Mailing List Archive

Hardware build, compatibility questions
I'm (finally) going to order the remaining components for my Mythbox. The
150 is here, the 2xSkystar2 shouldn't be too far away (Nick Read is a
generous, good man), and I only have a few remaining quibbles.

My current build plan is as follows :-

Motherboard - Asrock 775V88+ - $114
A nice, ol' fashioned mobo with gazillions of PCI slots and an AGP
slot that will still support not-too-old CPUs.

GFX -- Gigabyte FX5200 - $87
It'll dissuade my family from trying to play UT2k4 on it, and it
does TV out. Combine that with $80-$90, and I'm convinced.

TwinMOS 512MB DDR400 - $97
One stick for $97? I can remember when it cost $100+ for 1MB, in
four sticks!

Intel Celeron D 331 - $115
Nice 'n cheap. I don't plan on transcoding, and I'll be using
PVR150s (hardware MPEG2) and Skystar2s (I'm willing to assume hardware
MPEG2 on these, considering Technisat pimp them as TV cards.)

Seagate 300G - $216
The only major spendy item. I don't want a Maxtor that will die
right after recording Something Important, and I don't want a TinyDrive
that will store two shows before choking.

LiteOn DVDRW - about $100
I'll mainly use it for reading audio CDs and movie DVDs, but once
I figure out how to make creating DVDs of recorded content easier for my
non-linux-knowing family, it'll burn stuff too.

Things I already have :-

PVR150MCE
Case and PSU (3R brand, might replace these in future)
IBM keyb (not a good one, but meh) and Genius mouse
display for installation and testing :-)
Tentative 2xSkystar2

My major question is hardware compatibility. Will Debian play nice with the
Asrock, and will the SATA-2 hdd be readable?

The AtomicTV CD (custom KnoppMyth magazine coverCD that doesn't recognise
my damn PVR150MCE, no ivtv) doesn't recognise my SATA storage drive either,
so I think this is a valid question. Last time I installed Linux, it was to
my P-90 Toshiba which has oldfashioned IDE and a very oldfashioned chipset.

Another minor question is whether I can do better in terms of
performance-cost optimisation.

--
Alan Podjursky ICQ 24423014
"Yay, evil evil! Happy torture!" -- Gwyneth

Re: Hardware build, compatibility questions [ In reply to ]
On 7/17/06, AlanP <alan.p@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> GFX -- Gigabyte FX5200 - $87

I've had a couple of these and they are great for MythTV.

> I'll be using PVR150s (hardware MPEG2) and Skystar2s (I'm willing to assume
> hardware MPEG2 on these, considering Technisat pimp them as TV cards.)

DVB cards don't have an mpeg encoder - but the broadcast stream itself
is mpeg encoded and they just dump that to disk. So you don't need
much CPU for these cards. Note, however, that MythTV no longer
supports writing PS (program stream) mpeg files from DVB cards, only
TS (transport stream). That means you can't just write the files to
DVD (as you can with the PVR150s if they are set to output PS), you
have remux them first.

> Seagate 300G - $216

I just bought a Seagate ST3320620AS SATAII 320GB 16MB for $190 from
ExtremePC (http://www.extremepc.co.nz/product_info.php?cPath=120_122&products_id=893&osCsid=7e9b82970f9f3944d2cff651f5ef0723).
It's in my Windows desktop, but I moved the old 160GB ST3160827AS to
my MythTV machine without any problems. The motherboard doesn't have
SATA, but I got a $50 DSE XH8269 SATA/PATA RAID card which works fine
under Linux (the RAID capabilities probably wouldn't work - I haven't
tried them).

> My major question is hardware compatibility. Will Debian play nice with the
> Asrock, and will the SATA-2 hdd be readable?

Just make sure the SATA controller on the motherboard is supported (it
probably is). SATA-2 drives are backwards compatible with SATA-1.
Might be worth checking that the sound chip is also support though I'd
be very suprised if that's a problem.

Steve

Re: Hardware build, compatibility questions [ In reply to ]
> My major question is hardware compatibility. Will Debian play nice with the
> Asrock, and will the SATA-2 hdd be readable?

Some SATA-1 controllers require that you jumper the SATA-2 drive for
backwards compatibility (like setting master/slave on IDE drives). I
found that with KT800 boards.

Sam.