Mailing List Archive

Manipulating Program Guide Information
I have been using the tv_grab_nz_ontv script to get program information,
but it is missing Juice TV and C4. I was looking at switching to the
hairy.geek.nz information but i'd like to prune the feed to just the
channels i'm after. This would be just the terrestial channels in Auckland.

Anyone else tried to do this and can provide any tips?

Steve

Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
On 2/21/06, Steven Ellis <mail_lists@stevencherie.net> wrote:

> I have been using the tv_grab_nz_ontv script to get program information,
> but it is missing Juice TV and C4. I was looking at switching to the
> hairy.geek.nz information but i'd like to prune the feed to just the
> channels i'm after. This would be just the terrestial channels in Auckland.
>
> Anyone else tried to do this and can provide any tips?

Just set the channels to be invisible (in mythtv-setup uncheck the
"visible" option on the channel's page). Alternatively, don't define
the channels you don't want and run mythfilldatabase with --update so
it won't create them. You'll get a lot of warnings from
mythfilldatabase but it should work. Finally you could look for
something that can parse xml and strip out the unwanted programs.

In my setup I have a TV tuner that gets the FTA channels, a video
capture card that takes the output of a Sky digital decoder, and a
DVB-S card that gets the free channels TVNZ broadcast via satellite. I
use a combination of the first two options I mentioned above:
The TV tuner only has the channels they receive defined, but I load
the full EPG file against it with --update.
The Sky input and the DVB-S card have various channels marked as not
visible. I load the same file against both of those as well.

Steve

Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 2/21/06, Steven Ellis <mail_lists@stevencherie.net> wrote:
>
>> I have been using the tv_grab_nz_ontv script to get program information,
>> but it is missing Juice TV and C4. I was looking at switching to the
>> hairy.geek.nz information but i'd like to prune the feed to just the
>> channels i'm after. This would be just the terrestial channels in Auckland.
>>
>> Anyone else tried to do this and can provide any tips?
>>

> Just set the channels to be invisible (in mythtv-setup uncheck the
> "visible" option on the channel's page). Alternatively, don't define
> the channels you don't want and run mythfilldatabase with --update so
> it won't create them. You'll get a lot of warnings from
> mythfilldatabase but it should work. Finally you could look for
> something that can parse xml and strip out the unwanted programs.
>
> In my setup I have a TV tuner that gets the FTA channels, a video
> capture card that takes the output of a Sky digital decoder, and a
> DVB-S card that gets the free channels TVNZ broadcast via satellite. I
> use a combination of the first two options I mentioned above:
> The TV tuner only has the channels they receive defined, but I load
> the full EPG file against it with --update.
> The Sky input and the DVB-S card have various channels marked as not
> visible. I load the same file against both of those as well.

I had some problems with visible as with my PVR-150 + DVB-T combination.

The DVB-T card has priority, and even though TV3 & 4 were marked as not
visible for it, the scheduler would still try and use that tuner. Hence
i'd like to get XML TV feeds that only contain the data I want.

Plus if I use the hairy.geek.nz there are a lot of stations i'd like to
strip out.

Look like tv_grep will do most of what I want. Just working on a script
at the moment.

Steve

Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
>On 2/21/06, Steven Ellis <mail_lists@stevencherie.net> wrote:
>>
>> I have been using the tv_grab_nz_ontv script to get program information,
>> but it is missing Juice TV and C4. I was looking at switching to the
>> hairy.geek.nz information but i'd like to prune the feed to just the
>> channels i'm after. This would be just the terrestial channels in Auckland.
>>
>> Anyone else tried to do this and can provide any tips?
>
>Just set the channels to be invisible (in mythtv-setup uncheck the
>"visible" option on the channel's page). Alternatively, don't define
>the channels you don't want and run mythfilldatabase with --update so
>it won't create them. You'll get a lot of warnings from
>mythfilldatabase but it should work. Finally you could look for
>something that can parse xml and strip out the unwanted programs.
>
>In my setup I have a TV tuner that gets the FTA channels, a video
>capture card that takes the output of a Sky digital decoder, and a
>DVB-S card that gets the free channels TVNZ broadcast via satellite. I
>use a combination of the first two options I mentioned above:
>The TV tuner only has the channels they receive defined, but I load
>the full EPG file against it with --update.
>The Sky input and the DVB-S card have various channels marked as not
>visible. I load the same file against both of those as well.
>
>Steve

