Mailing List Archive

OK - here we go!
This new list has encouraged me to get started with MythTV (after much
procrastination - I have had other things to do - finishing a new house,
landscaping, starting a new business).

Nick Rout gave a MythTV presentation at one of our Canterbury LUG meetings
this year and I decided then that I would do it.

We have a box used for playing media to our Plasma TV (eat your heart out
Nick). First step is to decide wether to keep the same case or not. If it
cannot be made quieter I may have to buy a new case.

Is Hauppauge PVR-250 / PVR-350 the way to go? My usual supplier only seems to
show 150's on their website.

I will be using Gentoo. We already use Gentoo at home for our server, my PC
and up to 3 LTSP clients.

--
Regards, Robert

Robert Fisher
(aka - Rob, Bob, Robbie, Robbo, Fish)
FishNet Computer & Electrical Services
www.fisher.net.nz
Phone: 03 383 5807
Mobile: 027 477 3356

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]

>Is Hauppauge PVR-250 / PVR-350 the way to go? My usual supplier only seems to
>show 150's on their website.

I personally think the 350 is overkill (experience talking) as I
ended up not using the video out on my one. Although the remote it
comes with was relatively easy to get going.

How do you plan on connecting to the Plasma?

- Wade

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 8:04 am, Wade Maxfield wrote:
> >Is Hauppauge PVR-250 / PVR-350 the way to go? My usual supplier only seems
> > to show 150's on their website.
>
> I personally think the 350 is overkill (experience talking) as I
> ended up not using the video out on my one. Although the remote it
> comes with was relatively easy to get going.
>
> How do you plan on connecting to the Plasma?

At the moment we use the S-Video output from the graphics card.

I should rephrase my question.

My local supplier is DragonPC. When I searched their site for Haupage I got
the following....
http://dragonpc.co.nz/search.aspx?kw=hauppauge&search.x=39&search.y=7&search=search

They all sat "wintv". Are they suitable?

Can someone recommend a local supplier (Christchurch) for a suitable card?

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On 12/1/05, Wade Maxfield <mythtvnz@hotblack.co.nz> wrote:
> >Is Hauppauge PVR-250 / PVR-350 the way to go? My usual supplier only seems to
> >show 150's on their website.
>
> I personally think the 350 is overkill (experience talking) as I
> ended up not using the video out on my one. Although the remote it
> comes with was relatively easy to get going.
>
> How do you plan on connecting to the Plasma?

Yes, there is not much point in using the 350's video out with a
plasma. You really want to use a non-interlaced mode with a plasma or
lcd TV. I use an FX5200 with mine, connected with VGA (haven't got
round to trying DVI because the VGA signal is already very good
quality).

Steve

RE: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
I have found the 350 to have the best TV out. I watch a lot of sports so I
and have found it is the fast motion which highlights the differences of
cards. I have used NVidia cards with TV out, NVidia cards on the monitor,
the Xbox, the EPIA mini ITX M10K (using the HW Decoder), and the Hauppauge
PVR-350.

I would have to say the 350, then the M10K had the best quality (for me)

Regards,
Gary Te Young

@Home Downunder Ltd
www.athomedownunder.com

New Zealand-----Original Message-----

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 8:04 am, Wade Maxfield wrote:

> My local supplier is DragonPC. When I searched their site for Haupage I
> got the following....
> http://dragonpc.co.nz/search.aspx?kw=hauppauge&search.x=39&search.y=7&search=search
>
> They all sat "wintv". Are they suitable?

Yes, they're all PVR cards. There's a winTV express card that is a dumb
frame-buffer. IE it uses the CPU to compress to mpeg, and hence requires
a decent CPU.

