"Yay, evil evil! Happy torture!" -- Gwyneth
"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson
http://www.fanfiction.net/~mercva

Re: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
> There are a lot of hits when I google for "dvb-s buy site:nz", but none I
> recognise and therefore trust enough to send money to.
>
> My question is, therefore, what options are there for linux and myth
> compatible DVB-S PCI cards within NZ? Or is someone willing to organise a
> group buy of Technisat cards? (I lack a credit card, which is why I can't
> myself. Direct credit only seems to work within NZ.)

We are hoping to carry a range of DVB-S cards for the local market once we
have the technical details on the FreeView platform.

Steve
Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
Alan, I'm keen to buy a DVB-S or -T card from dvbshop sometime soon if you
want to combine postage (split the $70 cost). I've got a credit card :-)
Anyone else?

Steve, when do you anticipate having stock? Is there really anything to
confirm technically? I'm just assuming standard DVB-S and DVB-T will work ok,
based on current test transmissions.

Nick

228 Upper Harbour Drive, Greenhithe, North Shore City 0632, NZ
Tel: +64 9 413 6449 (h)
Email: nick.read@engineer.com
Skype: nicholasread

Re: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
I took part in a group buy of DVB-S cards a while ago from dvbshop in
germany.

It was this one

http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info.php/info/p12_Technisat-Skystar2-2-6D-incl--remotecontrol.html

I cannot tell you whether it works as *cough* I haven't had the time to
install it yet.

howard at fox.co.nz did the actual buying. the end cost was $109 each,
partly because we got pinged for customs (GST) as there were 6 of them.

I expect the card to work and am loking forward to the new era of
digital tv in nz. I REALLY look forward to telling sky to stick it! (but
thanks for the aerial, if they wanna climb on my roof to get it good
on them, braver than me!)

Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
On 6/28/06, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
> I took part in a group buy of DVB-S cards a while ago from dvbshop in
> germany.
>
> It was this one
>
> http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info.php/info/p12_Technisat-Skystar2-2-6D-incl--remotecontrol.html
>
> I cannot tell you whether it works as *cough* I haven't had the time to
> install it yet.

That's the one I've got. It works perfectly with TVNZ's test
transmissions on Optus B1. I've got it set as the highest priority for
One and 2 as the quality is much better than what comes out of my Sky
decoder.

Steve

Re: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:14:24 +1200
Steve Hodge wrote:

> On 6/28/06, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
> > I took part in a group buy of DVB-S cards a while ago from dvbshop in
> > germany.
> >
> > It was this one
> >
> > http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info.php/info/p12_Technisat-Skystar2-2-6D-incl--remotecontrol.html
> >
> > I cannot tell you whether it works as *cough* I haven't had the time to
> > install it yet.
>
> That's the one I've got. It works perfectly with TVNZ's test
> transmissions on Optus B1. I've got it set as the highest priority for
> One and 2 as the quality is much better than what comes out of my Sky
> decoder.

So it should as your sky decoder has to turn it into analogue and then
your pvr or whatever is redigitising it.

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
On 6/28/06, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
> Steve Hodge wrote:
> > That's the one I've got. It works perfectly with TVNZ's test
> > transmissions on Optus B1. I've got it set as the highest priority for
> > One and 2 as the quality is much better than what comes out of my Sky
> > decoder.
>
> So it should as your sky decoder has to turn it into analogue and then
> your pvr or whatever is redigitising it.

Yup. My point is that TVNZ's "test" signal has been completely
reliable for the 9+ months I've been using it.

Steve

Re: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 15:06:49 +1200
Steve Hodge wrote:

> On 6/28/06, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
> > Steve Hodge wrote:
> > > That's the one I've got. It works perfectly with TVNZ's test
> > > transmissions on Optus B1. I've got it set as the highest priority for
> > > One and 2 as the quality is much better than what comes out of my Sky
> > > decoder.
> >
> > So it should as your sky decoder has to turn it into analogue and then
> > your pvr or whatever is redigitising it.
>
> Yup. My point is that TVNZ's "test" signal has been completely
> reliable for the 9+ months I've been using it.

I thought that the signal was not so much a test as the fact that Sky
doesn't encrypt TV1/2, ie aren't you watching the same signal as
watching TV1/2 through the sky box?

Or are you?

Confused of Lyttelton!