Steve,

I'm assuming that you have the DVB-S card connected to a sky dish.
If so could I grab a copy of your .szap/channels.conf?

- Wade

Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
On 2/21/06, Wade Maxfield <mythtvnz@hotblack.co.nz> wrote:
> Steve,
>
> I'm assuming that you have the DVB-S card connected to a sky dish.
> If so could I grab a copy of your .szap/channels.conf?

Don't have either I'm afraid. I did the tuning in mythtv-setup. Is
there anything I can pull out of the database that will help?

Steve

Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
On 2/21/06, Steven Ellis <mail_lists@stevencherie.net> wrote:
> I had some problems with visible as with my PVR-150 + DVB-T combination.
>
> The DVB-T card has priority, and even though TV3 & 4 were marked as not
> visible for it, the scheduler would still try and use that tuner. Hence
> i'd like to get XML TV feeds that only contain the data I want.

Even if you have the channel defined unless you've entered an xmltvid
those channels shouldn't be getting any data, and therefore shouldn't
get scheduled. So a simple solution would be to remove the xmltvid for
those channels.

Removing the unwanted channels means you have to produce a different
feed for each video source.

Steve

Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
Wade Maxfield wrote:
> Steve,
>
> I'm assuming that you have the DVB-S card connected to a sky dish. If
> so could I grab a copy of your .szap/channels.conf?

Sorry but i'm using a DVB-T unit. We have a test signal here in Auckland.

Steve

Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
I used to use the DVB-S card and probably still have details somewhere.
Would the frequencies suffice?

Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
>I used to use the DVB-S card and probably still have details somewhere.
>Would the frequencies suffice?
>
>On 2/22/06, Steven Ellis <<mailto:mail_lists@stevencherie.net>
>mail_lists@stevencherie.net> wrote:
>
>Wade Maxfield wrote:
>> Steve,
>>
>> I'm assuming that you have the DVB-S card connected to a sky dish. If
>> so could I grab a copy of your .szap/channels.conf?
>
>Sorry but i'm using a DVB-T unit. We have a test signal here in Auckland.
>
>Steve

Sam/Steve H,

I tried following the DVB-S instructions at pvr.geek.nz and when I do
the channel scan in mythtv-setup it only finds 7 or so channels, and
they're all Animal Planet, and a couple of other encrypted channels
that it can't handle. It doesn't find any FTA channels.

Strange thing is I know the card works since I can pipe dvdbstream to
mplayer and get a good picture, and I'm using it to grab EPG data for
FTA and Sky.

I was going to upgrade to 0.19 once it's gone stable at atrpms (I'm a
package guy following Jarod's guide on FC4) and try again, but in the
mean time maybe I could grab a dump of your channels table, or even
just the channel settings for one of the FTA DVB-S channels?

- Wade

Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
Will look tonight and come back to you

Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
Wade Maxfield wrote:

> Sam/Steve H,
>
> I tried following the DVB-S instructions at pvr.geek.nz and when I do
> the channel scan in mythtv-setup it only finds 7 or so channels, and
> they're all Animal Planet, and a couple of other encrypted channels
> that it can't handle. It doesn't find any FTA channels.
>
> Strange thing is I know the card works since I can pipe dvdbstream to
> mplayer and get a good picture, and I'm using it to grab EPG data for
> FTA and Sky.
>
> I was going to upgrade to 0.19 once it's gone stable at atrpms (I'm a
> package guy following Jarod's guide on FC4) and try again, but in the
> mean time maybe I could grab a dump of your channels table, or even
> just the channel settings for one of the FTA DVB-S channels?
Did you take a look at http://hairy.geek.nz/epg/service-ids.txt

