Mailing List Archive

Feature Idea: Closed caption extraction and text search, skip to quote
Hello,

Just found this project and mailing list through a link on Slashdot.
Looks great and I can't wait to put some hardware together and try it out!

Does mythtv support closed captioned text? If so, I wonder if anyone has
considered implementing this feature:

Extract the closed caption text from each program and store it along
with appropriate index information in a text file.

Then, implement a text search feature that will find all occurrances of
a word or phrase and display them in a list along with the program name
and time the phrase appeared. Selecting an occurance will start playing
the program and scene from that point.

As far as I know, no PVR has anything like this. It would make it easy
to find your favorite quote from a movie, jump ahead to the Weather
forecast in today's news broadcast, etc.

One could also extract and view or email a complete program summary
based on the closed caption text.

What do you think?

Dan Schwarz
http://www.winecentric.com/wiki/
Re: Feature Idea: Closed caption extraction and text search, skip to quote [ In reply to ]
On Monday 04 November 2002 12:10 pm, Dan Schwarz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just found this project and mailing list through a link on Slashdot.
> Looks great and I can't wait to put some hardware together and try it out!
>
> Does mythtv support closed captioned text? If so, I wonder if anyone has
> considered implementing this feature:
>
> Extract the closed caption text from each program and store it along
> with appropriate index information in a text file.
>
> Then, implement a text search feature that will find all occurrances of
> a word or phrase and display them in a list along with the program name
> and time the phrase appeared. Selecting an occurance will start playing
> the program and scene from that point.
>
> As far as I know, no PVR has anything like this. It would make it easy
> to find your favorite quote from a movie, jump ahead to the Weather
> forecast in today's news broadcast, etc.
>
> One could also extract and view or email a complete program summary
> based on the closed caption text.
>
> What do you think?

I've thought about doing this, actually. I just haven't had time yet. I do
think it'd be an excellent feature, though, so if anyone wants to do it....
=)

Also -- don't catch what someone said in a show, seek back, turn on the CC
display, etc, would be fairly neat.

Isaac
Re: Feature Idea: Closed caption extraction and text search, skip to quote [ In reply to ]
> On Monday 04 November 2002 12:10 pm, Dan Schwarz wrote:

>> Does mythtv support closed captioned text? If so, I wonder if anyone has
>> [...]
>> One could also extract and view or email a complete program summary
>> based on the closed caption text.

> Also -- don't catch what someone said in a show, seek back, turn on
> the CC display, etc, would be fairly neat.

And one could straightforwardly weed out duplicate episodes without
being limited by the details in the tv guide data.

CC's might also be another source for commercial boundary information;
often one or the other isn't captioned. Although I suspect the
presence or absence of CC data may not be so clear...

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor@picante.com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
Linux Printing Website and HOWTO: http://www.linuxprinting.org/