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 15:22 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 15:06:49 +1200
> Steve Hodge wrote:
> > Yup. My point is that TVNZ's "test" signal has been completely
> > reliable for the 9+ months I've been using it.
> >

> I thought that the signal was not so much a test as the fact that Sky
> doesn't encrypt TV1/2, ie aren't you watching the same signal as
> watching TV1/2 through the sky box?
>
> Or are you?

There's several different copies of TVNZ channels on B1.

12.456 seems to be Sky uplinking TVNZ content but only some regions. It
has a Sky PVR PID on it, which suggests Sky are doing it.

12.483 is TVNZ's own test transponder. It has all the regions (or did
until TV1 AKL disappeared in favour of Bloomberg) and some other FTA
content which is just relayed. TVNZ's test wide channel is there.

12.671 also a Sky transponder, has TV 1 and 2. IIRC, these are the
Auckland region.

All of this TVNZ content is unencrypted. There's a bit of other
unencrypted content beyond this, mostly radio stations.

I've been using 12.483 for recording for a while, but it probably
doesn't matter what you use. The Sky boxes (AFAIK) don't use 12.483..
I've actually had situations where my Sky box couldn't get TV1, but my
PVR on the TVNZ transpoder could, so it tends to suggest where they are
getting it from.

--
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Team Leader, Systems Administration
Re: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
>On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 15:06:49 +1200
>Steve Hodge wrote:

>> > So it should as your sky decoder has to turn it into analogue and then
>> > your pvr or whatever is redigitising it.
>>
>> Yup. My point is that TVNZ's "test" signal has been completely
>> reliable for the 9+ months I've been using it.
>>

>I thought that the signal was not so much a test as the fact that Sky
>doesn't encrypt TV1/2, ie aren't you watching the same signal as
>watching TV1/2 through the sky box?
>
>Or are you?
>
>Confused of Lyttelton!
>
>--
>Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

I don't know about sky encoding/not encoding, but there are 3
different One's and a couple of TV2's you can pick up via Optus B1.
I think they are regionalised versions.

I've got this card as well, and have set it's priority so it's
responsible for recording One and TV2.
- Wade

Re: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 15:35:49 +1200
David Zanetti wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 15:22 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 15:06:49 +1200
> > Steve Hodge wrote:
> > > Yup. My point is that TVNZ's "test" signal has been completely
> > > reliable for the 9+ months I've been using it.
> > >

> > I thought that the signal was not so much a test as the fact that Sky
> > doesn't encrypt TV1/2, ie aren't you watching the same signal as
> > watching TV1/2 through the sky box?
> >
> > Or are you?
>
> There's several different copies of TVNZ channels on B1.
>
> 12.456 seems to be Sky uplinking TVNZ content but only some regions. It
> has a Sky PVR PID on it, which suggests Sky are doing it.
>
> 12.483 is TVNZ's own test transponder. It has all the regions (or did
> until TV1 AKL disappeared in favour of Bloomberg) and some other FTA
> content which is just relayed. TVNZ's test wide channel is there.
>
> 12.671 also a Sky transponder, has TV 1 and 2. IIRC, these are the
> Auckland region.
>
> All of this TVNZ content is unencrypted. There's a bit of other
> unencrypted content beyond this, mostly radio stations.
>
> I've been using 12.483 for recording for a while, but it probably
> doesn't matter what you use. The Sky boxes (AFAIK) don't use 12.483..
> I've actually had situations where my Sky box couldn't get TV1, but my
> PVR on the TVNZ transpoder could, so it tends to suggest where they are
> getting it from.

Excellently clarified, thanks David.

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
Ditto that

I also participated in the last purchase and have used the card for maybe just
over a month...

TV1, 2 priority to record and others when I see something interesting. The
only problems are that there's no guide data for say CCTV, DWTV, NASA or
Bloomberg but TVNZ are OK so long as they don't have say "Lost" one week
then "Lost episode" the next as MythTV won't automatically record it.

Oh and MythTV DiSEqC switching does not work but does from the command line...

