Mailing List Archive

(newbie) my experience so far...
I got through the installation of 0.6 up to the point of running mythtv.
It says "Couldn't find Xv support, exiting." However my XFree86.0.log
contains

(II) Loading extension XVideo
(II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation

and I'd think that's what it's wanting?

xawtv works too.

A second question (less important): how do you change mysql permission
so another user can read the database? I installed myth as root but
want to run as another user.

I'm running Debian, mostly updated to sid, on a dual Celeron 366 system.

I had a hard time building lame on this machine; I think maybe the
latest bash is broken, based on the build errors I was getting. Shell
scripts which take options and extract them in a case statement aren't
parsing them properly. So I built a debian package of lame on another
machine and installed that.

Anybody using gcc 3.2 yet? It might result in some optimizations.

--
_______ Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD ecloud@bigfoot.com
(_ | |_) http://ecloud.org kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org
RE: (newbie) my experience so far... [ In reply to ]
Re: (newbie) my experience so far... [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 06 November 2002 03:39 am, Shawn Rutledge wrote:
> I got through the installation of 0.6 up to the point of running mythtv.
> It says "Couldn't find Xv support, exiting." However my XFree86.0.log
> contains
>
> (II) Loading extension XVideo
> (II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
>
> and I'd think that's what it's wanting?

Saying the extension is loaded doesn't mean that support's there.
If you run 'xvinfo', you'll get something of the same message -- 'no adaptors
present' or something like that. Basically, your video card (or at least the
driver) doesn't support the output method mythtv uses.

> xawtv works too.
>
> A second question (less important): how do you change mysql permission
> so another user can read the database? I installed myth as root but
> want to run as another user.

That doesn't matter. Creating the database creates a mythtv user, which
anything that has access to the mysql.txt settings file can connect to it.

> Anybody using gcc 3.2 yet? It might result in some optimizations.

You'd have to recompile Qt (and anything else that depends on it) if you're
using Debian and wanted to compile mythtv using gcc 3.2.

Isaac
Re: (newbie) my experience so far... [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:39:06AM -0700, Shawn Rutledge wrote:

> I had a hard time building lame on this machine; I think maybe the
> latest bash is broken, based on the build errors I was getting.

The latest bash is not broken, though there was one version which was. If
your bash is broken, it is not the latest bash.

--
- mdz
Re: (newbie) my experience so far... [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 10:25:37AM -0500, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 November 2002 03:39 am, Shawn Rutledge wrote:
> > I got through the installation of 0.6 up to the point of running mythtv.
> > It says "Couldn't find Xv support, exiting." However my XFree86.0.log
> > contains
> >
> > (II) Loading extension XVideo
> > (II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
> >
> > and I'd think that's what it's wanting?
>
> Saying the extension is loaded doesn't mean that support's there.
> If you run 'xvinfo', you'll get something of the same message -- 'no adaptors
> present' or something like that. Basically, your video card (or at least the
> driver) doesn't support the output method mythtv uses.

Yep, sure enough. I have an nvidia card; so I got their proprietary
driver and kernel module installed, but XVideo still didn't work. The
reason? I had to go into the BIOS and enable an interrupt for the card.
I never needed an interrupt for a video card before.

That would be good info for the FAQ IMHO. (you need XVideo, and possible
things to check if it doesn't work...)

I have MythTV working basically, but it's too slow, and I think my hard
drive is the reason. Despite being SCSI UW, it's only giving about 7.5
MB/sec read speed according to hdparm. Pathetic huh? And it's too
small anyway so I'll get a new one before I get serious about recording
video on that machine. But last night I overclocked the machine to see
if it would help, and then left it running MythTV; and this morning it
was in some kind of comatose state, so I will have to get it booting
again.