Mailing List Archive

PVR-150 - missing audio 1 time in 10?
I recently upgraded to 0.19 knoppmyth - via complete rebuild, and added a PVR150 -replacing my
BT878 card. Im having problems with the PVR150 not always recording audio.

Stopping a recording, then REACTIVATING it will continue the recording - with sound. This is fine
unless watching previously recorded programs!!!

Subsequent recordings on the same channel are more likely to miss the soundtrack ??!

No mods to knoppmyth - just kept it "out of the box" to reduce chance of my fiddles affecting it.

Im thinking this card needs to go back as it seems to me this is an intermittant hardware problem.

your thoughts please.

lspci -
0000:01:08.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16 (CX23416) MPEG-2
Encoder (rev 01)

Thanks

Re: PVR-150 - missing audio 1 time in 10? [ In reply to ]
My PVR150 works flawlessly... so your suspicions may be correct, faulty
hardware!?

paul arthur wrote:
> I recently upgraded to 0.19 knoppmyth - via complete rebuild, and added a PVR150 -replacing my
> BT878 card. Im having problems with the PVR150 not always recording audio.
>
> Stopping a recording, then REACTIVATING it will continue the recording - with sound. This is fine
> unless watching previously recorded programs!!!
>
> Subsequent recordings on the same channel are more likely to miss the soundtrack ??!
>
> No mods to knoppmyth - just kept it "out of the box" to reduce chance of my fiddles affecting it.
>
> Im thinking this card needs to go back as it seems to me this is an intermittant hardware problem.
>
> your thoughts please.
>
> lspci -
> 0000:01:08.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16 (CX23416) MPEG-2
> Encoder (rev 01)
>
> Thanks

"While I thought that I was learning to live,
I have been learning how to die."

Leonardo DaVinci

Re: PVR-150 - missing audio 1 time in 10? [ In reply to ]
What version of ivtv are you using?
Does the PVR-150 work OK every time with mplayer? ie mplayer /dev/video0
A post containing a dump of details from dmesg (the ivtv part) would
also helpful for others to help you :-)

RE: PVR-150 - missing audio 1 time in 10? [ In reply to ]
Hi Paul

Have you instlled the new version of knoppmyth R5C7, it has some IVTV fixes
in it.
I installed a PVR150 a few weeks ago on R5C6 and couldn't get the PVR150 to
work at all with the stock standard ivtv.

I ended up downloading and compiling a new ivtv using a combination of the
instructions here:
http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=HauppaugeOneFiftyInstallation
and here:
http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=CompileIvtv

Regards
Toby Mills
www.np.co.nz

Re: PVR-150 - missing audio 1 time in 10? [ In reply to ]
> I recently upgraded to 0.19 knoppmyth - via complete rebuild, and added
a PVR150 -replacing my
> BT878 card. Im having problems with the PVR150 not always recording audio.
>
> Stopping a recording, then REACTIVATING it will continue the recording -
with sound. This is fine
> unless watching previously recorded programs!!!
>
> Subsequent recordings on the same channel are more likely to miss the
soundtrack ??!

> No mods to knoppmyth - just kept it "out of the box" to reduce chance of
my fiddles affecting it.

> Im thinking this card needs to go back as it seems to me this is an
intermittant hardware problem.

> your thoughts please.

1 Check your firmware versions

2. How good is your TV signal

3. Check you have the correct IVTV options. Some cards will work with two
different tuner types which confuses things.

The main reason for your issue is the audio driver getting confused about
which NICAM carrier we have in NZ. If the Nicam carrier is a little low in
your area can you disable it to only get mono audio?

Which build of Knoppmyth have you gone for R5B7 or R5C7?

Steve

Re: PVR-150 - missing audio 1 time in 10? [ In reply to ]
Thanks all

Version of IVTV - 0.4.3, so im guessing i installed R5B7 - (19.1). The sound is failing a bit more
often now - but consistently on the 2nd recording in a row - ie
DesparateHousewives(sound)-->GreysA(nosound). Wife not impressed.

TV aeriel/signal has always been good - Clarks beach is not too far from the Waitak repeater. I
removed extra cabling, but this made no improvement.

I'll upgrade to R5C7 with the IVTV 0.4.4 drivers and see how that goes, hopefully no
recompile/upgrade required from there.

Had a look at options for mono to resolve any NICAM issues - cant see them, again hopefully the
upgrade will change the requirement.

thanks again.
Paul.

> 1 Check your firmware versions
>
> 2. How good is your TV signal
>
> 3. Check you have the correct IVTV options. Some cards will work with two
> different tuner types which confuses things.
>
> The main reason for your issue is the audio driver getting confused about
> which NICAM carrier we have in NZ. If the Nicam carrier is a little low in
> your area can you disable it to only get mono audio?
>
> Which build of Knoppmyth have you gone for R5B7 or R5C7?
>
> Steve

Paul Arthur and Cathy Windsor
New Zealand

Re: PVR-150 - missing audio 1 time in 10? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 22:03:56 -0700 (PDT)
paul arthur <paul_arthur@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks all
>
> Version of IVTV - 0.4.3, so im guessing i installed R5B7 - (19.1). The sound is failing a bit more
> often now - but consistently on the 2nd recording in a row - ie
> DesparateHousewives(sound)-->GreysA(nosound). Wife not impressed.
>
> TV aeriel/signal has always been good - Clarks beach is not too far from the Waitak repeater. I
> removed extra cabling, but this made no improvement.
>
> I'll upgrade to R5C7 with the IVTV 0.4.4 drivers and see how that goes, hopefully no
> recompile/upgrade required from there.
>
> Had a look at options for mono to resolve any NICAM issues - cant see them, again hopefully the
> upgrade will change the requirement.
>
> thanks again.
> Paul.

