reboot.
Everything worked fine until I did an update. I have also tried
ivtv-0.46 but get the same results. Mplayer nicely shows the output
from /dev/video0, when played back through myth everything turns to
custard in full screen or windowed mode. I have looked through the
postings at ubuntu forums, some other people are having the same
problem, but answers are not forthcoming...

Any ideas appreciated

Re: Ubuntu Dapper ivtv, X server crashing [ In reply to ]
Graeme Woollett wrote:
> I'm running dapper 2.6.15-26 with nvidia driver version 8762 ivtv
> 0.44, and _any_ version of mythtv! Since updating my machine
> recently (and the kernel, recompiling ivtv drivers) whenever I try to
> watch something on the backend machine the screen goes black, no sound
> and X no longer responds to the keyboard. A reboot is the _only_ way
> to get it back. I have observed this problem on an Athlon & a Celeron
> system. Both need a reboot.
> Everything worked fine until I did an update. I have also tried
> ivtv-0.46 but get the same results. Mplayer nicely shows the output
> from /dev/video0, when played back through myth everything turns to
> custard in full screen or windowed mode. I have looked through the
> postings at ubuntu forums, some other people are having the same
> problem, but answers are not forthcoming...
1. What are you using for video output - libmpeg2/standard/XvMC?

2. Have you tried a slightly earlier NVidia driver release. Heard some
odd problems with 8762

3. Can you ssh onto the machine when the display goes?

Steve

--
Technical Support - OpenMedia Limited
email - support@openmedia.co.nz

Re: Ubuntu Dapper ivtv, X server crashing [ In reply to ]
OpenMedia Support wrote:
> Graeme Woollett wrote:
>
>> I'm running dapper 2.6.15-26 with nvidia driver version 8762 ivtv
>> 0.44, and _any_ version of mythtv! Since updating my machine
>> recently (and the kernel, recompiling ivtv drivers) whenever I try to
>> watch something on the backend machine the screen goes black, no sound
>> and X no longer responds to the keyboard. A reboot is the _only_ way
>> to get it back. I have observed this problem on an Athlon & a Celeron
>> system. Both need a reboot.
>> Everything worked fine until I did an update. I have also tried
>> ivtv-0.46 but get the same results. Mplayer nicely shows the output
>> from /dev/video0, when played back through myth everything turns to
>> custard in full screen or windowed mode. I have looked through the
>> postings at ubuntu forums, some other people are having the same
>> problem, but answers are not forthcoming...
>>
> 1. What are you using for video output - libmpeg2/standard/XvMC?

in mythtv? how do I tell?
> 2. Have you tried a slightly earlier NVidia driver release. Heard some
> odd problems with 8762

good point, it may have been 7174 that I had previously been using...
> 3. Can you ssh onto the machine when the display goes?
>
> Steve

Yes I can, xrg is using 100% CPU, but killing xorg doesn't bring the
system back.

Thanks, I'll investigate tonight

Re: Ubuntu Dapper ivtv, X server crashing [ In reply to ]
Graeme Woollett wrote:
> Yes I can, xrg is using 100% CPU, but killing xorg doesn't bring the
> system back.
Whats xrg - I can't find it on my Ubuntu box.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email - steven@openmedia.co.nz
sales - sales@openmedia.co.nz
support - support@openmedia.co.nz
website - http://www.openmedia.co.nz

Re: Ubuntu Dapper ivtv, X server crashing [ In reply to ]

Re: Ubuntu Dapper ivtv, X server crashing [ In reply to ]
Steven Ellis wrote:
> Graeme Woollett wrote:
>
>> Yes I can, xrg is using 100% CPU, but killing xorg doesn't bring the
>> system back.
>>
> Whats xrg - I can't find it on my Ubuntu box.

Sorry, Xorg, the problem now seems to be solved. I had another go at
reinstalling the nvidia binary driver
Thanks for the help.