Mailing List Archive

EPG/source questions
Hi all

Just got my DVB-S card up and going (got to love that KnoppMyth) but I also
have PVR350 recording analog (1,2,3,Prime mostly), so I have a couple of
questions:

1) How do I setup the sources/channels so that the common channels are
available on either card and are recognised as such by Myth so that it will
automatically record a program on which ever card is available (as opposed
to thinking that TVone analog is a different channel to TVone DVB-S?

2) How do I set up Myth to use the DVB-S EPG? I have ticked the
over-the-air' option for the DVB channels, but this only populates the
now/next programs at any point in time, and does nothing further ahead than
that (using 12.483 transport).

How do others have this setup?

Nick

Re: EPG/source questions [ In reply to ]
>Hi all
>

>Just got my DVB-S card up and going (got to love that KnoppMyth) but I also
>have PVR350 recording analog (1,2,3,Prime mostly), so I have a couple of
>questions:
>

>1) How do I setup the sources/channels so that the common channels are
>available on either card and are recognised as such by Myth so that it will
>automatically record a program on which ever card is available (as opposed
>to thinking that TVone analog is a different channel to TVone DVB-S?

The key thing is having the callsigns the same between the channels.
If the same program is available on two channels, and each channel
has the same callsign then it's the same program, and the scheduler
will use which ever card is available (lowest cardID first, but you
can set card priority in mythtv-setup)

>2) How do I set up Myth to use the DVB-S EPG? I have ticked the
>over-the-air' option for the DVB channels, but this only populates the
>now/next programs at any point in time, and does nothing further ahead than
>that (using 12.483 transport).

I don't use the DVB-S EPG, I use the normal EPG.
Personally I grab the xml file using a script and tv_grab_dvb (based
on the info from pvr.geek.nz). Once I've got the normal data loaded
I have a mysql script to copy the program data from the just loaded
TV One to the TV One of the DVB card (as an example) Just repeat for
each extra channel on the DVB card.

Other option is to run mythfilldatabase twice in a row to populate
the 2 different channel lineups (1 per card)

mythfilldatabase --file 1 -1 latestlistings.xml
mythfilldatabase --file 2 -1 latestlistings.xml

- Wade

Re: EPG/source questions [ In reply to ]
Thanks Wade - any chance you can email me your script for tv_grab_dvb? I tried
messing around with it a little (following pvr.geek.nz) and seemed to have
trouble accessing the DVB hardware from dvbstream - I wondered if Myth was
grabbing it and not letting go. Are you using dvbstream or dvbtune to tune the
card to the right transport? dvbstream seems like overkill, not sure why its
recommended over dvbtune. And which transport are you getting the EPG data
from? I used the 12.483 (ie which I was tuned to already in myth) and only
pulled down the data which I get in myth already (ie now/next, about 14
entries in total).

Many thanks
Nick

Re: EPG/source questions [ In reply to ]
Nick & Ann Read wrote:
> recommended over dvbtune. And which transport are you getting the EPG data
> from? I used the 12.483 (ie which I was tuned to already in myth) and only
> pulled down the data which I get in myth already (ie now/next, about 14
> entries in total).

When have you been trying this? I noticed that my STB PVR (Topfield
TF5000PVR, I think) was only getting current + next EPG data on Sunday
from one of the frequencies but the other frequency was working fine.

Re: EPG/source questions [ In reply to ]
Quoting Andrew Gordon <andmnz@gordons.gen.nz>:

> Nick & Ann Read wrote:
>> recommended over dvbtune. And which transport are you getting the EPG data
>> from? I used the 12.483 (ie which I was tuned to already in myth) and only
>> pulled down the data which I get in myth already (ie now/next, about 14
>> entries in total).
>
> When have you been trying this? I noticed that my STB PVR (Topfield
> TF5000PVR, I think) was only getting current + next EPG data on Sunday
> from one of the frequencies but the other frequency was working fine.