Hauppauge WinTV PVR150MCE TV/FM Tuner OEM *Watch TV with dbx-TV Stereo
*Record TV to disk with time shift & scheduler *Includes FM Radio Antenna
*OEM Packaged Stock Nil $131.76

Hauppauge WinTV PVR150MCE TV/FM Tuner Retail *Watch TV with dbx-TV Stereo
*Record TV to disk with time shift & scheduler *Includes FM Radio Antenna
*Retail box includes Remote Control & IR Receiver Stock Low $185.52
Hauppauge WinTV PVR150MCE-LP TV/FM Tuner OEM *Low Profile PCI card *Watch
TV with dbx-TV Stereo *Record TV to disk with time shift & scheduler *OEM
Packaged Stock Low $149.00

Don't you dare going for USB - we'll disown you if you do :)

> Can someone recommend a local supplier (Christchurch) for a suitable card?

www.ascent.co.nz not Christchurch, but free overnight courier makes that
a non-issue. Also 2% off for direct credit payment.

http://www.ascent.co.nz/HardwareCategory.aspx?catname=DV+%26+video+capture

WinTV-PVR-150MCE TV Tuner, FM Radio, PCI, OEM $134.75 INC GST

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 9:00 am, criggie@criggie.dyndns.org wrote:

> > They all say "wintv". Are they suitable?
>
> Yes, they're all PVR cards. There's a winTV express card that is a dumb
> frame-buffer. IE it uses the CPU to compress to mpeg, and hence requires
> a decent CPU.

Thanks Craig,

The "Win" in WinTV scared me a little.

RE: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
>I have found the 350 to have the best TV out. I watch a lot of sports so I
>and have found it is the fast motion which highlights the differences of
>cards. I have used NVidia cards with TV out, NVidia cards on the monitor,
>the Xbox, the EPIA mini ITX M10K (using the HW Decoder), and the Hauppauge
>PVR-350.
>
>I would have to say the 350, then the M10K had the best quality (for me)

How tricky was it to get the M10K set up with Myth? Thinking about
one as tunerless FE, with DVD playback...

- Wade

RE: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
>How tricky was it to get the M10K set up with Myth? Thinking about
>one as tunerless FE, with DVD playback...

Was going alright until they moved supporting the output from Myth to X
windows. Was hoping FC2 (using the rpm version of apt) would be an easy
update to get this going again but no such luck. I haven't had time to play
around with this and it is currently at my friends places in Australia (I
was working over there for a little while)

Regards,
Gary Te Young

@Home Downunder Ltd
www.athomedownunder.com

RE: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
Hi Gary,

The last time I tried using the PVR-350's video output, I was impressed
with the picture quality. However, the driver had a delay of about 2
seconds while the buffer filled before it started playing. Even trying to
watch live TV through Myth had the delay every time I changed the
channel. Granted, this was about a year ago, but the driver wiki stated
that this was a necessary design element and it didn't sound like it was
going to change any time soon.

Is the delay still there? If so, the video output is out of the question
for me, and I might as well have gotten a PVR-250 instead.

- Dagan

RE: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
Dagan Galarneau wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> The last time I tried using the PVR-350's video output, I was
> impressed with the picture quality. However, the driver had a delay
> of about 2 seconds while the buffer filled before it started playing.
> Even trying to watch live TV through Myth had the delay every time I
> changed the channel. Granted, this was about a year ago, but the
> driver wiki stated that this was a necessary design element and it
> didn't sound like it was going to change any time soon.

Are you sure it's the driver? Live TV on Myth is deliberately buffered two
seconds, so you can pause/rewind it. I recall if you are looking at the
time, or you pause as soon as you start playing, you see it on '00:02:00'.

Craig

RE: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
Hi Dagan,

>The last time I tried using the PVR-350's video output, I was impressed
>with the picture quality. However, the driver had a delay of about 2
>seconds while the buffer filled before it started playing.

Yes there is still a delay, but Craig is right, this is to buffer the
program you are watching. I don't know how much live TV you watch but I
found I was watching less and less of live TV and recording the shows I
actually wanted to watch.

