Mailing List Archive

DVB issues
For some reason, both Skystar2 cards are acting... strangely. I've added
/dev/dvb to the mythtv group, recursively.

They will refuse to lock onto a transport (12483) on first scan. Going back
a screen and re-scanning will work AFTER a failure, however, with both
cards. They're running on the stock Fedora Core 2.6.17 drivers.

Mythbackend throws a complete wobbly, saying that there is issues with the
Initial Tone Setting or something similar. It also claims that it can't
find the tuning parameters, despite mythtv-setup scanning properly (on the
second go around).

The PVR150 scans nicely on ivtv 7.0, and doesn't have any issues that I can
see, but I can't check if the EIT EPG thing is working, since mythfrontend
is refusing altogether to run any TV watching shenanigans.

Does anyone have any tips? What am I doing wrong? Is there some setting in
Fedora that I haven't configured correctly?

--
Alan Podjursky ICQ 24423014
"Yay, evil evil! Happy torture!" -- Gwyneth

Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
On 8/9/06, AlanP <alan.p@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> Does anyone have any tips? What am I doing wrong? Is there some setting in
> Fedora that I haven't configured correctly?

What version of Myth are you using? I've seen similar reports on the
Myth dev list, e.g.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/216977.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
Quoting AlanP <alan.p@orcon.net.nz>:

> Does anyone have any tips? What am I doing wrong? Is there some setting in
> Fedora that I haven't configured correctly?

IF this is a dedicated myth box, then my recommendation is Knoppmyth:
1) Download
2) Burn
3) Install
4) Configure
5) Watch TV :-)

Just my 2 cents. Otherwise (ie its not a dedicated myth box) then are you
following the Jarod Wilson guide for Fedora?

Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
>IF this is a dedicated myth box, then my recommendation is Knoppmyth:
>1) Download
>2) Burn
>3) Install
>4) Configure
>5) Watch TV :-)

Does Knoppmyth support DVB-S and EIT EPG things? I don't want to download
700MB and find out that that was a waste of time...

>Just my 2 cents. Otherwise (ie its not a dedicated myth box) then are you
>following the Jarod Wilson guide for Fedora?

Err... mostly. My main mistake was trying to use blackbox or something
other than KDE, I think. I followed all his instructions for myth and ivtv,
but he doesn't say a word about DVB!

Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
At 12:50 p.m. 9/08/2006, you wrote:
>What version of Myth are you using? I've seen similar reports on the
>Myth dev list, e.g.
>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/216977.

I'm using the latest from atrpms.net, so probably 0.19 point something.

Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
Quoting AlanP <alan.p@orcon.net.nz>:

> Does Knoppmyth support DVB-S and EIT EPG things? I don't want to download
> 700MB and find out that that was a waste of time...

Absolutely, thats what I use, with the same DVB card as yours ;-) The latest
KM R5C7 is myth 19.1-fixes, including the latest DVB stuff.

>> Just my 2 cents. Otherwise (ie its not a dedicated myth box) then are you
>> following the Jarod Wilson guide for Fedora?
>
> Err... mostly. My main mistake was trying to use blackbox or something
> other than KDE, I think. I followed all his instructions for myth and ivtv,
> but he doesn't say a word about DVB!

OK, just checking. Never gone that route myself :-)

Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
>For some reason, both Skystar2 cards are acting... strangely. I've
>added /dev/dvb to the mythtv group, recursively.
>
>They will refuse to lock onto a transport (12483) on first scan.
>Going back a screen and re-scanning will work AFTER a failure,
>however, with both cards. They're running on the stock Fedora Core
>2.6.17 drivers.
>
>Mythbackend throws a complete wobbly, saying that there is issues
>with the Initial Tone Setting or something similar. It also claims
>that it can't find the tuning parameters, despite mythtv-setup
>scanning properly (on the second go around).
>
>The PVR150 scans nicely on ivtv 7.0, and doesn't have any issues
>that I can see, but I can't check if the EIT EPG thing is working,
>since mythfrontend is refusing altogether to run any TV watching
>shenanigans.
>
>Does anyone have any tips? What am I doing wrong? Is there some
>setting in Fedora that I haven't configured correctly?