Steve

Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
On 2/22/06, Wade Maxfield <mythtvnz@hotblack.co.nz> wrote:
> Sam/Steve H,
> I tried following the DVB-S instructions at pvr.geek.nz and when I do
> the channel scan in mythtv-setup it only finds 7 or so channels, and
> they're all Animal Planet, and a couple of other encrypted channels
> that it can't handle. It doesn't find any FTA channels.

Sounds like you're only scanning one of the Sky transports
(frequencies). In mythtv-setup go to the channel editor, hit the
transport editor button and see what you've got. The transport you
need to get the TVNZ channels is on frequency 12483000, symbol rate
22500000, polarity vertical, fec 3/4, and inversion auto.

If you don't have that one add it.

Then go to input connections, go into the satellite connection and
click the scan for channels button. Make sure the scan type is
"Existing Transport Scan". Choose the 12483000 transport and hit next
to do the scan. That should get you the TVNZ channels. Alternatively
you could do a "Full Scan Of Existing Transports" once you've got the
TVNZ transport set up.

In the database I have several rows in dtv_multiplex because I've set
up transports for all the Sky frequencies, but the important one
(TVNZ's transport) has:
networkid = 47, frequency = 12483000, symbolrate = 22500000, polarity
= v, fec 3/4

In the channel table I have, for example:
chaid = 4000, channum = 257, callsign = 'TVNZ WIDE', serviceid = 257

Steve

Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 21 February 2006 19:14, Steven Ellis wrote:

> The DVB-T card has priority, and even though TV3 & 4 were marked as not
> visible for it, the scheduler would still try and use that tuner. Hence
> i'd like to get XML TV feeds that only contain the data I want.
>
> Plus if I use the hairy.geek.nz there are a lot of stations i'd like to
> strip out.
>
> Look like tv_grep will do most of what I want. Just working on a script
> at the moment.

The scripts I use provide you with what you are asking for. Note that I think
I'm doing it the wrong way and have been meaning to swap to setting visible
instead :-)

Some comments:
I'm using wget since curl always adds a Pragma: no-cache
More efficient methods would be possible, even easier, these scripts just
evolved this way.
Sorry about the crude perl

Corrin

lakeland@dango:/usr/local/bin$ cat tv_grab_sky
#!/bin/bash -x
# grab xml tv listings from hairy.geek.nz
# and manipulate them so they look like the mr.geek.nz ones
mkdir /tmp/epg
cd /tmp/epg
#remove old file
rm -f sky.xml.gz sky.xml

# get the file
wget --quiet --output-document sky.xml.gz
http://hairy.geek.nz/epg/latest.xml.gz

# extract
gunzip sky.xml.gz

/usr/local/bin/add_mrgeek sky.xml > sky_tmp.xml && mv sky_tmp.xml sky.xml

#update mythtv database
mythfilldatabase --file 1 -1 /tmp/epg/sky.xml
chmod -R 777 /tmp/epg

lakeland@dango:/usr/local/bin$ cat tv_grab_tvnz
#!/bin/bash -x
# grab xml tv listings from hairy.geek.nz
# and manipulate them so they look like the mr.geek.nz ones
mkdir /tmp/epg
cd /tmp/epg
#remove old file
rm -f tvnz.xml.gz tvnz.xml tvnz_tmp.xml

# get the file
wget --quiet --output-document tvnz.xml.gz
http://hairy.geek.nz/epg/latest.xml.gz

# extract
gunzip tvnz.xml.gz

/usr/local/bin/add_mrgeek tvnz.xml > tvnz_tmp.xml && mv tvnz_tmp.xml tvnz.xml
/usr/local/bin/drop_sky tvnz.xml > tvnz_tmp.xml && mv tvnz_tmp.xml tvnz.xml

