Mailing List Archive

channel changing on motorola DCT2000H
Anyone have a schematic for building a IR transmitter that can be used with
Shaw's Digital Cable Box, the DCT2000? I am looking at the LIRC site

http://www.lirc.org

and they have a few circuits there, just not sure which of them is the
easiest/simplest to use. The unit does have a serial port on the back, but
in the manual it is listed as a data access port and a connection to a high
speed serial data interface for HDTV. It explicitly states one shouldn't hook

a pc up to it.

Basically what I want to do is have mythtv

http://www.mythtv.org

change the channels and record the shows of my choosing. I know some of the
sattellite cable boxes can be controlled via the serial port, it seems this
one can't, so I am left with an IR transmitter.

Also,just curious what commercial serial port transmitters people are use
under similar circumstances, hopefully which are available locally in
Vancouver.
--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting
Re: channel changing on motorola DCT2000H [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 08:12:19AM -0800, Harondel J. Sibble wrote:

> Anyone have a schematic for building a IR transmitter that can be used
> with Shaw's Digital Cable Box, the DCT2000? I am looking at the LIRC site
>
> http://www.lirc.org
>
> and they have a few circuits there, just not sure which of them is the
> easiest/simplest to use. The unit does have a serial port on the back,
> but in the manual it is listed as a data access port and a connection to a
> high speed serial data interface for HDTV. It explicitly states one
> shouldn't hook
> a pc up to it.

I have the same unit, but without the serial port or any of the other
optional goodies (including S-video output, unfortunately). I just started
working on controlling it, and am planning to use the onboard IrDA on my
motherboard if possible, using lirc_sir. This is supposed to work up to a
range of about 1 meter, which should be plenty if I can get a long enough
dongle.

I'm currently experimenting with the built-in IrDA on my laptop, which last
night I got to the point of being able to transmit signals, but was not able
to test controlling the unit (the laptop has no battery, and was in the
wrong room, and it was late...). Hopefully I should have some results soon.

> Also,just curious what commercial serial port transmitters people are use
> under similar circumstances, hopefully which are available locally in
> Vancouver.

You may already have IrDA hardware, though you may have to find a dongle for
it (not easy, I am still looking for mine). According to the information I
have read, controlling consumer IR devices works OK with some irda hardware
devices and not with others; you will have to try and see.

--
- mdz
Re: channel changing on motorola DCT2000H [ In reply to ]
On 4 Nov 2002 at 13:17, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> I have the same unit, but without the serial port or any of the other
> optional goodies (including S-video output, unfortunately). I just started
Bummer!

> motherboard if possible, using lirc_sir. This is supposed to work up to a
> range of about 1 meter, which should be plenty if I can get a long enough
> dongle.
I'd considered going this route, however can't seem to get any ir dongles for
the motherboard from the manufacturer (epox).

> I'm currently experimenting with the built-in IrDA on my laptop, which last
> night I got to the point of being able to transmit signals, but was not able
> to test controlling the unit (the laptop has no battery, and was in the wrong
> room, and it was late...). Hopefully I should have some results soon.
I thought about that, and I have an extra laptop that could do the deed,
however, IIRC, none of my laptops have the appropriate chip for this to work.
However it's been like a year since I last looked at this, so maybe time to
revisit it.

I have 1 other option as I can see, using a palm pilot hooked up via serial
(to the pc) cable and the omniremote software and some scripting, have the
palm do the tuning.

Last option would be something similar but involved hacking my Radio Shack
Easy VCR Programmer remote to run off the pc. Since it's built in calendar
stops at Dec 31 2001, it's not much good for programming anymore.

> You may already have IrDA hardware, though you may have to find a dongle for
> it (not easy, I am still looking for mine). According to the information I
I assume you mean for you the motherboard right?

> have read, controlling consumer IR devices works OK with some irda hardware
> devices and not with others; you will have to try and see.
May play with that later this week, I have a USB FIR dongle (Xtended Systems)
that I've been wanting to test this out with for a while. Hopefully it has
the right IR chipset to allow this.

Re: channel changing on motorola DCT2000H [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 10:47:54AM -0800, Harondel J. Sibble wrote:

> On 4 Nov 2002 at 13:17, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > motherboard if possible, using lirc_sir. This is supposed to work up to a
> > range of about 1 meter, which should be plenty if I can get a long enough
> > dongle.
> I'd considered going this route, however can't seem to get any ir dongles for
> the motherboard from the manufacturer (epox).

I have been looking, and someone recently posted to the list about Actisys.
They have a unit:

http://www.actisys.com/act210.html

which connects to a motherboard IR connector and provides a "blaster" style
IR device which could be attached to the front of the tuner. I am thinking
about getting one of these. It is USD$35 from Actisys, and I have not been
able to find it elsewhere. The serial version (200L) is only USD$25 from
these guys:

http://store.yahoo.com/snapstreammedia/irblasbun.html

so that may be a better option if I cannot find the 210L.

> > I'm currently experimenting with the built-in IrDA on my laptop, which
> > last night I got to the point of being able to transmit signals, but was
> > not able to test controlling the unit (the laptop has no battery, and
> > was in the wrong room, and it was late...). Hopefully I should have
> > some results soon.
> I thought about that, and I have an extra laptop that could do the deed,
> however, IIRC, none of my laptops have the appropriate chip for this to
> work. However it's been like a year since I last looked at this, so maybe
> time to revisit it.

I cannot dedicate this laptop to that job, and it is too big and requires
additional networking, etc. I am really hoping to use the IrDA that I have
onboard, or use a serial adapter if that cannot work.

> I have 1 other option as I can see, using a palm pilot hooked up via serial
> (to the pc) cable and the omniremote software and some scripting, have the
> palm do the tuning.

I thought about using my Zaurus for that, but it is a waste of a PDA to sit
there and change channels.

> > have read, controlling consumer IR devices works OK with some irda
> > hardware devices and not with others; you will have to try and see.
> May play with that later this week, I have a USB FIR dongle (Xtended
> Systems) that I've been wanting to test this out with for a while.
> Hopefully it has the right IR chipset to allow this.

Let me know if it works.

--
- mdz