Jumping in late, but what are you trying to get off 12483? If it's
just One and TV2 try 12671. You'll probably need to rerun
mythtv-setup and do a channel scan, but it's what I switched to when
I couldn't get 12483 working a couple of weeks ago.

(This is all FC4 2.6.16)

- Wade

Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 13:23:45 +1200
AlanP wrote:

> >IF this is a dedicated myth box, then my recommendation is Knoppmyth:
> >1) Download
> >2) Burn
> >3) Install
> >4) Configure
> >5) Watch TV :-)
>
> Does Knoppmyth support DVB-S and EIT EPG things? I don't want to download
> 700MB and find out that that was a waste of time...

Well its an integral part of mythtv so I would assume so. However it is
presumably possible to compile mythtv without DVB support (although why
would you?) I don't have my skystar in my knoppmythbox at present (one
pci slot occupied by PVR 150) but I can see that the DVB devices
/dev/dev/adaptor[0-3] are present.

I'm pretty sure when i configured mythtv that the options for DVB cards
were present, although useless to me at that point.

if you want to save a download I will post you a cd of the latest
knoppmyth, you can buy me a beer sometime. Email me offlist with your
address.

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
> > Does Knoppmyth support DVB-S and EIT EPG things? I don't want to
download
> > 700MB and find out that that was a waste of time...

I put my new skystar 2 card in last week, running the latest version of
knoppmyth.

dropped the card in, ran up the dvb utilities to check the signal strength
etc and went straight into mythtv-setup and scanned for new channels using
the instructions on pvr.geek.nz.

worked a charm and hasn't skipped a beat since.
it even picked up the guide data automatically for the dvb channels although
i overode this and went back to an internet download so i get all the
categories coming through nicely and they are the same as my sky channels.
it took longer to setup all the channels than it did to get the card
working.

I stopped rolling my own mythtv last year at knoppmyth r16 as its just
gotten so good now. My partner fragged a hard disk on a frontend with an ill
timed power cycle last week and I had the whole frontend going again in 20
minutes. she went off and talked to someone on the phone and by the time she
got back coronation street was ready to roll as the backend had still been
recording it while i rebuilt the frontend. Knoppmyth has saved my arse on a
number of occasions now and I couldn't help but have a sigh of relief when
she came back and said "I thought you said I broke it".

Cheers
Toby
www.np.co.nz

Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
On 8/9/06, Wade Maxfield <mythtvnz@hotblack.co.nz> wrote:
> Jumping in late, but what are you trying to get off 12483? If it's
> just One and TV2 try 12671. You'll probably need to rerun
> mythtv-setup and do a channel scan, but it's what I switched to when
> I couldn't get 12483 working a couple of weeks ago.

As I mentioned in another thread, 12483 does work properly but has
different service pids to what it used to have. Right now 12483 has
One, 2, Maori TV, Bloomberg, DW-TV, CCTV, and another channel that I
suspect is TVNZ's wide test.

But those channels aren't setup properly by mythtv-setup. What I've
found is that rescanning 12483 results in the right channels with the
right service pids, but with the wrong mplexid - it's putting the
channels on the mplexid for 12456. Oh, and the wide test channel on
pid 1904 isn't detected at all by the scan, at least on my system. I
don't know anything about mythtv's DVB scanning code, but I suspect
that TVNZ has something misconfigured. If I manually correct the
mplexid in the database and add 1904 all those channels work fine.

Incidentally I don't have any problems scanning 12483 using MythTV
0.19 on Gentoo using a SkyStar2. Apart from the above issues with the
results.

Steve

Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]

Re: Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
On 8/9/06, toby <toby@np.co.nz> wrote:
> it even picked up the guide data automatically for the dvb channels although
> i overode this and went back to an internet download so i get all the
> categories coming through nicely and they are the same as my sky channels.

What site are using for internet downloads? I'm interested in getting
some category data...

Steve

Re: Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
> What site are using for internet downloads? I'm interested in getting some
category data...

http://desktop-1.no-ip.org/epgmce_files/listing2.xml

Be careful, its not compressed!!
This comes from a windows media center user I think but if somebody knows
who set it up then perhaps you could talk to them about compressing a copy
of it.
Alternatively perhaps someone could figure out how to get the categories on
a linux box, I don't get warm fuzzies by downloading guide data from a
windows machine for my linux pvr.

