Done.

Where do I go from here?

- Wade

Re: DVB-S Setup? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 17:15 +1300, Wade Maxfield wrote:
> I'm trying to follow the info on http://pvr.geek.nz/w/index.php/DVB-S_Setup
> I've got a TechniSat SkyStar 2 pci card and if I do
>
> # dvbtune -f 1183000 -s 22500 -p v -m
>
> I get the same basic output as listed on the wiki. So far so good.
>
> But when I get to the scan -c I get:
>
> # scan -c
> using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
> WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0011
> WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0000
> dumping lists (0 services)
> Done.

Tends to suggest it's not tuned quite right. I had a lot of problems
getting real services on the appartment-shared Sky feed, in the end, I
have to use -p h (horizontal polarity) before it would behave.

Just a thought, try -p h, see where it gets you.

Have you tried other transponders? What's the error rates for tuned
transponders? >512 is bad.

--
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Team Leader, Systems Administration
Re: DVB-S Setup? [ In reply to ]
>On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 17:15 +1300, Wade Maxfield wrote:
>> I'm trying to follow the info on http://pvr.geek.nz/w/index.php/DVB-S_Setup
>> I've got a TechniSat SkyStar 2 pci card and if I do
>>
> > # dvbtune -f 1183000 -s 22500 -p v -m
>>
>> I get the same basic output as listed on the wiki. So far so good.
>>
>> But when I get to the scan -c I get:
>>
>> # scan -c
>> using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
>> WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0011
>> WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0000
>> dumping lists (0 services)
>> Done.
>
>Tends to suggest it's not tuned quite right. I had a lot of problems
>getting real services on the appartment-shared Sky feed, in the end, I
>have to use -p h (horizontal polarity) before it would behave.
>
>Just a thought, try -p h, see where it gets you.
>
>Have you tried other transponders? What's the error rates for tuned
>transponders? >512 is bad.
>
>--
>David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
>Team Leader, Systems Administration
>Catalyst IT Limited
>+64-4-8032233 +64-21-402260

Thanks David.

With your prompting, I checked out the Lyngsat Optus site, and then
tried the 12456 Freq.
Trying -p h made no difference initially.

The error rate you refer to is the Bit error rate, right?

What I have figured out is that if I run dvbtune and get a high error
rate, let it run for a few seconds, kill it, then run it again, it
will now have a very low error rate. And doing a scan -c ,with the
low error rate, works as well. So I can use 12456 or 12483 for the
frequency.

Now I'm stuck on the EPG. From
http://pvr.geek.nz/w/index.php/Listings I running the script one line
at a time to see what it's doing.

When I do the tv_grab_dvb bit I get an

# tv_grab_dvb -s -o 12 > /tmp/listings-$$.xml

DMX_SET_FILTER:: Invalid argument
./tv_grab_dvb: Unable to get event data from multiplex.

I think I must have missed something, but I can't figure it out for
the life of me...

- Wade

Re: DVB-S Setup? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 19:58 +1300, Wade Maxfield wrote:
> With your prompting, I checked out the Lyngsat Optus site, and then
> tried the 12456 Freq.
> Trying -p h made no difference initially.
>
> The error rate you refer to is the Bit error rate, right?

Yes.

> What I have figured out is that if I run dvbtune and get a high error
> rate, let it run for a few seconds, kill it, then run it again, it
> will now have a very low error rate. And doing a scan -c ,with the
> low error rate, works as well. So I can use 12456 or 12483 for the
> frequency.

Hmm.. strange. That's going to be interesting to get going with MythTV
then, I think it tends to assume it tunes on the first shot.

> Now I'm stuck on the EPG. From
> http://pvr.geek.nz/w/index.php/Listings I running the script one line
> at a time to see what it's doing.
>
> When I do the tv_grab_dvb bit I get an
>
> # tv_grab_dvb -s -o 12 > /tmp/listings-$$.xml
>
> DMX_SET_FILTER:: Invalid argument
> ./tv_grab_dvb: Unable to get event data from multiplex.
>
> I think I must have missed something, but I can't figure it out for
> the life of me...

The card has to be open and tuned when you run tv_grab_dvb. The & on the
end of dvbstream is critical.

I'd leave dvbstream running in another window if you're doing it by
hand.

Also, MythTV will soon have an integrated DVB EPG data parser that
doesn't require anything being run at all, just tick the channel as one
you want guide data for, and it'll gather it entirely in the background.
No more silly scripts :)

Re: DVB-S Setup? [ In reply to ]
>On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 19:58 +1300, Wade Maxfield wrote:
>> With your prompting, I checked out the Lyngsat Optus site, and then
>> tried the 12456 Freq.
>> Trying -p h made no difference initially.
>>
>> The error rate you refer to is the Bit error rate, right?
>
>Yes.
>
>> What I have figured out is that if I run dvbtune and get a high error
>> rate, let it run for a few seconds, kill it, then run it again, it
>> will now have a very low error rate. And doing a scan -c ,with the
>> low error rate, works as well. So I can use 12456 or 12483 for the
>> frequency.
>
>Hmm.. strange. That's going to be interesting to get going with MythTV
>then, I think it tends to assume it tunes on the first shot.

With more playing it seems that once I've got a low error rate,
switching between 12456 or 12483 stays with a low error rate. It
looks like the high error rate is only on the first or second time I
tune after a restart. So I think Myth should be safe with it's
assumption, particularly if I add some form of false tuning to my
startup process.

