Maybe I'm just being an idiot, but how do I get (TV1,2,Maori,boatAnchor) on
DVB to coexist with (TV1,2,3) on the 150? I mainly just want TV3 from the
150, and can't coax the DVB to cough up the data for it.

--
Alan Podjursky ICQ 24423014
"Yay, evil evil! Happy torture!" -- Gwyneth
"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson
http://www.fanfiction.net/~mercva

RE: DVB and a 150 coexisting [ In reply to ]
>Maybe I'm just being an idiot, but how do I get (TV1,2,Maori,boatAnchor) on

>DVB to coexist with (TV1,2,3) on the 150? I mainly just want TV3 from the
>150, and can't coax the DVB to cough up the data for it.

Alan, your not an idiot as its not obvious and is surprisingly poorly
documented on the web.

Here is a dump from my database of channel 1 and 2 with 150 and dvb card...

chanid, channum, freqid, sourceid, callsign, name, icon, finetune,
videofilters, xmltvid, recpriority, contrast, brightness, colour, hue,
tvformat, commfree, visible, outputfilters, useonairguide, mplexid,
serviceid, atscsrcid
5036, '2', '2', 4, 'TV2', 'TV2', '', , '', '02', 0, 32768, 32768, 32768,
32768, 'Default', 0, 1, '', 0, 1, 1036, 0
5035, '1', '1', 4, 'TV1', 'TV1', '', , '', '01', 0, 32768, 32768, 32768,
32768, 'Default', 0, 1, '', 0, 1, 1035, 0
1, '1', '1', 5, 'TV1', 'TV1', '/root/.mythtv/channels/TV1.jpeg', , '', '01',
0, 32768, 32768, 32768, 32768, 'Default', 0, 1, '', 0, , 0, 0
2, '2', '2', 5, 'TV2', 'TV2', '/root/.mythtv/channels/TV2.jpeg', , '', '02',
0, 32768, 33423, 32768, 32768, 'Default', 0, 1, '', 0, , 0, 0

I nearly posted about this the other day but I finally managed to figure it
out.

Here are the rules for making it work:

1) make sure your channums and callsign are the same for like channels,
by default they will probably be different which is what tripped me up.
2) make sure the xmltvid's are the same so your guide data is the same
(you'll probably have to run mythfilldatabase twice, one for each card).
3) make sure visible is set to on for the same channels on both cards,
this also tripped me as I was hiding the DVB channels, myth uses the
callsign to match channels and only displays one 'version' of the channel.

That should be it.

For me the process was:

1) import channels for my pvr150 from a web based feed.
2) scan for DVB channels.
3) renamethe callsigns for 1, 2 etc to match the sky callsigns
4) check and set the xmltvid's to be the same.
5) add an extra line to my mythfilldatabase script so that DVB channels
are populated as well.

Hope this makes sense, someone else will no doubt point out if I've missed
something or if there is an easy way.

PS, download MQSQL Query browser from mysql.org and also the admin tool its
much easier to manage the database as it provides a graphical interface to
the myth database.

Cheers
Toby Mills
www.np.co.nz

Re: DVB and a 150 coexisting [ In reply to ]
>Maybe I'm just being an idiot, but how do I get (TV1,2,Maori,boatAnchor) on
>DVB to coexist with (TV1,2,3) on the 150? I mainly just want TV3 from the
>150, and can't coax the DVB to cough up the data for it.

As Toby says, you need to set the channel and callsigns the same for the
same channels so Myth knows it can use either card when recording.

In order to get the data for TV3 from DVB, you need to check out the
instructions here:
http://www.pvr.geek.nz/w/index.php/Listings
I think you need to tune the DVB card to the 12671 transport in order to
pull down the Sky data for all channels inc TV3. It isn't available from the
12456 transport where you're getting TV1 etc from normally.

There was also some useful info in responses to a similar question I posted
on the list a week or two ago..

Nick

PS How did you go with Knoppmyth?
Re: DVB and a 150 coexisting [ In reply to ]
At 08:49 p.m. 12/08/2006, you wrote:
>As Toby says, you need to set the channel and callsigns the same for the
>same channels so Myth knows it can use either card when recording.

Hmmm... I tried monkeying with that, and my DVB-S and 150 coexisting
channels turned to static. Will have to monkey with it more.

