/details/557.htm

Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: Serial InfraRed Receiver [ In reply to ]
On Monday 14 August 2006 11:31 am, Andrew Bruce wrote:

> The only other ones I can find are USB, and apparently are not compatible
> with LIRC at all.

We have a (wash mouth out with soap) Microsoft USB one working fine. You can
program it as well.

Rob

Re: Serial InfraRed Receiver [ In reply to ]
> On Monday 14 August 2006 11:31 am, Andrew Bruce wrote:
>
>> The only other ones I can find are USB, and apparently are not
>> compatible
>> with LIRC at all.
>>
> We have a (wash mouth out with soap) Microsoft USB one working fine. You
> can program it as well.

What do you mean by 'program it'

Steve

Re: Serial InfraRed Receiver [ In reply to ]
On Monday 14 August 2006 5:55 pm, Steven Ellis wrote:

> > We have a (wash mouth out with soap) Microsoft USB one working fine. You
> > can program it as well.
>
> What do you mean by 'program it'

Sorry.

It can be programmed to do other things like operating your TV , DVD, etc.
etc.

Re: Serial InfraRed Receiver [ In reply to ]
> On Monday 14 August 2006 5:55 pm, Steven Ellis wrote:
>
>> > We have a (wash mouth out with soap) Microsoft USB one working fine.
>> You
>> > can program it as well.
>>
>> What do you mean by 'program it'
>>
> Sorry.
>
> It can be programmed to do other things like operating your TV , DVD, etc.
> etc.

Which bit, the remote or the IR-Blaster bits that come with the USB Receiver?

Steve

Re: Serial InfraRed Receiver [ In reply to ]

>>> You
>>>
>>> What do you mean by 'program it'
>>>
>> Sorry.
>>
>> It can be programmed to do other things like operating your TV , DVD, etc.
>> etc.
>
>Which bit, the remote or the IR-Blaster bits that come with the USB Receiver?

The remote has 3 buttons that can learn from other remotes (the TV
power button, and the volume buttons). The manual only mentions
these 3 buttons, and I haven't tried programming any others to see if
it's just an omission in the manual, or a hard fact.

- Wade

Re: Serial InfraRed Receiver [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 13:19, Graeme Woollett wrote:
> Andrew Ruthven wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 12:08 +1200, Nick & Ann Read wrote:
> >> The LIRC site also has instructions for building your own serial LIRC
> >> receiver.
> >
> > If you have soldering skills then this is a pretty simple task. It
> > requires less than $10 worth of parts (perhaps even $5). I've built two
> > serial IR receivers on last couple of years. One for my MythTV frontend
> > and the other for my jukebox...
> >
> > The soldering skills required are pretty basic, and the build is pretty
> > straight forward.
> >
> > Cheers!
>
> In the past the DSE IR modules haven't been immune to interference from
> flouresent lighting, better to go with the one available from Jaycar.

I'd vouch for that, I built one based on the plan from lirc and using a IR
receiver from DSE, it's not the best and does get overwhelmed when the sun is
shining...

--
Regards
Tim, Donna & Erin Gibson

Re: Serial InfraRed Receiver [ In reply to ]
On Monday 14 August 2006 6:35 pm, Steven Ellis wrote:

> Which bit, the remote or the IR-Blaster bits that come with the USB
> Receiver?

The remote.

Re: Serial InfraRed Receiver [ In reply to ]
On Monday 14 August 2006 6:51 pm, Wade Maxfield wrote:

> The remote has 3 buttons that can learn from other remotes (the TV
> power button, and the volume buttons). The manual only mentions
> these 3 buttons, and I haven't tried programming any others to see if
> it's just an omission in the manual, or a hard fact.

Try this manual....
http://oem.microsoft.com/static/Worldwide/file/MCE_Remote_Manual.pdf

Re: Serial InfraRed Receiver [ In reply to ]
On Monday 14 August 2006 7:45 pm, Robert Fisher wrote:

> Try this manual....
> http://oem.microsoft.com/static/Worldwide/file/MCE_Remote_Manual.pdf

Oops. Sorry. My son found this with Google and tells me that is what he used
but I think you might need to use Windows to get this file.