Now I have a DVB card myself i'd quite like to make my own guide data but I
haven't quite figured out all the bits.
Can someone post a script they use to do this, if I get it working then I
might be able to figure out how to tweak it to set the right categories.

Toby
www.np.co.nz

Re: Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 16:17:48 +1200
toby wrote:

> > What site are using for internet downloads? I'm interested in getting some
> category data...
>
> http://desktop-1.no-ip.org/epgmce_files/listing2.xml
>
> Be careful, its not compressed!!
> This comes from a windows media center user I think but if somebody knows
> who set it up then perhaps you could talk to them about compressing a copy
> of it.
> Alternatively perhaps someone could figure out how to get the categories on
> a linux box, I don't get warm fuzzies by downloading guide data from a
> windows machine for my linux pvr.
>
> Now I have a DVB card myself i'd quite like to make my own guide data but I
> haven't quite figured out all the bits.
> Can someone post a script they use to do this, if I get it working then I
> might be able to figure out how to tweak it to set the right categories.
>
> Toby
> www.np.co.nz

I don't know how many times I have to say this, but you can get the
categories with xmltvnz from http://www.reven.co.nz

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
> > What site are using for internet downloads? I'm interested in getting some
>category data...
>
>http://desktop-1.no-ip.org/epgmce_files/listing2.xml
>
>Be careful, its not compressed!!
>This comes from a windows media center user I think but if somebody knows
>who set it up then perhaps you could talk to them about compressing a copy
>of it.
>Alternatively perhaps someone could figure out how to get the categories on
>a linux box, I don't get warm fuzzies by downloading guide data from a
>windows machine for my linux pvr.
>
>Now I have a DVB card myself i'd quite like to make my own guide data but I
>haven't quite figured out all the bits.
>Can someone post a script they use to do this, if I get it working then I
>might be able to figure out how to tweak it to set the right categories.
>
>Toby
>www.np.co.nz

There's a script I use in this thread.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/215004#215004

It's got a call to another script that I use to massage my listings a
little further, but that could be replaced with a script to tweak
categories. I've got a series of sql commands that could be used as
the basis of one. Pretty fudgy but it might be of use...

- Wade
Re: Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
> I don't know how many times I have to say this, but you can get the
categories with xmltvnz from http://www.reven.co.nz

Yes i'm aware of that application but I think most people would would feel
much more comfortable getting guide data over the air as opposed to scraping
it off websites.

It did work for me when I tried it but it didn't seem like a good long term
solution to me and it took hours to put together a file and consumed vast
quantities of bandwidth.

Regards
Toby Mills
www.np.co.nz

Re: Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
On 8/9/06, toby <toby@np.co.nz> wrote:
> > What site are using for internet downloads? I'm interested in getting some
> category data...
>
> http://desktop-1.no-ip.org/epgmce_files/listing2.xml
>
> Be careful, its not compressed!!
> This comes from a windows media center user I think but if somebody knows
> who set it up then perhaps you could talk to them about compressing a copy
> of it.

Oh, it's probably from that .net app someone linked to a while back.

> Alternatively perhaps someone could figure out how to get the categories on
> a linux box, I don't get warm fuzzies by downloading guide data from a
> windows machine for my linux pvr.

I have been messing about with tv_grab_dvb and have a version that
gets the categories in Sky's data. But they use non-standard
categories and also seem to be putting some ratings advisory flags in
there (e.g. contains violence, language, etc). Sky themselves don't
seem to use the categories in their decoders (at least I haven't found
it in my non-MySky decoder), and their website only uses the top level
categories. So I've got nothing to compare against. When I get this
stuff working nicely post it to the list.

> Now I have a DVB card myself i'd quite like to make my own guide data but I
> haven't quite figured out all the bits.
> Can someone post a script they use to do this, if I get it working then I
> might be able to figure out how to tweak it to set the right categories.