>In order to get the data for TV3 from DVB, you need to check out the
>instructions here:
><http://www.pvr.geek.nz/w/index.php/Listings>http://www.pvr.geek.nz/w/index.php/Listings

Thanks!

>I think you need to tune the DVB card to the 12671 transport in order to
>pull down the Sky data for all channels inc TV3. It isn't available from
>the 12456 transport where you're getting TV1 etc from normally.

I've got the two cards tuned to 671. Boy, do they take ages to scan
compared to the 150. They make you feel more NASA Controller than the 150,
though.

>There was also some useful info in responses to a similar question I
>posted on the list a week or two ago..

Will have to comb through Eudora.

>Nick
>PS How did you go with Knoppmyth?

A great deal better than with Jarod's Fedora guide. The main issues have been:

SOLVED- TV Out -- wound up having to download 12 megabytes (!) of driver to
get it working
- EPG -- the thing is STILL twelve hours ahead of what it should be, and
there is no option to slow it 12 hours. The XMLTV offset doesn't work. I
don't want to slow down the system clock 12 hours, because then everything
ELSE will go funky.
- Tuning -- or getting digital and analog to live happily together. It's
not very intuitive, and there are approximately no easily found guides.
They are ALL based in America, the land of either FireWire cable or pure
analog 150s and IR blasters.
- MythMusic -- it behaves decidedly funkily, and my hodgepodge of randomly
tagged MP3s mean that, for instance, there are four different Johnny Cash
artists in it. If I don't have a way of getting it to just show
directories, I'm going to have to do more work than I want to.
SOLVED- Hard drive -- SATA II drives are the best value for money right
now, so I got one, thinking, well, it's been more than a year, surely Linux
supports it. Wrong. Debian stable didn't, Fedora was a piece of crap and
supported it, and KnoppMyth doesn't. I wound up buying a PATA WD 160GB from
Tricky Dicky for more than I probably should have. Very first HDD I've EVER
seen that came in a box and wasn't OEM.
- Samba -- it doesn't seem to run automatically at boot, and the command to
make it do that doesn't spring to mind.

If anyone has fixes for the nonsolved in that list, I'd be grateful. On the
other hand, I HAVEN'T had to muck about with:

- X windows, beyond TV out (which is more a NVidia issue)
- MySQLd, or trying to get it running at boot
- LVM, the KnoppMyth script (create_lvm.sh) works very satisfactorily
- window managers
- login managers
- downloading twenty terabytes of crap over 56k dialup (major win)

so on the whole KnoppMyth has been a win that I would recommend to newbs
like myself. My father has been VERY interested in this, and the music (and
CD ripping) portion drew his attention immediately. The prospect of losing
the sky subscription once the FTA channels come up on the new bird is very
enticing to him. I can't WAIT until the FTA ch3 is up, so I can either
ditch the 150 or chuck it on the VCR or something. I miss a lot of shows
because I can't be stuffed managing VCR tapes all the time, so I'm looking
forward to actually seeing the programs I want. (Shift work can be evil at
times.)

I really really want to get this going well -- I've got some quality
British ale in the fridge from New World that I've told myself I can only
have once it's working properly! (The Chimay, on the other hand, I couldn't
resist at all. Beautiful stuff. I also just tried Mac's Sassy Red today,
that's quite nice too.)

Re: DVB and a 150 coexisting [ In reply to ]
On 8/12/06, AlanP <alan.p@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> - EPG -- the thing is STILL twelve hours ahead of what it should be, and
> there is no option to slow it 12 hours. The XMLTV offset doesn't work. I
> don't want to slow down the system clock 12 hours, because then everything
> ELSE will go funky.

If you're getting EPG data via tv_grab_dvb there is a command line
option to fix this. E.g. I'm using:
tv_grab_dvb -s -o 12 > /home/mythtv/listings-$$.xml
The -o 12 tells tv_grab_dvb to offset the times in the resulting xml
by 12 hours.

> - Tuning -- or getting digital and analog to live happily together. It's
> not very intuitive, and there are approximately no easily found guides.

Can you provide a dump of the channel table in your database for the
channels in question?

> - MythMusic -- it behaves decidedly funkily, and my hodgepodge of randomly
> tagged MP3s mean that, for instance, there are four different Johnny Cash
> artists in it. If I don't have a way of getting it to just show
> directories, I'm going to have to do more work than I want to.