Regards
Tim

On Wednesday 28 June 2006 14:14, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 6/28/06, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
> > I took part in a group buy of DVB-S cards a while ago from dvbshop in
> > germany.
> >
> > It was this one
> >
> > http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info.php/info/p12_Technisat-Skystar2-2-6D-
> >incl--remotecontrol.html
> >
> > I cannot tell you whether it works as *cough* I haven't had the time to
> > install it yet.
>
> That's the one I've got. It works perfectly with TVNZ's test
> transmissions on Optus B1. I've got it set as the highest priority for
> One and 2 as the quality is much better than what comes out of my Sky
> decoder.
>
> Steve

Regards
Tim, Donna & Erin Gibson
ICQ - 2207616

Re: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
On 6/28/06, Tim, Donna & Erin Gibson <tim_donna@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> TV1, 2 priority to record and others when I see something interesting. The
> only problems are that there's no guide data for say CCTV, DWTV, NASA or
> Bloomberg

Speaking of NASA TV, the shuttle launch should happen at about 7:45 am
on July 2nd, if I've done my timezone calculations correctly.

Steve

Re: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
Yep, I get the same time for liftoff 7.49 and oooooddddles of coverage before
and after...

here's the schedule;

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/151028main_121TVSked.pdf

Regards
Tim

On Wednesday 28 June 2006 18:54, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 6/28/06, Tim, Donna & Erin Gibson <tim_donna@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> > TV1, 2 priority to record and others when I see something interesting.
> > The only problems are that there's no guide data for say CCTV, DWTV, NASA
> > or Bloomberg
>
> Speaking of NASA TV, the shuttle launch should happen at about 7:45 am
> on July 2nd, if I've done my timezone calculations correctly.
>
> Steve

Regards
Tim, Donna & Erin Gibson
ICQ - 2207616

Re: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
Tim, Donna & Erin Gibson wrote:
...TVNZ are OK so long as they don't have say "Lost" one week
> then "Lost episode" the next as MythTV won't automatically record it.

Yes, thats damned annoying. I remember seeing a shell script someone had
written once to do a SQL select for "Lost*" from the upcoming programmes
tables and add a scheduled recording for that, but of course it would
match "Lost in Space" and "Lost Samurai" etc.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/
http://www.avonside.school.nz/

Re: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
On 6/28/06, Criggie <criggie@criggie.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Tim, Donna & Erin Gibson wrote:
> ...TVNZ are OK so long as they don't have say "Lost" one week
> > then "Lost episode" the next as MythTV won't automatically record it.
>
> Yes, thats damned annoying. I remember seeing a shell script someone had
> written once to do a SQL select for "Lost*" from the upcoming programmes
> tables and add a scheduled recording for that, but of course it would
> match "Lost in Space" and "Lost Samurai" etc.

You should be able to do that with Myth's power search - don't ask me
how though!

Steve

Re: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 21:11:23 +1200
"Steve Hodge" <stevehodge@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/28/06, Criggie <criggie@criggie.dyndns.org> wrote:
> > Tim, Donna & Erin Gibson wrote:
> > ...TVNZ are OK so long as they don't have say "Lost" one week
> > > then "Lost episode" the next as MythTV won't automatically record it.
> >
> > Yes, thats damned annoying. I remember seeing a shell script someone had
> > written once to do a SQL select for "Lost*" from the upcoming programmes
> > tables and add a scheduled recording for that, but of course it would
> > match "Lost in Space" and "Lost Samurai" etc.
>
> You should be able to do that with Myth's power search - don't ask me
> how though!
>
> Steve

And if you miss recording Lost, be assured that almost everyone who has a bittorrent client has a version of the one you missed!

Re: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
> And if you miss recording Lost, be assured that almost everyone who has a bittorrent client has a version of the one you missed!
And had it 6 months ago...

To stay roughly on topic, I found out the other day that MythVideo can
be made to read directly from the file system, rather than you having to
refresh the videos database every time you use it. I can't believe I
never found this before - it was just a tick box in the setup. It is
still suboptimal (it takes about 20 sec to scan my entire video
directory when I load it; why can't it do each path as you go into it?),
but it's better than having to go all the way out into the setup menu.

We found this while looking through the source for potential ways to
make it work in a notified update nature. Hopefully I can convince the
programming type flatmates to do more in this regard!