I think the only live programs I would watch are live events such as the
football. Apart from this, why watch live TV? A 1 hour show is actually 40
mins long so rather than watching the show straight away, I watch a recorded
half hour show. The half hour show is actually 20 minutes long and when
that is finished I then watch the 1 hour show which is now 20 minutes into
the program. I then catch up to realtime at the end of the show having
watched an extra show and all with no ads. Not bad for only having to wait
4 seconds don't you think? :)

Regards,
Gary Te Young

@Home Downunder Ltd
www.athomedownunder.com

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 08:15:23 +1300
Robert Fisher wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 8:04 am, Wade Maxfield wrote:
> > >Is Hauppauge PVR-250 / PVR-350 the way to go? My usual supplier only seems
> > > to show 150's on their website.
> >
> > I personally think the 350 is overkill (experience talking) as I
> > ended up not using the video out on my one. Although the remote it
> > comes with was relatively easy to get going.
> >
> > How do you plan on connecting to the Plasma?
>
> At the moment we use the S-Video output from the graphics card.
>
> I should rephrase my question.
>
> My local supplier is DragonPC. When I searched their site for Haupage I got
> the following....
> http://dragonpc.co.nz/search.aspx?kw=hauppauge&search.x=39&search.y=7&search=search
>
> They all sat "wintv". Are they suitable?

Not all of them no. Avoid the USB one. The others should be fine.
(except that hauppauge, along with other manufacturers, are apt to
change the chipsets but still call the card by the same name. YMMV - but
if you use the latest drivers they should all work.)

> Can someone recommend a local supplier (Christchurch) for a suitable card?

You found one by the look of it. So the hauppauge will dope with getting video into your computer, in mpeg2 format too. The rest of the answer
you quoted above, ie

> > I personally think the 350 is overkill (experience talking) as I
> > ended up not using the video out on my one

related to getting video out and onto the tv. the 350 has a mpeg2
DEcoder, saving your cpu from decoding the mpeg2 stream. Also most of
the later nVidia cards have mpeg2 decoding built in, so that can be used to lower cpu usage.

Also relevant: what inputs does your TV have?

Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 9:18 am, Nick Rout wrote:

Hauppauge WinTV PVR 150 MCE card from Ascent arrived this morning.

> Also relevant: what inputs does your TV have?

S-video, composite, HDTV

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On 12/2/05, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 9:18 am, Nick Rout wrote:
>
> Hauppauge WinTV PVR 150 MCE card from Ascent arrived this morning.
> >
> > Also relevant: what inputs does your TV have?
> >
> S-video, composite, HDTV

HDTV? Do you mean component? Or VGA/RGB? Or DVI? Or HDMI?

Steve

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 10:12 am, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 12/2/05, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
> > On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 9:18 am, Nick Rout wrote:
> >
> > Hauppauge WinTV PVR 150 MCE card from Ascent arrived this morning.
> >
> > > Also relevant: what inputs does your TV have?
> >
> > S-video, composite, HDTV
>
> HDTV? Do you mean component? Or VGA/RGB? Or DVI? Or HDMI?

Sorry, should be:-

VGA (only on front of unit)
Component, S-video on the back.

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 7:13 am, Robert Fisher wrote:
> This new list has encouraged me to get started with MythTV (after much
> procrastination - I have had other things to do - finishing a new house,
> landscaping, starting a new business).

Well we are on the way.

Gentoo installed and MythTV starts. It needs to be set up but that will be
later.

I do have a problem with my xorg file though as I cannot seem to get the TV
working from the Composite output of the video card. (Hardware is OK because
it worked with windows.)

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On 12/3/05, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
> I do have a problem with my xorg file though as I cannot seem to get the TV
> working from the Composite output of the video card. (Hardware is OK because
> it worked with windows.)

I'll take a look if you want to post your xorg.conf.

Steve

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 18:12:24 +1300
Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:

> I do have a problem with my xorg file though as I cannot seem to get the TV
> working from the Composite output of the video card. (Hardware is OK because
> it worked with windows.)