I don't have a good answer for this. I've corrected all of the
metadata in the musicmetadata table by hand, but I don't have a way to
get this metadata back into the mp3s. I have backed up my
musicmetadata table so that if I do a rescan in myth I don't have to
manually fix everything again. Anyone got a better solution?

> SOLVED- Hard drive -- SATA II drives are the best value for money right
> now, so I got one, thinking, well, it's been more than a year, surely Linux
> supports it. Wrong. Debian stable didn't, Fedora was a piece of crap and
> supported it, and KnoppMyth doesn't. I wound up buying a PATA WD 160GB from
> Tricky Dicky for more than I probably should have. Very first HDD I've EVER
> seen that came in a box and wasn't OEM.

I have a SATA drive in my Myth box. I just bought a SATA PCI card
(http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH8269) as the
motherboard doesn't have SATA. It works fine under Linux. I have the
same card in a WinXP machine with a SATA-II drive as well.

Cheers,
Steve

RE: DVB and a 150 coexisting [ In reply to ]
- Samba -- it doesn't seem to run automatically at boot, and the command to
make it do that doesn't spring to mind.

Knoppmyth comes with webmin which is a web based admin tool for linux, it
might make things a bit easier as you can setup shares and mount remote file
systems by just filling in the blanks.

Check out..
http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=WebminHowTo

Toby Mills
www.np.co.nz

RE: DVB and a 150 coexisting [ In reply to ]
At 06:40 p.m. 12/08/2006, you wrote:
>2) make sure the xmltvid's are the same so your guide data is the same
>(you'll probably have to run mythfilldatabase twice, one for each card).

Really? I thought it was once for the one video source or something?

>4) check and set the xmltvid's to be the same.
>5) add an extra line to my mythfilldatabase script so that DVB channels
>are populated as well.

What script are you using?

I can't seem to spot the "xmltvid" things in my 'listings-latest.xml' --
the first 40 lines are as follows:

<!DOCTYPE tv SYSTEM "xmltv.dtd">
<tv generator-info-name="dvb-epg-gen">
<channel id="0.dvb.guide">
<display-name>Maori TV (0x0401) 01</display-name>
</channel>
<channel id="0.dvb.guide">
<display-name>TV One (0x040b) 01</display-name>
</channel>
<channel id="0.dvb.guide">
<display-name>TV 2 (0x040c) 01</display-name>
</channel>
<channel id="0.dvb.guide">
<display-name>TV One (0x040d) 01</display-name>
</channel>
<channel id="0.dvb.guide">
<display-name>TV 2 (0x040e) 01</display-name>
</channel>
<channel id="0.dvb.guide">
<display-name>Test 1 (0x076d) 01</display-name>
</channel>
<channel id="0.dvb.guide">
<display-name>Test 2 (0x076e) 01</display-name>
</channel>
<channel id="0.dvb.guide">
<display-name>Test 3 (0x076f) 01</display-name>
</channel>
<channel id="0.dvb.guide">
<display-name>[0770] (0x0770) 00</display-name>
</channel>
<channel id="0.dvb.guide">
<display-name>TS9 IEPG Data Service (0x2331) 83</display-name>
</channel>

<programme channel="1036.dvb.guide" start="20060813144500"
stop="20060813170000">
<title lang="eng">International Basketball</title>
<desc lang="eng">Live from Invercargill the second test of the
Jeep International Series, the New Zealand Tall Blacks take on Qatar in
their last build up game before the World championship.</desc>
<!-- Long Event Info Detected - Bug Author to decode -->
</programme>

===================================

and it gets boringly similar from there on in. Are the xmltvid things the
"1036.dvb.guide" bits?

RE: DVB and a 150 coexisting [ In reply to ]
>>4) check and set the xmltvid's to be the same.
>>5) add an extra line to my mythfilldatabase script so that DVB
channels
>>are populated as well.

>What script are you using?

Mine looks like this:

cd /home/mythtv
rm -f /home/mythtv/latest.xml
wget http://hairy.geek.nz/epg/latest.xml.gz
gzip -d latest.xml.gz
mythfilldatabase --file 1 -1 latest.xml --update
mythfilldatabase --file 5 -1 latest.xml --update

My cards are 1 (pvr350) and 5 (DVB-S). I've deleted the dvb card a few times
while setting it up, so its got renumbered as 5. As you can see I'm still
downloading mine.