#update mythtv database
mythfilldatabase --file 1 -1 /tmp/epg/tvnz.xml
chmod -R 777 /tmp/epg

lakeland@dango:/usr/local/bin$ cat drop_sky
#!/usr/bin/perl

my $pre = 0;
my $chan = 1;
my $prog = 2;
my $post = 3;

my $print = 0;
my $skip = 1;

my $state = $pre;
my $do_print = $print;

print "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"ISO-8859-1\"?>\n";
print "<!DOCTYPE tv SYSTEM \"xmltv.dtd\">\n";
print "<tv generator-info-name=\"dvb-epg-gen\">\n";

while (<>) {
if (($pre == $state) && (/channel/)) {
$state = $chan;
$do_print = $print;
}
if (($chan == $state) && (/programme /)) {
$state = $prog;
$do_print = $print;
}
if (($prog == $state) && (/\<\/tv\>/)) {
$state = $post;
$do_print = $print;
}

if (($chan == $state) && (/mr.geek/)) {
$do_print = $print;
}
if (($chan == $state) && (/dvb/)) {
$do_print = $skip;
}
if (($prog == $state) && (/mr.geek/)) {
$do_print = $print;
}
if (($prog == $state) && (/dvb/)) {
$do_print = $skip;
}

print unless ($do_print == $skip);
}

lakeland@dango:/usr/local/bin$ cat add_mrgeek
#!/usr/bin/perl

# Change channels to something distinctive

while (<>) {
# chomp;
# Change channel one
s/1035.dvb.guide/TV1.mr.geek.nz/g;
s/1037.dvb.guide/TV1.mr.geek.nz/g;
# Change channel two
s/1036.dvb.guide/TV2.mr.geek.nz/g;
s/1038.dvb.guide/TV2.mr.geek.nz/g;
# Change channel three
s/1033.dvb.guide/TV3.mr.geek.nz/g;
# Change channel four
s/1034.dvb.guide/TV4.mr.geek.nz/g;
#PRIME
s/1018.dvb.guide/Prime.mr.geek.nz/g;
#Maori TV
s/1025.dvb.guide/maori.mr.geek.nz/g;
print;
}

Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
Corrin Lakeland wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 February 2006 19:14, Steven Ellis wrote:
>

>> The DVB-T card has priority, and even though TV3 & 4 were marked as not
>> visible for it, the scheduler would still try and use that tuner. Hence
>> i'd like to get XML TV feeds that only contain the data I want.
>>
>> Plus if I use the hairy.geek.nz there are a lot of stations i'd like to
>> strip out.
>>
>> Look like tv_grep will do most of what I want. Just working on a script
>> at the moment.
>>

> The scripts I use provide you with what you are asking for. Note that I think
> I'm doing it the wrong way and have been meaning to swap to setting visible
> instead :-)
>

> Some comments:
> I'm using wget since curl always adds a Pragma: no-cache
> More efficient methods would be possible, even easier, these scripts just
> evolved this way.
> Sorry about the crude perl
>
> Corrin

Hey thanks this is great. Just needed a tweak to get the extra data i'm
after as I want Juice as I get it FTA in auckland.

