Just wondering. I guess it's time to dust off the serial reciever I built a
couple of years ago.

Randy
Re: Hauppage remotes [ In reply to ]
You could probably use your own TV or whatever remote, since LIRC is
indifferent if the IR receiver works..

Re: Hauppage remotes [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 29 October 2002 07:50 pm, tarek Lubani wrote:
> You could probably use your own TV or whatever remote, since LIRC is
> indifferent if the IR receiver works..

Yeah I know. I'm REALLY lazy though :-). Like I mentioned, I do have a
homebrew serial reciever I could use, and in the end it would give me much
more flexibility, but hey that laziness thing keeps coming into play.

I actually have a really nice sony rm-60 remote that would be perfect, I used
it for years. But I lost the config files for it, and since it is a
'universal' remote I've forgotten what type of tv, cd-player, tuner, etc I
told lirc it was when I set it up. I just want to avoid setting up lirc for
it. I've had trouble with lirc and devfs for a while now, although mdk 9
comes with lirc (happy surprise!).

Thanks though. I'll get into it this weekend. I've got enough funtionality
from the hauppauge remote to be able to watch tv etc.

Is there a list somewhere of the current key commands that myth understands?
That would really help when building the lircrc file.

Have a nice evening...

Randy
Re: Hauppage remotes [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 29 October 2002 10:44 pm, Randy Page wrote:
> Is there a list somewhere of the current key commands that myth
> understands? That would really help when building the lircrc file.

Actually, it'd probably be nice to go through and sanitize all the key
commands, make sure they're all consistant, and maybe make 'em configurable,
etc. Would anyone like to do that?

Isaac
Re: Hauppage remotes [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 29 October 2002 08:54 pm, Isaac Richards wrote:

> Actually, it'd probably be nice to go through and sanitize all the key
> commands, make sure they're all consistant, and maybe make 'em
> configurable, etc. Would anyone like to do that?

I would love to Isaac. Can you give me a hint as to which files to look in?
I'm not a programmer, but I can probably do that much.

I've been using this thing since the initial FM annoucement and would like to
help, rather than always ask for help!

Randy
Re: Hauppage remotes [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 29 October 2002 11:01 pm, Randy Page wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 October 2002 08:54 pm, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > Actually, it'd probably be nice to go through and sanitize all the key
> > commands, make sure they're all consistant, and maybe make 'em
> > configurable, etc. Would anyone like to do that?
>
> I would love to Isaac. Can you give me a hint as to which files to look
> in? I'm not a programmer, but I can probably do that much.

Well, all the TV controls are all in libs/libmythtv/tv.cpp:ProcessKeypress(),
the program guide keys are in libs/libmyth/guidegrid.cpp, near the top, the
menu keys are in libs/libmyth/themedmenu.cpp, near the bottom.. I'm _fairly_
sure everything else is just arrows and space/enter to select and escape to
exit.

That takes care of mythtv, at least.

But, anyway, a totally defined set of actions would be nice, along with
default keybindings... like currently, the seek and channel change buttons
are really just the same as the arrow keys, and that's probably not the best
way to do things. For instance, in mythmusic's playing interface, the arrows
can move around the selections, but it'd be nice to have keys bound to all
the major actions (play/pause/ff/rew, channel keys for previous and next
track, etc) as well... I dunno what I want, really, I'm just babbling =)

> I've been using this thing since the initial FM annoucement and would like
> to help, rather than always ask for help!

Hehe.. yeah, you were the first to email me after that initial announcement =)

Isaac
Re: Hauppage remotes [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 29 October 2002 09:33 pm, Isaac Richards wrote:

> Well, all the TV controls are all in
> libs/libmythtv/tv.cpp:ProcessKeypress(), the program guide keys are in
> libs/libmyth/guidegrid.cpp, near the top, the menu keys are in
> libs/libmyth/themedmenu.cpp, near the bottom.. I'm _fairly_ sure
> everything else is just arrows and space/enter to select and escape to
> exit.

Thanks Isaac. I'm printing it out as I email. I'm old-skool: gotta see it on
hard-copy before it's real :-). Ah, the old day's of FORTRAN-WAT4 and
punch-cards, I remember them (not so) fondly. Glad I don't pay for paper.

Randy
Re: Hauppage remotes [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 29 October 2002 09:33 pm, Isaac Richards wrote:

> > I've been using this thing since the initial FM annoucement and would
> > like to help, rather than always ask for help!
>
> Hehe.. yeah, you were the first to email me after that initial announcement
> =)

Is that almost like a /. first post?

Randy
Re: Hauppage remotes [ In reply to ]
Hello,

since Hauppage remotes work on rc-5 code, that means that most of philips or
sony brands of remotes would send same commands. So you can find suitable
remote and try it. You should extend keys (for lirc and Hauppage there is
only subset of all possible keys listed). Search for RC5 codes.

At home I use 8in1 universal remote that is set to RC5 codes and it works...

Hope this helps,

Robert Rozman
Re: Hauppage remotes [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 11:33:28PM -0500, Isaac Richards wrote:

> Well, all the TV controls are all in libs/libmythtv/tv.cpp:ProcessKeypress(),
> the program guide keys are in libs/libmyth/guidegrid.cpp, near the top, the
> menu keys are in libs/libmyth/themedmenu.cpp, near the bottom.. I'm _fairly_
> sure everything else is just arrows and space/enter to select and escape to
> exit.

Speaking of space/enter...is there some reason those two can't be condensed
into one binding? It's confusing to remember which is used where, and most
remote controls don't have an intuitive button to bind to it (I use 'f' for
space, and the 'ok' button for enter currently).

> But, anyway, a totally defined set of actions would be nice, along with
> default keybindings... like currently, the seek and channel change buttons
> are really just the same as the arrow keys, and that's probably not the best
> way to do things. For instance, in mythmusic's playing interface, the arrows
> can move around the selections, but it'd be nice to have keys bound to all
> the major actions (play/pause/ff/rew, channel keys for previous and next
> track, etc) as well... I dunno what I want, really, I'm just babbling =)

Sounds like a perfect application for the XF86Audio* keysyms...I think you
said they would be in a future Qt release. Was that the one which just came
out?

--
- mdz