What sort of card is it?

wouldn't you be better with the VGA input anyway?

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 7:24 pm, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 12/3/05, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
> > I do have a problem with my xorg file though as I cannot seem to get the
> > TV working from the Composite output of the video card. (Hardware is OK
> > because it worked with windows.)
>
> I'll take a look if you want to post your xorg.conf.

Thanks Steve.

Apologies for not shortening it for you. She who must be obeyed is asking me
to hurry up and start painting.

_______________________________

# File generated by xorgconfig.

#
# Copyright 2004 The X.Org Foundation
#
# Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
# copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
# to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
# the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
# and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
# Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
#
# The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
# all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
#
# THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
# IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
# FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL
# The X.Org Foundation BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY,
# WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF
# OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
# SOFTWARE.
#
# Except as contained in this notice, the name of The X.Org Foundation shall
# not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other
# dealings in this Software without prior written authorization from
# The X.Org Foundation.
#

# **********************************************************************
# Refer to the xorg.conf(5x) man page for details about the format of
# this file.
# **********************************************************************

# **********************************************************************
# Module section -- this section is used to specify
# which dynamically loadable modules to load.
# **********************************************************************
#
Section "Module"

# This loads the DBE extension module.

Load "dbe" # Double buffer extension

# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
SubSection "extmod"
Option "omit xfree86-dga" # don't initialise the DGA extension
EndSubSection

# This loads the font modules
Load "type1"
# Load "speedo"
Load "freetype"
# Load "xtt"

# This loads the GLX module
Load "glx"
# This loads the DRI module
Load "dri"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Files section. This allows default font and rgb paths to be set
# **********************************************************************

Section "Files"

# The location of the RGB database. Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db"). There is normally
# no need to change the default.

RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (which are concatenated together),
# as well as specifying multiple comma-separated entries in one FontPath
# command (or a combination of both methods)
#
#

FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
# FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/CID/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/local/"
# FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Speedo/"
# FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/TrueType/"
# FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/freefont/"

# The module search path. The default path is shown here.

# ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
#next line uncommented by robert
ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Server flags section.
# **********************************************************************

Section "ServerFlags"

# Uncomment this to cause a core dump at the spot where a signal is
# received. This may leave the console in an unusable state, but may
# provide a better stack trace in the core dump to aid in debugging

# Option "NoTrapSignals"

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><Fn> VT switch sequence
# (where n is 1 through 12). This allows clients to receive these key
# events.

# Option "DontVTSwitch"

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><BS> server abort sequence
# This allows clients to receive this key event.

# Option "DontZap"

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> mode switching
# sequences. This allows clients to receive these key events.

# Option "Dont Zoom"

# Uncomment this to disable tuning with the xvidtune client. With
# it the client can still run and fetch card and monitor attributes,
# but it will not be allowed to change them. If it tries it will
# receive a protocol error.

# Option "DisableVidModeExtension"

# Uncomment this to enable the use of a non-local xvidtune client.

# Option "AllowNonLocalXvidtune"

# Uncomment this to disable dynamically modifying the input device
# (mouse and keyboard) settings.

# Option "DisableModInDev"

# Uncomment this to enable the use of a non-local client to
# change the keyboard or mouse settings (currently only xset).

# Option "AllowNonLocalModInDev"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Input devices
# **********************************************************************

# **********************************************************************
# Core keyboard's InputDevice section
# **********************************************************************

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Keyboard1"
Driver "kbd"

# For most OSs the protocol can be omitted (it defaults to "Standard").
# When using XQUEUE (only for SVR3 and SVR4, but not Solaris),
# uncomment the following line.