>I can't seem to spot the "xmltvid" things in my 'listings-latest.xml' --
>the first 40 lines are as follows:

><programme channel="1036.dvb.guide" start="20060813144500"
>stop="20060813170000">
> <title lang="eng">International Basketball</title>
> <desc lang="eng">Live from Invercargill the second test of the
>Jeep International Series, the New Zealand Tall Blacks take on Qatar in
>their last build up game before the World championship.</desc>
> <!-- Long Event Info Detected - Bug Author to decode -->
></programme>
>
>and it gets boringly similar from there on in. Are the xmltvid things the
>"1036.dvb.guide" bits?

Yep. thats what you need to set up for each channel.
RE: DVB and a 150 coexisting [ In reply to ]
At 05:38 p.m. 13/08/2006, you wrote:
>mythfilldatabase --file 1 -1 latest.xml --update
>mythfilldatabase --file 5 -1 latest.xml --update
>My cards are 1 (pvr350) and 5 (DVB-S). I've deleted the dvb card a few
>times while setting it up, so its got renumbered as 5. As you can see I'm
>still downloading mine.

Ahhhh.... so the file <num> refers to the CARDS, not to the video sources...

> >and it gets boringly similar from there on in. Are the xmltvid things the
> >"1036.dvb.guide" bits?
>Yep. thats what you need to set up for each channel.

Ah, oh good. Do I need to tick the 'On Air Guide' thing for 'em?

RE: DVB and a 150 coexisting [ In reply to ]
>> >and it gets boringly similar from there on in. Are the xmltvid things
the
>> >"1036.dvb.guide" bits?
>>Yep. thats what you need to set up for each channel.

>Ah, oh good. Do I need to tick the 'On Air Guide' thing for 'em?

You have two choices. Firstly you can grab an xml file (download or via tv_grab_dvb) and populate data for all your channels that way. Secondly, you can tick 'On Air Guide' and it will download channel data for that channel IF it is being broadcast on the transponder where that channel lives. The problem is that TVNZ aren't broadcasting good data on thier transponders, it only covers now/next. So you probably want to use tv_grab_dvb and get an xml file from the Sky tranponder, and ignore the 'On air guide' option for now. Hopefully, once freeview is up properly, they will broadcast proper data.
Re: DVB and a 150 coexisting [ In reply to ]
On 8/13/06, Nick & Ann Read <nick.read@engineer.com> wrote:
> >Ah, oh good. Do I need to tick the 'On Air Guide' thing for 'em?
>
> You have two choices. Firstly you can grab an xml file (download or via tv_grab_dvb) and populate data for all your channels that way. Secondly, you can tick 'On Air Guide' and it will download channel data for that channel IF it is being broadcast on the transponder where that channel lives. The problem is that TVNZ aren't broadcasting good data on thier transponders, it only covers now/next.

They used to have good-ish data. But I stopped using their feed for
another reason: you don't want any differences between your EPG for a
channel that appears on more than one input. E.g. you want the EPG
data for One on your DVB card to be exactly the same as the EPG data
for One on your PVR150 or whatever. I was using Sky's feed for the
tuner and TVNZ's feed for the DVB card and I found that they were
sometimes slightly different (e.g. slightly different titles for
programs). This means the scheduler won't treat them as the same.

Steve

Re: DVB and a 150 coexisting [ In reply to ]
>- EPG -- the thing is STILL twelve hours ahead of what it should be, and
>there is no option to slow it 12 hours. The XMLTV offset doesn't work. I
>don't want to slow down the system clock 12 hours, because then everything
>ELSE will go funky.

Solved this. I was using Myth's EIT function, gave up on that and switched
to tv_grab_dvb, with Wade's scripting to get 12 hours difference. I'm still
not 100% certain of it (no dvbstream on KM, so I'm using the backend's dvb
antics).

>- Tuning -- or getting digital and analog to live happily together. It's
>not very intuitive, and there are approximately no easily found guides.
>They are ALL based in America, the land of either FireWire cable or pure
>analog 150s and IR blasters.