Steve

Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
>On 2/22/06, Wade Maxfield <mythtvnz@hotblack.co.nz> wrote:
>> Sam/Steve H,
>> I tried following the DVB-S instructions at pvr.geek.nz and when I do
>> the channel scan in mythtv-setup it only finds 7 or so channels, and
>> they're all Animal Planet, and a couple of other encrypted channels
>> that it can't handle. It doesn't find any FTA channels.
>
>Sounds like you're only scanning one of the Sky transports
>(frequencies). In mythtv-setup go to the channel editor, hit the
>transport editor button and see what you've got. The transport you
>need to get the TVNZ channels is on frequency 12483000, symbol rate
>22500000, polarity vertical, fec 3/4, and inversion auto.
>
>If you don't have that one add it.
>
>Then go to input connections, go into the satellite connection and
>click the scan for channels button. Make sure the scan type is
>"Existing Transport Scan". Choose the 12483000 transport and hit next
>to do the scan. That should get you the TVNZ channels. Alternatively
>you could do a "Full Scan Of Existing Transports" once you've got the
>TVNZ transport set up.
>
>In the database I have several rows in dtv_multiplex because I've set
>up transports for all the Sky frequencies, but the important one
>(TVNZ's transport) has:
>networkid = 47, frequency = 12483000, symbolrate = 22500000, polarity
>= v, fec 3/4
>
>In the channel table I have, for example:
>chaid = 4000, channum = 257, callsign = 'TVNZ WIDE', serviceid = 257
>
>Steve

Thanks Steve,

I've just had another go (one of the rare gaps in the recording
schedule) and I still end up with Animal Planet, CNN etc. Looking at
http://hairy.geek.nz/epg/service-ids.txt it appears that the card is
only getting frequency=12707000. Playing with the frequency in the
transport editor resulted in either getting no channels found or the
Animal Planet group.

Switching back to the terminal I spotted an error saying that the
frequency was out of range (min/max 950000/2150000) when it
successfully found the Animal Planet group, or no error when it found
nothing.

So that makes me think that I have a problem with either the Card
setup or the Input setup.

What have you got set for LNB LOF switch / High / Low?

- Wade

Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 17:36 +1300, Wade Maxfield wrote:
> I've just had another go (one of the rare gaps in the recording
> schedule) and I still end up with Animal Planet, CNN etc. Looking at
> http://hairy.geek.nz/epg/service-ids.txt it appears that the card is
> only getting frequency=12707000. Playing with the frequency in the
> transport editor resulted in either getting no channels found or the
> Animal Planet group.
>
> Switching back to the terminal I spotted an error saying that the
> frequency was out of range (min/max 950000/2150000) when it
> successfully found the Animal Planet group, or no error when it found
> nothing.

That sounds like the LNB settings are wrong. For Sky LNBs offset should
be 11.3GHz fixed. I have LOF switch as "1" and both High/Low as 11.3GHz
(11300000000 since it's in Hz IIRC).

If the LNB settings look correct, then try tuning by hand using dvbtune.
Pass the -f parameter as a _local_ frequency (ie, 950MHz to 2.15GHz)
because dvbtune only understood Universal LNBs when I last checked.
Conversion from the service-ids.txt is subtract 11.3GHz from the
frequency listed there.

If it still doesn't lock, you may have an unusual card with a different
tuner than the driver expects. In that case, driver hacking might be
required. But that case should be very rare. You might also have an odd
LNB (Universal is most likely if it's not a Sky one), or confused
multiswitch, but these are equally unlikely causes.

Hope that helps. If anyone has suggested improvements to the DVB-S stuff
on pvr.geek.nz, please feel free to edit it!

--
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Team Leader, Systems Administration
Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
On 2/22/06, Wade Maxfield <mythtvnz@hotblack.co.nz> wrote:
> What have you got set for LNB LOF switch / High / Low?

I've got mine set to 1/11300000/11300000 (same as David, but note that
the high and low frequencies are in kHz in MythTV, not Hz). If that's
not what you've got, try that. Otherwise try David's suggestions.