Yes, it was Sunday night I was trying. I did try to discover channels on
another transport so I could try getting the data from there, but ran out of
time before the evening recording schedule kicked in :-) Which freq are you
getting the full data from?

Re: EPG/source questions [ In reply to ]
Nick & Ann Read wrote:
> Thanks Wade - any chance you can email me your script for tv_grab_dvb? I
> tried
> messing around with it a little (following pvr.geek.nz) and seemed to have
> trouble accessing the DVB hardware from dvbstream - I wondered if Myth was
> grabbing it and not letting go. Are you using dvbstream or dvbtune to
> tune the
> card to the right transport? dvbstream seems like overkill, not sure why
> its
> recommended over dvbtune. And which transport are you getting the EPG data
> from? I used the 12.483 (ie which I was tuned to already in myth) and only
> pulled down the data which I get in myth already (ie now/next, about 14
> entries in total).

12456, I think. The one that is closing down this week :-) .

Re: EPG/source questions [ In reply to ]
Nick & Ann Read wrote:

> Yes, it was Sunday night I was trying. I did try to discover channels on
> another transport so I could try getting the data from there, but ran
> out of
> time before the evening recording schedule kicked in :-) Which freq are you
> getting the full data from?

Don't bother getting the data off of the other one (12456), it's about
to die, see a previous post of mine.

You could grab the data out of Sky's epg, or just wait and hope that
when TVNZ turn off 12456 they put the epg on 12483.

:D

Re: EPG/source questions [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:16:32 +1200
Nick & Ann Read wrote:

> Quoting Andrew Gordon <andmnz@gordons.gen.nz>:
>
> > Nick & Ann Read wrote:
> >> recommended over dvbtune. And which transport are you getting the EPG data
> >> from? I used the 12.483 (ie which I was tuned to already in myth) and only
> >> pulled down the data which I get in myth already (ie now/next, about 14
> >> entries in total).
> >
> > When have you been trying this? I noticed that my STB PVR (Topfield
> > TF5000PVR, I think) was only getting current + next EPG data on Sunday
> > from one of the frequencies but the other frequency was working fine.
> >

> Yes, it was Sunday night I was trying. I did try to discover channels on
> another transport so I could try getting the data from there, but ran out of
> time before the evening recording schedule kicked in :-) Which freq are you
> getting the full data from?

Sky's own epg (on my sky box) was flaky on Sunday night too. Largely
empty.

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: EPG/source questions [ In reply to ]
On Monday 24 July 2006 12:36, Nick Rout wrote:
> Sky's own epg (on my sky box) was flaky on Sunday night too. Largely
> empty.

Ours is flaky about 30-40% of the time.

hads

--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealand's VoIP supplier

Re: EPG/source questions [ In reply to ]
>Thanks Wade - any chance you can email me your script for tv_grab_dvb? I tried
>messing around with it a little (following pvr.geek.nz) and seemed to have
>trouble accessing the DVB hardware from dvbstream - I wondered if Myth was
>grabbing it and not letting go. Are you using dvbstream or dvbtune to tune the
>card to the right transport? dvbstream seems like overkill, not sure why its
>recommended over dvbtune. And which transport are you getting the EPG data
>from? I used the 12.483 (ie which I was tuned to already in myth) and only
>pulled down the data which I get in myth already (ie now/next, about 14
>entries in total).
>
>Many thanks
>Nick

My script (attached - hope the list lets it through) is the result of
trial and error many months ago. It tries opening the card and
grabbing the xml file. If the resultant xml file is less than 100
lines it's likely that the card was already in use by Myth so it just
keeps trying again. Not the smartest. Shell scripting and linux
aren't my forte but it's been working for me for the last 6 or so
months. 8)

I've been using the 12456 transponder, I don't know what will happen
later this week though. I tried the 12483 transponder with my script
a few moments ago, and only got the current and next programs for 6
or so channels, so pretty much the same results as you.

I think I'll sit tight for a couple of days, keep using 12456 and see
what happens...