# Option "Protocol" "Xqueue"

Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
# Option "Xleds" "1 2 3"

# Option "LeftAlt" "Meta"
# Option "RightAlt" "ModeShift"

# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults). For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
# Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
# Option "XkbModel" "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# or:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
# Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"

# These are the default XKB settings for Xorg
# Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
# Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
# Option "XkbLayout" "us"
# Option "XkbVariant" ""
# Option "XkbOptions" ""

# Option "XkbDisable"

Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc101"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Core Pointer's InputDevice section
# **********************************************************************

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

# Mouse-speed setting for PS/2 mouse.

# Option "Resolution" "256"

# When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment
# the following line.

# Option "Protocol" "Xqueue"

# Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice. In
# almost every case these lines should be omitted.

# Option "BaudRate" "9600"
# Option "SampleRate" "150"

# Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice
# Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)

Option "Emulate3Buttons"
# Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"

# ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice

# Option "ChordMiddle"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Other input device sections
# this is optional and is required only if you
# are using extended input devices. This is for example only. Refer
# to the xorg.conf man page for a description of the options.
# **********************************************************************
#
# Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "Mouse2"
# Driver "mouse"
# Option "Protocol" "MouseMan"
# Option "Device" "/dev/mouse2"
# EndSection
#
# Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "spaceball"
# Driver "magellan"
# Option "Device" "/dev/cua0"
# EndSection
#
# Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "spaceball2"
# Driver "spaceorb"
# Option "Device" "/dev/cua0"
# EndSection
#
# Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "touchscreen0"
# Driver "microtouch"
# Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
# Option "MinX" "1412"
# Option "MaxX" "15184"
# Option "MinY" "15372"
# Option "MaxY" "1230"
# Option "ScreenNumber" "0"
# Option "ReportingMode" "Scaled"
# Option "ButtonNumber" "1"
# Option "SendCoreEvents"
# EndSection
#
# Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "touchscreen1"
# Driver "elo2300"
# Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
# Option "MinX" "231"
# Option "MaxX" "3868"
# Option "MinY" "3858"
# Option "MaxY" "272"
# Option "ScreenNumber" "0"
# Option "ReportingMode" "Scaled"
# Option "ButtonThreshold" "17"
# Option "ButtonNumber" "1"
# Option "SendCoreEvents"
# EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Monitor section
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of monitor sections may be present

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "My Monitor"

# HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
# HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY. REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

HorizSync 31.5 - 64.3

# HorizSync 30-64 # multisync
# HorizSync 31.5, 35.2 # multiple fixed sync frequencies
# HorizSync 15-25, 30-50 # multiple ranges of sync frequencies

# VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
# VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY. REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

VertRefresh 50-100

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Graphics device section
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of graphics device sections may be present

# Standard VGA Device:

#4 lines commented by robert
Section "Device"
Identifier "Standard VGA"
VendorName "Unknown"
BoardName "Unknown"

# The chipset line is optional in most cases. It can be used to override
# the driver's chipset detection, and should not normally be specified.

# Chipset "generic"

# The Driver line must be present. When using run-time loadable driver
# modules, this line instructs the server to load the specified driver
# module. Even when not using loadable driver modules, this line
# indicates which driver should interpret the information in this section.

#1 lines commented by robert

Driver "vga"
# The BusID line is used to specify which of possibly multiple devices
# this section is intended for. When this line isn't present, a device
# section can only match up with the primary video device. For PCI
# devices a line like the following could be used. This line should not
# normally be included unless there is more than one video device
# intalled.

# BusID "PCI:0:10:0"

# VideoRam 256

# Clocks 25.2 28.3

EndSection

# Device configured by xorgconfig:

Section "Device"
Identifier "NVIDIA GeForce"
Driver "nv"
# Identifier "Card0"
# Driver "nv"
VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
# BoardName "GeForce FX 5200"
BoardName "NV28 [GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP 8x]"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Option "NvAGP" "1"
Option "RenderAccel" "True"
Option "TwinView" "True"
Option "MetaModes" "1024x768, 1024x768; 800x600,
800x600;"
Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-50"
Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "50-100"
Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE" #orS-VIDEO #or Composite etc
Option "TVStandard" "PAL-G" #or NTSC etc
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT, TV"