Steve

Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
>On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 17:36 +1300, Wade Maxfield wrote:
>> I've just had another go (one of the rare gaps in the recording
>> schedule) and I still end up with Animal Planet, CNN etc. Looking at
>> http://hairy.geek.nz/epg/service-ids.txt it appears that the card is
>> only getting frequency=12707000. Playing with the frequency in the
>> transport editor resulted in either getting no channels found or the
>> Animal Planet group.
>>
>> Switching back to the terminal I spotted an error saying that the
>> frequency was out of range (min/max 950000/2150000) when it
>> successfully found the Animal Planet group, or no error when it found
>> nothing.
>
>That sounds like the LNB settings are wrong. For Sky LNBs offset should
>be 11.3GHz fixed. I have LOF switch as "1" and both High/Low as 11.3GHz
>(11300000000 since it's in Hz IIRC).
>
>If the LNB settings look correct, then try tuning by hand using dvbtune.
>Pass the -f parameter as a _local_ frequency (ie, 950MHz to 2.15GHz)
>because dvbtune only understood Universal LNBs when I last checked.
>Conversion from the service-ids.txt is subtract 11.3GHz from the
>frequency listed there.
>
>If it still doesn't lock, you may have an unusual card with a different
>tuner than the driver expects. In that case, driver hacking might be
>required. But that case should be very rare. You might also have an odd
>LNB (Universal is most likely if it's not a Sky one), or confused
>multiswitch, but these are equally unlikely causes.
>
>Hope that helps. If anyone has suggested improvements to the DVB-S stuff
>on pvr.geek.nz, please feel free to edit it!
>
>--
>David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
>Team Leader, Systems Administration
>Catalyst IT Limited
>+64-4-8032233 +64-21-402260

Thanks David,

I've spent some more time with the machine today, and have managed to
get something working, but I'm not certain why it won't work
following the instruction on pvr.geek.nz

When I set LNB High to 11300000000 (113 with 8 zeroes) and save, when
I go back in to the input screen it has changed the value to
2147483647 which I think is the maximum for a 32bit signed integer
from memory.

So I tried setting Switch/High/Low all to 0, then went to do a
channel scan. I did a full scan using 1183000 as the frequency and
found many transports. Unfortunately all their reported frequencies
were the true frequency (12483000, etc). So I edited them by hand to
local frequencies, and tweaked the resulting channel table to remove
all the non FTA channels.

Startup the backend and I can now get NASA TV!!! Not the prettiest
way to get there, but it's working. So if anyone has any ideas on
where I went wrong, or what's screwy with my system, I'm all ears.

System:
Athlon64 3200+
FC4 i386
Myth 0.18.1
MySQL 4.1.16

Actually I think I've just figured out what my problem is as I check
this message. It's got to be a 32bit issue. I switched to i386 at
xmas while trying to sort out some stability issues with FC4 x86_64.

- Wade

Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
>On 2/22/06, Wade Maxfield <mythtvnz@hotblack.co.nz> wrote:
>> What have you got set for LNB LOF switch / High / Low?
>
>I've got mine set to 1/11300000/11300000 (same as David, but note that
>the high and low frequencies are in kHz in MythTV, not Hz). If that's
>not what you've got, try that. Otherwise try David's suggestions.
>
>Steve

Ahhh. I shall try again tomorrow with that. Thanks.

- Wade

RE: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
Has anyone thought of writing a web interface to the EPG data? You could
send a query to a web page and it would only return the channels you
wanted. We could also introduce some extra smarts and store information
such as categories etc and munge them into the XML for programs that are
on every week. Might be some copyright issues but it should be fine if
its kept under the radar.

I might have a crack at it if this sounds useful although I don't have
enough bandwidth to serve everyone with it.
Would people be prepared to assist with categorising common programs?
If there was a simple web interface with a list of all unique program
names it wouldn't take long to categorise them.
This would have to be a group effort rather than a private burdon for
one person to maintain.
It could also strip out the dumb listings that start with Movie: and
automatically categorise them as Movies.

