Mailing List Archive

Controlling a sky box without a serial port
Need to setup a USB or other solution that can control a sky or cable
box without building a serial based dongle as the HW has no serial
ports. Any tips?

Steve

Re: Controlling a sky box without a serial port [ In reply to ]
On Thu, March 23, 2006 3:27 pm, Steven Ellis wrote:

> Need to setup a USB or other solution that can control a sky or cable
> box without building a serial based dongle as the HW has no serial
> ports. Any tips?
>
> Steve

DSE XH8290 is a usb to serial dongle and has linux drivers. Then attach
your standard serial IR Device.

Re: Controlling a sky box without a serial port [ In reply to ]
On 3/23/06, Steven Ellis <mail_lists@stevencherie.net> wrote:
> Need to setup a USB or other solution that can control a sky or cable
> box without building a serial based dongle as the HW has no serial
> ports. Any tips?

Get a USB to serial dongle? Not sure if that would actually work,
mind. How about a PCI serial card - those still exist, right?

Steve

Re: Controlling a sky box without a serial port [ In reply to ]
on 23/03/2006 4:19 p.m. Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 3/23/06, Steven Ellis <mail_lists@stevencherie.net> wrote:
>> Need to setup a USB or other solution that can control a sky or cable
>> box without building a serial based dongle as the HW has no serial
>> ports. Any tips?
>
> Get a USB to serial dongle? Not sure if that would actually work,
> mind. How about a PCI serial card - those still exist, right?
>
> Steve

I probably have a serial card somewhere you can have if there is a PCI
slot spare... or ISA...

I assume you can do I/R control through a parallel port too if there is one.

cheers
Howard

Re: Controlling a sky box without a serial port [ In reply to ]
Nick Rout wrote:
> On Thu, March 23, 2006 3:27 pm, Steven Ellis wrote:
>
>> Need to setup a USB or other solution that can control a sky or cable
>> box without building a serial based dongle as the HW has no serial
>> ports. Any tips?
>>
>> Steve
>>

> DSE XH8290 is a usb to serial dongle and has linux drivers. Then attach
> your standard serial IR Device.

Yeah thats a bit too much of a hack. Really after a pure USB device.

Steve

Re: Controlling a sky box without a serial port [ In reply to ]
> On Thu, March 23, 2006 3:27 pm, Steven Ellis wrote:
>>
>> Need to setup a USB or other solution that can control a sky or cable
>> box without building a serial based dongle as the HW has no serial
>> ports. Any tips?
>>
>> Steve
>
> DSE XH8290 is a usb to serial dongle and has linux drivers. Then attach
> your standard serial IR Device.

I'd be very suprised if a USB/serial converter worked as the LIRC driver
does not use the transmit and receive pins of the serial port but
bit-bangs the control lines at 38KHz (i.e. somewhat faster than a striking
slug...).

I think there are dedicated USB IR blasters out there though...

--
Robin Gilks

Re: Controlling a sky box without a serial port [ In reply to ]
On Thu, March 23, 2006 6:01 pm, Robin Gilks wrote:

>> On Thu, March 23, 2006 3:27 pm, Steven Ellis wrote:
>>>
>>> Need to setup a USB or other solution that can control a sky or cable
>>> box without building a serial based dongle as the HW has no serial
>>> ports. Any tips?
>>>
>>> Steve
>>
>> DSE XH8290 is a usb to serial dongle and has linux drivers. Then attach
>> your standard serial IR Device.
>>

> I'd be very suprised if a USB/serial converter worked as the LIRC driver
> does not use the transmit and receive pins of the serial port but
> bit-bangs the control lines at 38KHz (i.e. somewhat faster than a striking
> slug...).

Yes true

> I think there are dedicated USB IR blasters out there though...

there is this!

http://www.mytvstore.com/product_id_004.html