VideoRam 131072
# Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Screen sections
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of screen sections may be present. Each describes
# the configuration of a single screen. A single specific screen section
# may be specified from the X server command line with the "-screen"
# option.
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen 1"
Device "NVIDIA GeForce"
Monitor "My Monitor"
DefaultDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
ViewPort 0 0
EndSubsection
Subsection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
ViewPort 0 0
EndSubsection
Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
ViewPort 0 0
EndSubsection
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# ServerLayout sections.
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of ServerLayout sections may be present. Each describes
# the way multiple screens are organised. A specific ServerLayout
# section may be specified from the X server command line with the
# "-layout" option. In the absence of this, the first section is used.
# When now ServerLayout section is present, the first Screen section
# is used alone.

Section "ServerLayout"

# The Identifier line must be present
Identifier "Simple Layout"

# Each Screen line specifies a Screen section name, and optionally
# the relative position of other screens. The four names after
# primary screen name are the screens to the top, bottom, left and right
# of the primary screen. In this example, screen 2 is located to the
# right of screen 1.

Screen "Screen 1"

# Each InputDevice line specifies an InputDevice section name and
# optionally some options to specify the way the device is to be
# used. Those options include "CorePointer", "CoreKeyboard" and
# "SendCoreEvents".

InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

EndSection

# Section "DRI"
# Mode 0666
# EndSection

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 8:47 am, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 18:12:24 +1300
>
> Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
> > I do have a problem with my xorg file though as I cannot seem to get the
> > TV working from the Composite output of the video card. (Hardware is OK
> > because it worked with windows.)
>
> What sort of card is it?

nVidia Corporation NV28 [GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP 8x]

> wouldn't you be better with the VGA input anyway?

Probably but I do not have one of those leads and in the long term it is
probably not ideal as the VGA input is only on the front of the TV set.

I was hoping to use the same setup as I use will my PC - simply cloning using
Nvidia twinview.
I now think that my problem may be to do with Nvidia not loading but I have to
do the painting now.

Rob

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On 12/4/05, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "NVIDIA GeForce"
> Option "MetaModes" "1024x768, 1024x768; 800x600,
> 800x600;"
> Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-50"
> Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "50-100"
> Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
> Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE" #orS-VIDEO #or Composite etc
> Option "TVStandard" "PAL-G" #or NTSC etc
> Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT, TV"

The only thing that looks like it might be a problem is the
SecondMonitorVertRefresh. Do you know if your TV can handle 100Hz
refreshes? X will use the highest refresh it thinks your output device
can handle so it's probably trying to send 100Hz signals to the TV.
Try changing that setting to "50-60" or just "50" or "60".

Steve

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On 12/4/05, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
> nVidia Corporation NV28 [GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP 8x]

I've got one of those. The TV out was significantly worse on that than
on my newer GeForce 5200FX.

> Probably but I do not have one of those leads and in the long term it is
> probably not ideal as the VGA input is only on the front of the TV set.

The cable you can get for Dick Smith fairly cheaply. Having the input
on the front is unfortunate asthetically, but I think you'll find the
picture quality is much better with VGA.

What model TV is it, btw?

Steve

Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 08:47 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 18:12:24 +1300
> Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
>
> > I do have a problem with my xorg file though as I cannot seem to get the TV
> > working from the Composite output of the video card. (Hardware is OK because
> > it worked with windows.)
>
> What sort of card is it?
>
> wouldn't you be better with the VGA input anyway?

VGA input on most TVs is pretty poor. It's either not fully overscanned,
or the conversion isn't as good as most graphics cards I've seen.

I run my card at 720x576 (ie, visible PAL) with correct overscanning,
output over SVideo. Works really well, although only some TV chips will
do it.

--
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Team Leader, Systems Administration
Re: OK - here we go! [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 9:25 am, Steve Hodge wrote:

> What model TV is it, btw?

Panasonic Viera