- Wade
Re: EPG/source questions [ In reply to ]
>>Thanks Wade - any chance you can email me your script for
>>tv_grab_dvb? I tried
>>messing around with it a little (following pvr.geek.nz) and seemed to have
>>trouble accessing the DVB hardware from dvbstream - I wondered if Myth was
>>grabbing it and not letting go. Are you using dvbstream or dvbtune
>>to tune the
>>card to the right transport? dvbstream seems like overkill, not sure why its
>>recommended over dvbtune. And which transport are you getting the EPG data
>>from? I used the 12.483 (ie which I was tuned to already in myth) and only
>>pulled down the data which I get in myth already (ie now/next, about 14
>>entries in total).
>>
>>Many thanks
>>Nick
>>

>My script (attached - hope the list lets it through) is the result
>of trial and error many months ago. It tries opening the card and
>grabbing the xml file. If the resultant xml file is less than 100
>lines it's likely that the card was already in use by Myth so it
>just keeps trying again. Not the smartest. Shell scripting and
>linux aren't my forte but it's been working for me for the last 6 or
>so months. 8)
>
>I've been using the 12456 transponder, I don't know what will happen
>later this week though. I tried the 12483 transponder with my
>script a few moments ago, and only got the current and next programs
>for 6 or so channels, so pretty much the same results as you.
>
>I think I'll sit tight for a couple of days, keep using 12456 and
>see what happens...
>
> - Wade

Well, after Drews' post, I've tried using 12519 (one of Sky's
frequencies according to http://www.lyngsat.com/optusb1.html) and
that produced a pretty complete appearing file. So if you change the
-f 1156 to -f 1219 in my script (occurs in 2 places) you should be
set.

- Wade

Re: EPG/source questions [ In reply to ]
On 7/24/06, Wade Maxfield <mythtvnz@hotblack.co.nz> wrote:
> >1) How do I setup the sources/channels so that the common channels are
> >available on either card and are recognised as such by Myth so that it will
> >automatically record a program on which ever card is available (as opposed
> >to thinking that TVone analog is a different channel to TVone DVB-S?
>
> The key thing is having the callsigns the same between the channels.
> If the same program is available on two channels, and each channel
> has the same callsign then it's the same program, and the scheduler
> will use which ever card is available (lowest cardID first, but you
> can set card priority in mythtv-setup)

You probably want to make sure they have the same channel numbers as
well so that those channels only show up once in the MythTV EPG.

> I don't use the DVB-S EPG, I use the normal EPG.
> Personally I grab the xml file using a script and tv_grab_dvb (based
> on the info from pvr.geek.nz).

That is the DVB-S EPG. I think you mean you don't use MythTV's EIT stuff.

> Other option is to run mythfilldatabase twice in a row to populate
> the 2 different channel lineups (1 per card)
>
> mythfilldatabase --file 1 -1 latestlistings.xml
> mythfilldatabase --file 2 -1 latestlistings.xml

That's what I do, using the EPG data from one of the Sky transponders.

One trap for the unwary: be careful using a mixture of EPG data loaded
by mythfulldatabase and by MythTV's builtin EIT scanner. I've found
that TVNZ's EPG data is sometimes slightly different from Sky's EPG
data for the TVNZ channels. If a channel has one source of data on one
tuner and a different source of data on a different tuner MythTV might
not be able to schedule a particular show on a particular tuner
(because the name in the recording schedule is different to the name
in the EPG data for that tuner). I noticed this a lot during the
Winter Olympics. Now I just use Sky's data for all channels.

Steve

Re: EPG/source questions [ In reply to ]
On 7/24/06, Nick & Ann Read <nick.read@engineer.com> wrote:
> Thanks Wade - any chance you can email me your script for tv_grab_dvb? I tried
> messing around with it a little (following pvr.geek.nz) and seemed to have
> trouble accessing the DVB hardware from dvbstream - I wondered if Myth was
> grabbing it and not letting go.

From memory there is a setting in mythtv-setup that controls whether a
DVB card is locked all the time or just when it's in use. You might
want to check that.

Steve