> > Now I'm stuck on the EPG. From
> > http://pvr.geek.nz/w/index.php/Listings I running the script one line
>> at a time to see what it's doing.
>>
>> When I do the tv_grab_dvb bit I get an
>>
>> # tv_grab_dvb -s -o 12 > /tmp/listings-$$.xml
>>
>> DMX_SET_FILTER:: Invalid argument
>> ./tv_grab_dvb: Unable to get event data from multiplex.
>>
>> I think I must have missed something, but I can't figure it out for
>> the life of me...
>
>The card has to be open and tuned when you run tv_grab_dvb. The & on the
>end of dvbstream is critical.
>
>I'd leave dvbstream running in another window if you're doing it by
>hand.

I was doing that, and watching what it does. The output from dvbstream is

[root@mythtv mythtv]# dvbstream -s 22500 -o:/dev/null -f 1156 -p v -n 60 8192
dvbstream v0.5 - (C) Dave Chapman 2001-2004
Released under the GPL.
Latest version available from http://www.linuxstb.org/
Using DVB card "ST STV0299 DVB-S"
tuning DVB-S to L-Band:1, Pol:V Srate=22500000, 22kHz=off
ERROR setting tone
: Invalid argument
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS:
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI FE_HAS_SYNC
Event: Frequency: 11756224
SymbolRate: 22500000
FEC_inner: 3

Bit error rate: 162
Signal strength: 51825
SNR: 53172
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI FE_HAS_SYNC
MAP 0, file /dev/null: From -1 secs, To -1 secs, 0 PIDs -
Setting filter for PID 8192
Using 224.0.1.2:5004:2
version=2
Streaming 1 stream

And it just sits there with "Streaming 1 stream" for as long as I leave it.

Then in another window, I run
# tv_grab_dvb -s -o 12 > /tmp/listings-$$.xml

I get the DMX_SET_FILTER:: Invalid argument error.

If I run it again straight afterward I get
[root@mythtv mythtv]# tv_grab_dvb -s -o 12 > /tmp/listings-$$.xml

tv_grab_dvb: No tzap channels.conf to produce channel
infoDMX_SET_FILTER:: Invalid argument
tv_grab_dvb: Unable to get event data from multiplex.

Do you have a tzap channels.conf I can grab?

>Also, MythTV will soon have an integrated DVB EPG data parser that
>doesn't require anything being run at all, just tick the channel as one
>you want guide data for, and it'll gather it entirely in the background.
>No more silly scripts :)

Roll on. Any ideas on how long soon is? 8)

- Wade

Re: DVB-S Setup? [ In reply to ]
On 12/19/05, David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz> wrote:
> Also, MythTV will soon have an integrated DVB EPG data parser that
> doesn't require anything being run at all, just tick the channel as one
> you want guide data for, and it'll gather it entirely in the background.
> No more silly scripts :)

That's there already, if you configure with -enable-dvb-eit (IIRC,
something like that anyway).
My DVB TVNZ channels automatically get EPG data that way. But I'm not
sure it will work for Sky because we can't actually watch the Sky
channels via DVB, so we still need some way of getting the guide data
from the DVB Sky channels to the TV card Sky channels. I'm not sure
there is a way of setting up MythTV so that channel A is the same as
channel B and also set channel B so that it is never used.

Steve

Re: DVB-S Setup? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 10:36 +1300, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 12/19/05, David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz> wrote:
> > Also, MythTV will soon have an integrated DVB EPG data parser that
> > doesn't require anything being run at all
>
> That's there already, if you configure with -enable-dvb-eit (IIRC,
> something like that anyway).
> My DVB TVNZ channels automatically get EPG data that way.

Ah, reading the -dev list, it sounded like currently released code
wasn't really working that well. IIRC, released versions also don't have
the rather useful transponder walk that gathers EPGs from all available
transponders when the card isn't in use..

Would help if I was running current versions :)

Re: DVB-S Setup? [ In reply to ]
>On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 19:58 +1300, Wade Maxfield wrote:
>> With your prompting, I checked out the Lyngsat Optus site, and then
>> tried the 12456 Freq.
>> Trying -p h made no difference initially.
>>
>> The error rate you refer to is the Bit error rate, right?
>
>Yes.
>
>> What I have figured out is that if I run dvbtune and get a high error
>> rate, let it run for a few seconds, kill it, then run it again, it
>> will now have a very low error rate. And doing a scan -c ,with the
>> low error rate, works as well. So I can use 12456 or 12483 for the
>> frequency.
>
>Hmm.. strange. That's going to be interesting to get going with MythTV
>then, I think it tends to assume it tunes on the first shot.
>
>> Now I'm stuck on the EPG. From
>> http://pvr.geek.nz/w/index.php/Listings I running the script one line
>> at a time to see what it's doing.
>>
>> When I do the tv_grab_dvb bit I get an
>>
>> # tv_grab_dvb -s -o 12 > /tmp/listings-$$.xml
>>
>> DMX_SET_FILTER:: Invalid argument
>> ./tv_grab_dvb: Unable to get event data from multiplex.
>>
>> I think I must have missed something, but I can't figure it out for
>> the life of me...
>
>The card has to be open and tuned when you run tv_grab_dvb. The & on the
>end of dvbstream is critical.
>
>I'd leave dvbstream running in another window if you're doing it by
>hand.
>
>Also, MythTV will soon have an integrated DVB EPG data parser that
>doesn't require anything being run at all, just tick the channel as one
>you want guide data for, and it'll gather it entirely in the background.
>No more silly scripts :)

Right, I've gone back to trying to get this working.

I've just changed from FC4 x86_64 to using the i386 version on my
Athlon 64 3200+, and now I no longer get these errors I was. But I
seem to be missing a channels.conf for it to work from.

Any one got a copy I can grab, or instructions on how you generated yours?

- Wade