Craig

Re: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:47:06 +1200
Craig Box <craig@dubculture.co.nz> wrote:

> > And if you miss recording Lost, be assured that almost everyone who has a bittorrent client has a version of the one you missed!
> And had it 6 months ago...
>
> To stay roughly on topic, I found out the other day that MythVideo can
> be made to read directly from the file system, rather than you having to
> refresh the videos database every time you use it. I can't believe I
> never found this before

perhaps because it ins new in 0.19 so hasn't been there to notice for that long.

> - it was just a tick box in the setup. It is
> still suboptimal (it takes about 20 sec to scan my entire video
> directory when I load it;

Mine takes much longer, but then again it is looking at roughly 400G of files, 300G of which is mounted over cifs to the bittorrent/storage machine.

>why can't it do each path as you go into it?),
> but it's better than having to go all the way out into the setup menu.

One thing to note is that the video portion of mythweb uses the database so if you want that working you have to update the database from time to time. I'd like to know the command line to update the mythweb database, and then I could cron it.

Re: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
Nick & Ann Read wrote:

>Alan, I'm keen to buy a DVB-S or -T card from dvbshop sometime soon if you
>want to combine postage (split the $70 cost). I've got a credit card :-)
>Anyone else?
>
>Steve, when do you anticipate having stock? Is there really anything to
>confirm technically? I'm just assuming standard DVB-S and DVB-T will work ok,
>based on current test transmissions.

Ah now here is the interesting one. There is a chance we might need
DVB-S2 cards rather than straight DVB-S for Optus D1. It depends. I
heard that some channels in Europe you can only get with DVB-S2.

With terrestial most DVB-T cards should be OK as the existing DVB-T
cards in the UK work with both the current Freeview feeds and the new
H264 test feeds. I know my DVB-T unit works really well with the current
test transmissions.

Thankfully they haven't suggested a CAM for the DVB-S transmissions
which simplifies the cards quite a lot.

As to price, I doubt I can beat a big joint order at the moment. Local
suppliers cost price to me is well over NZ$100 ex GST. Going direct to
the manufacturer is Ok if I have sufficient orders.

Steve

--
Technical Support - OpenMedia Limited
email - support@openmedia.co.nz

Re: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
On 6/29/06, OpenMedia Support <support@openmedia.co.nz> wrote:
> Ah now here is the interesting one. There is a chance we might need
> DVB-S2 cards rather than straight DVB-S for Optus D1. It depends. I
> heard that some channels in Europe you can only get with DVB-S2.

Would that be just because of how FreeView transmits or would it be
due to the satellite itself? Because if it were the later it would
imply that new Sky decoders would be required for all subscribers,
right?

Steve

Re: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 20:31 +1200, Criggie wrote:

> Yes, thats damned annoying. I remember seeing a shell script someone had
> written once to do a SQL select for "Lost*" from the upcoming programmes
> tables and add a scheduled recording for that, but of course it would
> match "Lost in Space" and "Lost Samurai" etc.

I have a little parser for the XML feed I use that converts all the
mispellings I know/care about to the correct form. That way my
schedules just work.

Since I'm hopefully going to be able to switch over to using the EIT
scanner in the near future I'll have to modify it to hack the database
directly...

Cheers!

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
At home: andrew@etc.gen.nz | This space intentionally

Re: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
> On 6/29/06, OpenMedia Support <support@openmedia.co.nz> wrote:
>> Ah now here is the interesting one. There is a chance we might need
>> DVB-S2 cards rather than straight DVB-S for Optus D1. It depends. I
>> heard that some channels in Europe you can only get with DVB-S2.
>
> Would that be just because of how FreeView transmits or would it be
> due to the satellite itself? Because if it were the later it would
> imply that new Sky decoders would be required for all subscribers,
> right?

Appears that it can be enabled on a per-transponder basis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-S2

Optus D1 should be capable of this, the only question is will they turn
it on for SDTV or hold off for HDTV.

Steve

--
Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited

Re: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
On 6/29/06, Open Media Support <support@openmedia.co.nz> wrote:
> Appears that it can be enabled on a per-transponder basis
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-S2
>
> Optus D1 should be capable of this, the only question is will they turn
> it on for SDTV or hold off for HDTV.

I would guess that if it means more expensive STBs they'll hold off.
But we'll have to wait and see.

Steve

RE: Sourcing DVB-S cards [ In reply to ]
Let me know when you're about to do this, as I will be moving out of
TelstraClear's network coverage area soon and will be getting Sky, so will
be able to take advantage of the satellite!