Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 9:25 am, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 12/4/05, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
> > nVidia Corporation NV28 [GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP 8x]
>
> I've got one of those. The TV out was significantly worse on that than
> on my newer GeForce 5200FX.

Yes my PC has the 5200 with s-video output and works great too.

Simon, my son and partner in this project, suggests that we buy a new fanless
graphics board with component output (apparently for around $150). We really
should do that as the Ti 4200 is quite noisey.

--
Regards, Robert

Robert Fisher
(aka - Rob, Bob, Robbie, Robbo, Fish)
FishNet Computer & Electrical Services
www.fisher.net.nz
Phone: 03 383 5807
Mobile: 027 477 3356

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 09:15:44 +1300
Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 8:47 am, Nick Rout wrote:
> > On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 18:12:24 +1300
> >
> > Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
> > > I do have a problem with my xorg file though as I cannot seem to get the
> > > TV working from the Composite output of the video card. (Hardware is OK
> > > because it worked with windows.)
> >
> > What sort of card is it?
>
> nVidia Corporation NV28 [GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP 8x]
> >
> > wouldn't you be better with the VGA input anyway?
>
> Probably but I do not have one of those leads and in the long term it is
> probably not ideal as the VGA input is only on the front of the TV set.
>
> I was hoping to use the same setup as I use will my PC - simply cloning using
> Nvidia twinview.
> I now think that my problem may be to do with Nvidia not loading but I have to
> do the painting now.
>
> Rob

shouldn't you be using the nvidia driver, not the nv one?

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 11:44 am, Nick Rout wrote:

> > I was hoping to use the same setup as I use will my PC - simply cloning
> > using Nvidia twinview.
> > I now think that my problem may be to do with Nvidia not loading but I
> > have to do the painting now.
> >
> > Rob
>
> shouldn't you be using the nvidia driver, not the nv one?

Yes that is what I thought but X does not start with that option.

I could post /var/log/Xorg.0.log if you really want.

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On 12/4/05, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 11:44 am, Nick Rout wrote:
> > shouldn't you be using the nvidia driver, not the nv one?
> >
> Yes that is what I thought but X does not start with that option.
>
> I could post /var/log/Xorg.0.log if you really want.

Might be an idea - I don't think the nv (open source) driver supports twinview.

Steve

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 12:43 pm, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 12/4/05, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
> > On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 11:44 am, Nick Rout wrote:
> > > shouldn't you be using the nvidia driver, not the nv one?
> >
> > Yes that is what I thought but X does not start with that option.
> >
> > I could post /var/log/Xorg.0.log if you really want.
>
> Might be an idea - I don't think the nv (open source) driver supports
> twinview.

OK here they are.

Xorg.0.log is with "nvidia" in xorg.conf
(X does not start with this option)

Xorg.0.log.old is with "nv" in xorg.conf

I have emerged nvidia-kernel && nvidia-glx
opengl-update nvidia

nvidia is in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

Incidentally when I tried this card in my working PC X did not start either.
(I had thought of swapping cards so my fanless 5200 could be used in the
MythTV box)

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 13:23:15 +1300
Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 12:43 pm, Steve Hodge wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes that is what I thought but X does not start with that option.
> > >
> > > I could post /var/log/Xorg.0.log if you really want.
> >
> > Might be an idea - I don't think the nv (open source) driver supports
> > twinview.
>
> OK here they are.
>
> Xorg.0.log is with "nvidia" in xorg.conf
> (X does not start with this option)
>
> Xorg.0.log.old is with "nv" in xorg.conf
>
> I have emerged nvidia-kernel && nvidia-glx
> opengl-update nvidia
>
> nvidia is in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
>
> Incidentally when I tried this card in my working PC X did not start either.
> (I had thought of swapping cards so my fanless 5200 could be used in the
> MythTV box)

When running the nvidia driver, did you rememebr to have "load dri"
commented out and "load glx" in the config?

I mean its all here http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml but
its easy to miss a step :-)

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 5:51 pm, Nick Rout wrote:

> When running the nvidia driver, did you rememebr to have "load dri"
> commented out and "load glx" in the config?

No I had this wrong but after folowing the guide it still does not work.

I am going to put the card from my PC in to the MythTV box when I get some
more time and give it a try.

Google tells me that I am noit the first person to have trouble with this
card.

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On 12/4/05, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
> Xorg.0.log is with "nvidia" in xorg.conf
> (X does not start with this option)

It's saying the kernel part of the nvidia driver isn't working.

> Xorg.0.log.old is with "nv" in xorg.conf

That one definitely doesn't know how to do twinview setups (says the
options are unknown).

> I have emerged nvidia-kernel && nvidia-glx
> opengl-update nvidia
>
> nvidia is in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

Did you run modules-update after updating the file in /etc/modules.autoload.d/ ?

Have you tried manually loading nvidia with modprobe before running X?
If you do that you might see something in the kernel log via dmesg to
explain why it's not working.

Steve

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 08:57:32 +1300
Steve Hodge wrote:

> On 12/4/05, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
> > Xorg.0.log is with "nvidia" in xorg.conf
> > (X does not start with this option)
>
> It's saying the kernel part of the nvidia driver isn't working.
>
> > Xorg.0.log.old is with "nv" in xorg.conf
>
> That one definitely doesn't know how to do twinview setups (says the
> options are unknown).
>
> > I have emerged nvidia-kernel && nvidia-glx
> > opengl-update nvidia
> >
> > nvidia is in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
>
> Did you run modules-update after updating the file in /etc/modules.autoload.d/ ?
>
> Have you tried manually loading nvidia with modprobe before running X?
> If you do that you might see something in the kernel log via dmesg to
> explain why it's not working.
>
> Steve

better still does lsmod report that the nvidia module is actually
loaded?

I vaguely recall having to manually load it using modprobe when using
each new version of nvidia-kernel. - the first time anyway.

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 9:59 pm, Robert Fisher wrote:

> I am going to put the card from my PC in to the MythTV box when I get some
> more time and give it a try.
>
> Google tells me that I am noit the first person to have trouble with this
> card.

Good news (for me).

Tried my GeForce FX 5200 (from my PC) in the MythTV box and it just worked
fine - including the clone to the Plasma TV.

Be warned - stay away from the NV28 [GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP 8x
It seems that I am not the only person who has struggled with that card.

We should have our new fanless "component out" nvidia card tonight.