Check this out:
http://pvr.geek.nz/w/index.php/Listings#DVB_On-air_Guide

It's pretty much what I use, except that I load the file twice using
mythfilldatabase - once for the DVB channels and again for the Sky
channels on my PVR150. That way I know that the DVB channels and the
Sky channels have the same data so the MythTV scheduler can switch
between them without any problems when recording from One or 2.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
Steve

That's the problem I've been having, I can scan 12483 and myth cannot change
to those channels when watching TV, error rate really high and signal quality
low, if I change cahhenl to 12671 (sky transponder) all's OK. Myth will not
detect TVNZ Wide even though it's there...

What are your settings out of the table in mysql, if I might be so rude...

Regards
Tim

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 15:16, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 8/9/06, Wade Maxfield <mythtvnz@hotblack.co.nz> wrote:
> > Jumping in late, but what are you trying to get off 12483? If it's
> > just One and TV2 try 12671. You'll probably need to rerun
> > mythtv-setup and do a channel scan, but it's what I switched to when
> > I couldn't get 12483 working a couple of weeks ago.
>
> As I mentioned in another thread, 12483 does work properly but has
> different service pids to what it used to have. Right now 12483 has
> One, 2, Maori TV, Bloomberg, DW-TV, CCTV, and another channel that I
> suspect is TVNZ's wide test.
>
> But those channels aren't setup properly by mythtv-setup. What I've
> found is that rescanning 12483 results in the right channels with the
> right service pids, but with the wrong mplexid - it's putting the
> channels on the mplexid for 12456. Oh, and the wide test channel on
> pid 1904 isn't detected at all by the scan, at least on my system. I
> don't know anything about mythtv's DVB scanning code, but I suspect
> that TVNZ has something misconfigured. If I manually correct the
> mplexid in the database and add 1904 all those channels work fine.
>
> Incidentally I don't have any problems scanning 12483 using MythTV
> 0.19 on Gentoo using a SkyStar2. Apart from the above issues with the
> results.
>
> Steve

Regards
Tim, Donna & Erin Gibson
ICQ - 2207616

Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
On 8/9/06, Tim, Donna & Erin Gibson <tim_donna@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> Steve
>
> That's the problem I've been having, I can scan 12483 and myth cannot change
> to those channels when watching TV, error rate really high and signal quality
> low, if I change cahhenl to 12671 (sky transponder) all's OK. Myth will not
> detect TVNZ Wide even though it's there...
>
> What are your settings out of the table in mysql, if I might be so rude...

No worries:

In channel:
callsign,mplexid,serviceid
One,3,1035
2,3,1036
MaoriTV,3,1025
Bloomberg,3,1901
DW-TV,3,1902
CCTV9,3,1903
TVNZ Wide,3,1904

In dtv_multiplex:
mplexid,frequency
3,12483000
12,12456000

After I did a scan using mythtv-setup all of the channels above where
inserted into the channel table except "TVNZ Wide". But the mplexid
for all of them was set to 12. I had to manually change it to 3 (I
don't know if you'll have the same mplexids - you'll have to check
your db). "TVNZ Wide" I added manually.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
mmmm

When I look in channel ther are only listings for source 1 which is my 150MCE
card nothing from the DVB card...

Tim

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 19:10, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 8/9/06, Tim, Donna & Erin Gibson <tim_donna@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> > Steve
> >
> > That's the problem I've been having, I can scan 12483 and myth cannot
> > change to those channels when watching TV, error rate really high and
> > signal quality low, if I change cahhenl to 12671 (sky transponder) all's
> > OK. Myth will not detect TVNZ Wide even though it's there...
> >
> > What are your settings out of the table in mysql, if I might be so
> > rude...
>
> No worries:
>
> In channel:
> callsign,mplexid,serviceid
> One,3,1035
> 2,3,1036
> MaoriTV,3,1025
> Bloomberg,3,1901
> DW-TV,3,1902
> CCTV9,3,1903
> TVNZ Wide,3,1904
>
> In dtv_multiplex:
> mplexid,frequency
> 3,12483000
> 12,12456000
>
> After I did a scan using mythtv-setup all of the channels above where
> inserted into the channel table except "TVNZ Wide". But the mplexid
> for all of them was set to 12. I had to manually change it to 3 (I
> don't know if you'll have the same mplexids - you'll have to check
> your db). "TVNZ Wide" I added manually.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

Regards
Tim, Donna & Erin Gibson
ICQ - 2207616

Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
On 8/9/06, Tim, Donna & Erin Gibson <tim_donna@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> mmmm
>
> When I look in channel ther are only listings for source 1 which is my 150MCE
> card nothing from the DVB card...