Cheers
Toby

Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
>On 2/22/06, Wade Maxfield <mythtvnz@hotblack.co.nz> wrote:
>> What have you got set for LNB LOF switch / High / Low?
>
>I've got mine set to 1/11300000/11300000 (same as David, but note that
>the high and low frequencies are in kHz in MythTV, not Hz). If that's
>not what you've got, try that. Otherwise try David's suggestions.
>
>Steve

OK, using 1/11300000/11300000 and doing a full scan starting with
12456000, I now have found 12 transports, and 19 FTA channels. And
all without having to hand tweak the database.

Thanks Everyone for the help. I've added 2 notes to the wiki.

- Wade

Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:13:02 +1300
Toby Mills wrote:

> Has anyone thought of writing a web interface to the EPG data? You could
> send a query to a web page and it would only return the channels you
> wanted. We could also introduce some extra smarts and store information
> such as categories etc and munge them into the XML for programs that are
> on every week. Might be some copyright issues but it should be fine if
> its kept under the radar.
>
> I might have a crack at it if this sounds useful although I don't have
> enough bandwidth to serve everyone with it.
> Would people be prepared to assist with categorising common programs?
> If there was a simple web interface with a list of all unique program
> names it wouldn't take long to categorise them.
> This would have to be a group effort rather than a private burdon for
> one person to maintain.
> It could also strip out the dumb listings that start with Movie: and
> automatically categorise them as Movies.
>
> Cheers
> Toby

IMHO this is a bad idea. The feeds available are small enough to
download daily.

If you want a service that will only download certain channels, try the
xmltvnz program available from http://www.reven.co.nz/ , but it is a web
site scraper and involves a substantail amount of downloading anyway
(downloading a whole s k y page and munging it into xml is less
efficient than just downloading zipped xml)

Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
On 2/23/06, Toby Mills <toby@np.co.nz> wrote:
> Has anyone thought of writing a web interface to the EPG data? You could
> send a query to a web page and it would only return the channels you
> wanted.

Well, I still don't see extra channels in the data as being a problem...

> We could also introduce some extra smarts and store information
> such as categories etc and munge them into the XML for programs that are
> on every week. Might be some copyright issues but it should be fine if
> its kept under the radar.

Getting category data from somewhere would be great. However I'm
getting my EPG data via a DVB-S card and I wouldn't want to go back to
downloading it even to get it with categories. How about a web based
query service that returns the category for a particular title?

> Would people be prepared to assist with categorising common programs?
> If there was a simple web interface with a list of all unique program
> names it wouldn't take long to categorise them.

I'd be willing to help. I'm not so sure about your "wouldn't take
long" assertion though - right now my MythTV database has 1734
distinct program titles :-)

Steve

Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
Wade Maxfield wrote:
>> On 2/22/06, Wade Maxfield <mythtvnz@hotblack.co.nz> wrote:
>>> What have you got set for LNB LOF switch / High / Low?
>>
>> I've got mine set to 1/11300000/11300000 (same as David, but note that
>> the high and low frequencies are in kHz in MythTV, not Hz). If that's
>> not what you've got, try that. Otherwise try David's suggestions.
>>
>> Steve
>
> OK, using 1/11300000/11300000 and doing a full scan starting with
> 12456000, I now have found 12 transports, and 19 FTA channels. And
> all without having to hand tweak the database.
>
> Thanks Everyone for the help. I've added 2 notes to the wiki.
>
> -
Which wiki have you added the notes to?

Steve

Re: Manipulating Program Guide Information [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:38:50 +1300
Steve Hodge wrote:

> > We could also introduce some extra smarts and store information
> > such as categories etc and munge them into the XML for programs that are
> > on every week. Might be some copyright issues but it should be fine if
> > its kept under the radar.
>
> Getting category data from somewhere would be great. However I'm
> getting my EPG data via a DVB-S card and I wouldn't want to go back to
> downloading it even to get it with categories. How about a web based
> query service that returns the category for a particular title?

One positive about the xmltvnz from reven.co.nz is the inclusion of
category metadata. This gives a nice colourful display in the myth epg
and the mythweb epg too.

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>