(Sometimes his priorities do not have my questions on top of his list)

Re: Serial InfraRed Receiver [ In reply to ]
Robert Fisher wrote:
> On Monday 14 August 2006 7:45 pm, Robert Fisher wrote:
>

>> Try this manual....
>> http://oem.microsoft.com/static/Worldwide/file/MCE_Remote_Manual.pdf
>>

> Oops. Sorry. My son found this with Google and tells me that is what he used
> but I think you might need to use Windows to get this file.

Interesting. Is this an MCE1 remote or MCE2 remote. IE is the layout
anything like the remote at
http://openmedia.co.nz/openmedia/content/view/27/59/

Steve

--
Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited

Re: Serial InfraRed Receiver [ In reply to ]
On Monday 14 August 2006 8:35 pm, Steven Ellis wrote:

> Interesting. Is this an MCE1 remote or MCE2 remote.

MCE2

> IE is the layout
> anything like the remote at
> http://openmedia.co.nz/openmedia/content/view/27/59/

Amost but more like...
http://www.golfchoice.co.uk/ebay/remotecontrol3.jpg

Re: Serial InfraRed Receiver [ In reply to ]
On Mon, August 14, 2006 6:07 pm, Robert Fisher wrote:
> On Monday 14 August 2006 5:55 pm, Steven Ellis wrote:
>
>> > We have a (wash mouth out with soap) Microsoft USB one working fine.
>> You
>> > can program it as well.
>>
>> What do you mean by 'program it'
>>
> Sorry.
>
> It can be programmed to do other things like operating your TV , DVD, etc.
> etc.
actually there are two buttons on it that can be programmed to another
remote function, thats it I'm afraid.

Re: Serial InfraRed Receiver [ In reply to ]
On Monday 14 August 2006 9:13 pm, Nick Rout wrote:

> actually there are two buttons on it that can be programmed to another
> remote function, thats it I'm afraid.

I think ours has more buttons than yours Nick

(see picture in previous post)

Re: Serial InfraRed Receiver [ In reply to ]
On Mon, August 14, 2006 9:27 pm, Robert Fisher wrote:
> On Monday 14 August 2006 9:13 pm, Nick Rout wrote:
>
>> actually there are two buttons on it that can be programmed to another
>> remote function, thats it I'm afraid.
>>
> I think ours has more buttons than yours Nick
>
> (see picture in previous post)

It is exactly the same. the book refers to being able to set up the "TV"
button (to switch your TV on and off) and the volume buttons (to control
your tv volume instead of the computer sound card) I guess as the vol goes
up and down, so that makes 3.

Re: Serial InfraRed Receiver [ In reply to ]
On Mon, August 14, 2006 9:52 pm, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Mon, August 14, 2006 9:27 pm, Robert Fisher wrote:
>> On Monday 14 August 2006 9:13 pm, Nick Rout wrote:
>>
>>> actually there are two buttons on it that can be programmed to another
>>> remote function, thats it I'm afraid.
>>>
>> I think ours has more buttons than yours Nick
>>
>> (see picture in previous post)
>
> It is exactly the same. the book refers to being able to set up the "TV"
> button (to switch your TV on and off) and the volume buttons (to control
> your tv volume instead of the computer sound card) I guess as the vol goes
> up and down, so that makes 3.

Here is another link to the remote control manual pdf
http://www.2partsfusion.com/manuals/MCE_Remote_Manual.pdf

There isn't a icture in the manual, but the description of the buttons
corresponds, including the red/yellow/blue/green buttons.

" Using the Remote Control Learning Functionality
The TV, VOL +, and VOL &#8211; buttons on the remote control for Media
Center PC can
&#8220;learn&#8221; IR commands from other remote controls. This feature
lets you use the TV
button to turn on your TV and the VOL + and VOL - buttons to adjust the
volume on your
TV or another device, such as an audio receiver.
Notes
&#8226; By default, the VOL + and VOL - buttons on the remote control for
Media Center PC
control the system volume on your computer, and the TV button has no
command
assigned to it until it &#8220;learns&#8221; one." (page 7)
"

Re: Serial InfraRed Receiver [ In reply to ]
On Monday 14 August 2006 9:52 pm, Nick Rout wrote:

> It is exactly the same. the book refers to being able to set up the "TV"
> button (to switch your TV on and off) and the volume buttons (to control
> your tv volume instead of the computer sound card) I guess as the vol goes
> up and down, so that makes 3.

Yes you are correct. You spotted my deliberate mistake.