Does mythtv-setup report any channels when you do a scan of 12483?

Have you got stuff in dtv_multiplex? You could create the channels
manually if you're comfortable messing with the database directly:
insert into channel (chanid, channum, sourceid, callsign, name,
mplexid, serviceid, atscsrcid)
values (5035,1,<your DVB sourceid>,'One','One',<your 12483 mplexid>,1035,0);

Use chanids that don't already exist.

Oh, and just incase: you're definitely looking at all the rows in
channel, right? I only ask because I use SQLyog under windows and it
defaults to only returning 50 rows of data...

Cheers,
Steve

Re: Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 16:52 +1200, Steve Hodge wrote:
> > Alternatively perhaps someone could figure out how to get the categories on
> > a linux box, I don't get warm fuzzies by downloading guide data from a
> > windows machine for my linux pvr.
>
> I have been messing about with tv_grab_dvb and have a version that
> gets the categories in Sky's data. But they use non-standard
> categories and also seem to be putting some ratings advisory flags in
> there (e.g. contains violence, language, etc). Sky themselves don't
> seem to use the categories in their decoders (at least I haven't found
> it in my non-MySky decoder), and their website only uses the top level
> categories. So I've got nothing to compare against. When I get this
> stuff working nicely post it to the list.

When you've got it in a functional state, post a URL or flick me a copy,
and I'll switch hairy.geek.nz's EPG feed to it.

--
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Systems Architect
Re: Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:16:03 +1200
David Zanetti wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 16:52 +1200, Steve Hodge wrote:
> > > Alternatively perhaps someone could figure out how to get the categories on
> > > a linux box, I don't get warm fuzzies by downloading guide data from a
> > > windows machine for my linux pvr.
> >
> > I have been messing about with tv_grab_dvb and have a version that
> > gets the categories in Sky's data. But they use non-standard
> > categories and also seem to be putting some ratings advisory flags in
> > there (e.g. contains violence, language, etc). Sky themselves don't
> > seem to use the categories in their decoders (at least I haven't found
> > it in my non-MySky decoder), and their website only uses the top level
> > categories. So I've got nothing to compare against. When I get this
> > stuff working nicely post it to the list.
>
> When you've got it in a functional state, post a URL or flick me a copy,
> and I'll switch hairy.geek.nz's EPG feed to it.

the lack of ongoing development of tv_grab_dvb or an equivalent in the
linux world is a real surprise to me.

I suppose mythtv does itself have EIT functionality, and VDR presumably
does too.

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
At 10:57 a.m. 10/08/2006, you wrote:
>the lack of ongoing development of tv_grab_dvb or an equivalent in the
>linux world is a real surprise to me.

What surprises me is how attached Americans are to the idea of downloading
their listings, when more than half of them are using DVB-T cards or
similar. It uses up their data cap if they're on broadband, and it ties up
the phone line if they're on dialup.

>I suppose mythtv does itself have EIT functionality, and VDR presumably
>does too.

What is VDR?

Re: Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:05:25 +1200
AlanP wrote:

> At 10:57 a.m. 10/08/2006, you wrote:
> >the lack of ongoing development of tv_grab_dvb or an equivalent in the
> >linux world is a real surprise to me.
>
> What surprises me is how attached Americans are to the idea of downloading
> their listings, when more than half of them are using DVB-T cards or
> similar. It uses up their data cap if they're on broadband, and it ties up
> the phone line if they're on dialup.

there is a really good service provided free in the US that ties in well
with mythtv - although there are some license issues if eg selling a
myth box commercially. You need an acount and a password, but they are
free. Called datadirect and/or zap2it.

> >I suppose mythtv does itself have EIT functionality, and VDR presumably
> >does too.
>
> What is VDR?

European (German) developed DVB based system with similar functionality
to mythtv. DVB is very big in Europe.

http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr/

A gentoo sub project recently started to get VDR going well in gentoo.
Also I am told that there are plugins to use non DVB cards, eg
PVR-150/250/350/500

I'd like to give it a spin sometime, more out of interest than anything.

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>