Gave up on this. I can stand no channel 3 for a few months, until FreeView
eventuates. So I'm running purely on the two Skystar2s either until my
fingers get twitchy or I run into too many recording conflicts. Whenever I
set digital and analog to the same chanid and callsign, the digital turned
to complete static.

>- MythMusic -- it behaves decidedly funkily, and my hodgepodge of randomly
>tagged MP3s mean that, for instance, there are four different Johnny Cash
>artists in it. If I don't have a way of getting it to just show
>directories, I'm going to have to do more work than I want to.

Given up on this for the time being. I might turn it over to my little
brother, who can stand boring stuff (like fixing ID3 tags for 30G of music)
better than I can.

>- Samba -- it doesn't seem to run automatically at boot, and the command
>to make it do that doesn't spring to mind.

Fixed! Toby, the Webmin link solved this for me.

One surprising point of interest was the Gallery thing -- Dad takes digital
photos, and was pleasantly surprised and highly interested in this part.
MythVideo was interesting insofar as watching my Children of Dune ogm's and
not-here-yet US SG1-Atlantis episodes.

Re: DVB and a 150 coexisting [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 22:59:56 +1200
AlanP wrote:

> >- MythMusic -- it behaves decidedly funkily, and my hodgepodge of randomly
> >tagged MP3s mean that, for instance, there are four different Johnny Cash
> >artists in it. If I don't have a way of getting it to just show
> >directories, I'm going to have to do more work than I want to.
>
> Given up on this for the time being. I might turn it over to my little
> brother, who can stand boring stuff (like fixing ID3 tags for 30G of music)
> better than I can.

mythmusic is crap. they something (anything) else IMHO.

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: DVB and a 150 coexisting [ In reply to ]
On Monday 14 August 2006 09:20, Nick Rout wrote:
> mythmusic is crap. they something (anything) else IMHO.

Re-doing MythMusic is one of the Google Summer of Code projects for Myth[1] so
it may well get better when that is finished and released. SoC projects are
due to be finished around the end of August so it could be in for the .20
release.

hads

[1]http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/SoC2006

--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealand's VoIP supplier

RE: DVB and a 150 coexisting [ In reply to ]
>>> - MythMusic -- it behaves decidedly funkily, and my hodgepodge of
>>> randomly tagged MP3s mean that, for instance, there are four
>>> different Johnny Cash artists in it. If I don't have a way of
>>> getting
>>> it to just show directories, I'm going to have to do more work than
>>> I want to.
>>
>> Given up on this for the time being. I might turn it over to my
>> little brother, who can stand boring stuff (like fixing ID3 tags for
>> 30G of music) better than I can.
>
> mythmusic is crap. they something (anything) else IMHO.

MythMusic is not entirely crap, but it does have LOTS of foibles.

I believe you can adjust how the database is built. See
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MythMusic#Configuring_MythMusic and see
if it is relevant. I just fixed the tagging of all my MP3s. :)

MM is being replaced RSN. Read the "MythMusic Revamp" messages posted to
the MythTV summer of code list,
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-soc/2006-July/. mfd/mfe, the DAAP
(iTunes protocol) engine, is being updated to work much the same as MM. SOC
is due to end soon, but I haven't seen any updates lately. Hanging out to
see it!

Craig

Re: DVB and a 150 coexisting [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:37:25 +1200
Craig Box wrote:

> >> Given up on this for the time being. I might turn it over to my
> >> little brother, who can stand boring stuff (like fixing ID3 tags for
> >> 30G of music) better than I can.
> >
> > mythmusic is crap. they something (anything) else IMHO.
>
> MythMusic is not entirely crap, but it does have LOTS of foibles.
>
> I believe you can adjust how the database is built. See
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MythMusic#Configuring_MythMusic and see
> if it is relevant. I just fixed the tagging of all my MP3s. :)
>
> MM is being replaced RSN. Read the "MythMusic Revamp" messages posted to
> the MythTV summer of code list,
> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-soc/2006-July/. mfd/mfe, the DAAP
> (iTunes protocol) engine, is being updated to work much the same as MM. SOC
> is due to end soon, but I haven't seen any updates lately. Hanging out to
> see it!
>
> Craig

I have been happy with slimserver and a command line client over ssh.
clunky but it works.

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>