ivtv moves fast. 0.70 has been released (although it is only for kernel 2.6.17) for earlier kernels 0.4.6 is available. See here for full details of release numbers:

http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Main_Page

Re: PVR-150 - missing audio 1 time in 10? [ In reply to ]
Steve - spot on - you've covered some ground !

root@moonmyth:~# ivtvctl --log-status
ioctl VIDIOC_LOG_STATUS ok
ivtv0: ================= START STATUS CARD #0 =================
cx25840 2-0044: Video signal: present
cx25840 2-0044: Detected format: PAL-BDGHI
cx25840 2-0044: Detected audio mode: mono <<<<<< THIS IS THE PROBLEM !!
cx25840 2-0044: Detected audio standard: NICAM-BG
cx25840 2-0044: Audio muted: no
cx25840 2-0044: Audio microcontroller: running
cx25840 2-0044: Configured audio standard: automatic detection
cx25840 2-0044: Configured audio system: automatic standard and mode detection
cx25840 2-0044: Specified standard: PAL-BDGHI
cx25840 2-0044: Specified input: Tuner
cx25840 2-0044: Specified audio input: Tuner
cx25840 2-0044: Specified audioclock freq: 48 kHz
cx25840 2-0044: Preferred audio mode: stereo
cx25840 2-0044: Selected 65 MHz format: autodetect
cx25840 2-0044: Selected 45 MHz format: chroma
wm8775 2-001b: Input: default
tda9887 2-0043: Data bytes: b=14 c=70 e=09
ivtv0: ================== END STATUS CARD #0 ==================

i upgraded the ivtv drivers from 0.4.3 to 0.4.5 to 0.4.6, same problem. I stayed with R5B7.

i found reference to this problem http://ivtvdriver.org/trac/ticket/79 but no follow up - i've
posted to the author...

incidentally, the VIDEO picture is much sharper/smoother/better on .45 & .46, sound is now failing
more often ;)

the Aerial is good - no probs with sound on my NICAM VCR or with my mono BT878 card, cabling is
short and simple between aerial and PVR. Picture is strong and clear, no static, we also get C4,
Triangle (weakly - no uhf elements), juice, maori (good programming).

so good people - your opinions poleaze

* return the PVR150 under warrantee - replace it with another version (i'll check their support
for linux)
* Buy new Aerial
* Get a magic signal booster thingy from Dick Smith - Do they work?
* Revert to my mono BT878 and shelve the PVR as a bad investment ??

thanks,Paul.

Re: PVR-150 - missing audio 1 time in 10? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 18:38:29 -0700 (PDT)
paul arthur <paul_arthur@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Steve - spot on - you've covered some ground !
>

> root@moonmyth:~# ivtvctl --log-status
> ioctl VIDIOC_LOG_STATUS ok
> ivtv0: ================= START STATUS CARD #0 =================
> cx25840 2-0044: Video signal: present
> cx25840 2-0044: Detected format: PAL-BDGHI
> cx25840 2-0044: Detected audio mode: mono <<<<<< THIS IS THE PROBLEM !!
> cx25840 2-0044: Detected audio standard: NICAM-BG
> cx25840 2-0044: Audio muted: no
> cx25840 2-0044: Audio microcontroller: running
> cx25840 2-0044: Configured audio standard: automatic detection
> cx25840 2-0044: Configured audio system: automatic standard and mode detection
> cx25840 2-0044: Specified standard: PAL-BDGHI
> cx25840 2-0044: Specified input: Tuner
> cx25840 2-0044: Specified audio input: Tuner
> cx25840 2-0044: Specified audioclock freq: 48 kHz
> cx25840 2-0044: Preferred audio mode: stereo
> cx25840 2-0044: Selected 65 MHz format: autodetect
> cx25840 2-0044: Selected 45 MHz format: chroma
> wm8775 2-001b: Input: default
> tda9887 2-0043: Data bytes: b=14 c=70 e=09
> ivtv0: ================== END STATUS CARD #0 ==================
>

> i upgraded the ivtv drivers from 0.4.3 to 0.4.5 to 0.4.6, same problem. I stayed with R5B7.
>
> i found reference to this problem http://ivtvdriver.org/trac/ticket/79 but no follow up - i've
> posted to the author...
>
> incidentally, the VIDEO picture is much sharper/smoother/better on .45 & .46, sound is now failing
> more often ;)
>
> the Aerial is good - no probs with sound on my NICAM VCR or with my mono BT878 card, cabling is
> short and simple between aerial and PVR. Picture is strong and clear, no static, we also get C4,
> Triangle (weakly - no uhf elements), juice, maori (good programming).
>
> so good people - your opinions poleaze
>
> * return the PVR150 under warrantee - replace it with another version (i'll check their support
> for linux)
> * Buy new Aerial
> * Get a magic signal booster thingy from Dick Smith - Do they work?
> * Revert to my mono BT878 and shelve the PVR as a bad investment ??
>
> thanks,Paul.

I have been follwing a thread about audio problems with the pvr-150. It is not the same problem as you, but it led me to play around with mine a bit. I have found that using ivtvctl -q X where X is the audio input you want can often work wonders. I think for the tuner X is 0, but you can check with ivtvctl -q 0 when sound is not working.

Hacks I have seen to do this automagically:

1. put it in a cron job every minute

2. include ivtvctl -q0 into a custom channel change script so it gets executed every time a channel is chosen.

May be worth a try.