Mailing List Archive

Recording from video tape
Hey all. I've got a couple of VHS video tapes to duplicate.

I figured that recording them to the mythbox would give me a copy with all
the advantages of an on-disk recording with none of the wear problems
associated with tape.

So I changed the input of one of my tuner cards to Composite, opened it
with LiveTV, hit play on the VCR and pressed R on the frontend which
worked okay.

However I realised that as soon as the timeslot for the current programme
on that channel was over, the recording would stop. It has also been
added to my Media Library as "vodafone select" from C4.

How else could I have done this better?

This post suggests creating another channel with no EPG info and using
that, which seems to be a better idea.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/44727?do=post_view_flat

Any other comments?

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/
http://www.avonside.school.nz/

Re: Recording from video tape [ In reply to ]
On 6/25/06, Criggie <criggie@criggie.dyndns.org> wrote:
> How else could I have done this better?
>
> This post suggests creating another channel with no EPG info and using
> that, which seems to be a better idea.
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/44727?do=post_view_flat
>
> Any other comments?

The most common suggestion on the mail lists seems to be to not use
Myth for this sort of thing. I've got a few videos to transfer myself
so let me know if you find anything better.

Steve

Re: Recording from video tape [ In reply to ]
Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 6/25/06, Criggie <criggie@criggie.dyndns.org> wrote:
>> How else could I have done this better?
>>
>> This post suggests creating another channel with no EPG info and using
>> that, which seems to be a better idea.
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/44727?do=post_view_flat

> The most common suggestion on the mail lists seems to be to not use
> Myth for this sort of thing. I've got a few videos to transfer myself
> so let me know if you find anything better.

Well my two tuner cards are in the mythbackend, and I'm not going to buy
another one for a relatively uncommon task like this.

And it appears to have worked perfectly so far.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/
http://www.avonside.school.nz/

Re: Recording from video tape [ In reply to ]
On 6/25/06, Criggie <criggie@criggie.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Steve Hodge wrote:
> > The most common suggestion on the mail lists seems to be to not use
> > Myth for this sort of thing.
>
> Well my two tuner cards are in the mythbackend, and I'm not going to buy
> another one for a relatively uncommon task like this.

I wasn't suggesting that. Just, you know, shutting down mythbackend
and starting up some other software...

> And it appears to have worked perfectly so far.

Except for the issues due to not having a schedule (or having the
wrong schedule), right? Going to the trouble of setting up a dummy
channel seems to me to be the sort of thing that's necessary when
you're using the wrong tool for the job.

Steve

Re: Recording from video tape [ In reply to ]
Criggie wrote:
Hey all. I've got a couple of VHS video tapes to duplicate. I figured that recording them to the mythbox would give me a copy with all the advantages of an on-disk recording with none of the wear problems associated with tape. So I changed the input of one of my tuner cards to Composite, opened it with LiveTV, hit play on the VCR and pressed R on the frontend which worked okay. However I realised that as soon as the timeslot for the current programme on that channel was over, the recording would stop. It has also been added to my Media Library as "vodafone select" from C4. How else could I have done this better? This post suggests creating another channel with no EPG info and using that, which seems to be a better idea. http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/44727?do=post_view_flat"]http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/44727?do=post_view_flat Any other comments?
Maybe this post on the knoppmyth forums can help you:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5943"]http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5943

Good luck...

-- "While I thought that I was learning to live, I have been learning how to die." Leonardo DaVinci _______________________________________________ mythtvnz mailing list mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/
Re: Recording from video tape [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 15:52:48 +1200
"Steve Hodge" <stevehodge@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/25/06, Criggie <criggie@criggie.dyndns.org> wrote:
> > Steve Hodge wrote:
> > > The most common suggestion on the mail lists seems to be to not use
> > > Myth for this sort of thing.
> >
> > Well my two tuner cards are in the mythbackend, and I'm not going to buy
> > another one for a relatively uncommon task like this.
>
> I wasn't suggesting that. Just, you know, shutting down mythbackend
> and starting up some other software...
>
> > And it appears to have worked perfectly so far.
>
> Except for the issues due to not having a schedule (or having the
> wrong schedule), right? Going to the trouble of setting up a dummy
> channel seems to me to be the sort of thing that's necessary when
> you're using the wrong tool for the job.
>
> Steve

Rubbish, myth is fine for the job!

There are howtos for the set up in the mythtv-user mailing list archives, which as we all know are hosted at the same place as ours.

OTOH ssh plus

cat /dev/video0 > mytape.mpeg

followed by ctrl-c when the tape is over (OK its a bit manual) will work fine.

Re: Recording from video tape [ In reply to ]
On 6/25/06, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
> OTOH ssh plus
>
> cat /dev/video0 > mytape.mpeg
>
> followed by ctrl-c when the tape is over (OK its a bit manual) will work fine.

Unless getting console access on your myth box is difficult, that's a
lot less manual than setting up a manual recording in myth (or setting
up a dummy channel so that live tv recording doesn't trip up on the
schedule), no?

Steve