Mailing List Archive

Icon download service on services.mythtv.org
I am planning to add the Icon Download from mythtv-setup to the web app.

Who maintains the software and the icon list at services.mythtv.org ?

There is an apache instance with these URLs:

http://services.mythtv.org//channel-icon/findmissing?csv=...
http://services.mythtv.org/channel-icon/lookup/... (Seems to be never
used in the code)
http://services.mythtv.org/channel-icon/search?s=...&csv=...
http://services.mythtv.org/channel-icon/submit?csv=... (Always returns a
404 error)

I will not implement the "Submit" button as the URL returns a 404,
unless the server submit logic can be fixed. "Submit" only lets you
update an existing icon in services.mythtv.org to tell it to use that
icon for a particular channel. It does not let you add a new icon for a
new channel.

How do icons get added to the list for new channels? Does anybody take
care of that?

Peter

Re: Icon download service on services.mythtv.org [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 3, 2024 at 3:35?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> How do icons get added to the list for new channels? Does anybody take
> care of that?

Note that most icon's from (at least) US stations are
actually trademarked (servicemarked), and occasionally
copyrighted. The project should not distribute icon's
for which they have not validated the rights/restrictions
that the station owner(s) have granted (and one is
typically prevented from modifying the source logo
in any way). And the project should not allow
contributions without the appropriate licensing
validation, as it puts the project at some legal risk.
Contact your lawyer for details.
Re: Icon download service on services.mythtv.org [ In reply to ]
On 4/3/24 11:57, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 3, 2024 at 3:35?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> How do icons get added to the list for new channels? Does anybody take
>> care of that?
> Note that most icon's from (at least) US stations are
> actually trademarked (servicemarked), and occasionally
> copyrighted. The project should not distribute icon's
> for which they have not validated the rights/restrictions
> that the station owner(s) have granted (and one is
> typically prevented from modifying the source logo
> in any way). And the project should not allow
> contributions without the appropriate licensing
> validation, as it puts the project at some legal risk.
> Contact your lawyer for details.

In that case, maybe we should terminate this service, and not implement
"Icon Download" in the web app.

Does anybody have an opinion on that?

Peter

Re: Icon download service on services.mythtv.org [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 3, 2024 at 9:52?AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/3/24 11:57, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 3, 2024 at 3:35?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> How do icons get added to the list for new channels? Does anybody take
> >> care of that?
> > Note that most icon's from (at least) US stations are
> > actually trademarked (servicemarked), and occasionally
> > copyrighted. The project should not distribute icon's
> > for which they have not validated the rights/restrictions
> > that the station owner(s) have granted (and one is
> > typically prevented from modifying the source logo
> > in any way). And the project should not allow
> > contributions without the appropriate licensing
> > validation, as it puts the project at some legal risk.
> > Contact your lawyer for details.
>
> In that case, maybe we should terminate this service, and not implement
> "Icon Download" in the web app.
>
> Does anybody have an opinion on that?
>
> Peter

I have never used it.

John
Re: Icon download service on services.mythtv.org [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 3, 2024 at 4:52?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> In that case, maybe we should terminate this service, and not implement
> "Icon Download" in the web app.
>
> Does anybody have an opinion on that?

Non-US icon's may have different licenses, and
may have some value (maybe), but only if there
is curation.

As I recall, MythTV used to access the icons
from another source, but that source blocked
access from 3rd parties.

Note that in the US Schedules Direct (a
common EPG provider) does provide
icon references for use by their customers.
FD: I use the Schedules Direct icons.
Re: Icon download service on services.mythtv.org [ In reply to ]
On 4/3/24 12:59, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 3, 2024 at 4:52?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In that case, maybe we should terminate this service, and not implement
>> "Icon Download" in the web app.
>>
>> Does anybody have an opinion on that?
> Non-US icon's may have different licenses, and
> may have some value (maybe), but only if there
> is curation.
>
> As I recall, MythTV used to access the icons
> from another source, but that source blocked
> access from 3rd parties.
>
> Note that in the US Schedules Direct (a
> common EPG provider) does provide
> icon references for use by their customers.
> FD: I use the Schedules Direct icons.

I have not used the icon download, I also use the SD icons. I did
receive a couple of questions from users about the icon download.
Perhaps instead I should supply a way for the user to upload a file for
the icon. They can find their own icon on the internet and upload it to
the back end.

Peter

Re: Icon download service on services.mythtv.org [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, 3 April 2024 16:34:53 BST Peter Bennett wrote:
> I am planning to add the Icon Download from mythtv-setup to the web app.
>
> Who maintains the software and the icon list at services.mythtv.org ?
>
> There is an apache instance with these URLs:
>
> http://services.mythtv.org//channel-icon/findmissing?csv=...
> http://services.mythtv.org/channel-icon/lookup/... (Seems to be never
> used in the code)
> http://services.mythtv.org/channel-icon/search?s=...&csv=...
> http://services.mythtv.org/channel-icon/submit?csv=... (Always returns a
> 404 error)
>
> I will not implement the "Submit" button as the URL returns a 404,
> unless the server submit logic can be fixed. "Submit" only lets you
> update an existing icon in services.mythtv.org to tell it to use that
> icon for a particular channel. It does not let you add a new icon for a
> new channel.
>
> How do icons get added to the list for new channels? Does anybody take
> care of that?
>
> Peter

I'm in the UK. About a week ago I did a channel rescan and then an icon
download. Of the 173 channels 25 icons could not be found. I was then offered
the option to upload differences found. The icons show up in the channel editor
but don't show in mythweb listings or livetv. I believe the paths to the icons
need to be set for those to show.

--
Regards, Steve Goodey
Colchester, England

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Re: Icon download service on services.mythtv.org [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2024-04-03 at 11:34 -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
> I am planning to add the Icon Download from mythtv-setup to the web
> app.
>
> Who maintains the software and the icon list at services.mythtv.org ?

Its a Ruby on Rails application running on polaris. I think stuarta
wrote it, and my guess is that its currently not maintained. I've
looked briefly at migrating it to a different VM, but not really spent
any time on it yet. My notes say that urls for the sample videos,
radio station database, and old releases are also served from
services.mythth.org. I think those are all redirects to static files.
I haven't seen the source for the RoR server yet.

> How do icons get added to the list for new channels? Does anybody
> take care of that?

What a query like http://services.mythtv.org/channel-icon/search?s=cbsn
returns is a csv file containing a https://github.com/picons/picons
url.  I don't know how the mapping occurs. There are no icons stored
on services.mythtv.org that I've seen.

David

Re: Icon download service on services.mythtv.org [ In reply to ]
On 4/3/24 14:49, David Hampton via mythtv-dev wrote:
> On Wed, 2024-04-03 at 11:34 -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> I am planning to add the Icon Download from mythtv-setup to the web
>> app.
>>
>> Who maintains the software and the icon list at services.mythtv.org ?
> Its a Ruby on Rails application running on polaris. I think stuarta
> wrote it, and my guess is that its currently not maintained. I've
> looked briefly at migrating it to a different VM, but not really spent
> any time on it yet. My notes say that urls for the sample videos,
> radio station database, and old releases are also served from
> services.mythth.org. I think those are all redirects to static files.
> I haven't seen the source for the RoR server yet.
>
>> How do icons get added to the list for new channels? Does anybody
>> take care of that?
> What a query like http://services.mythtv.org/channel-icon/search?s=cbsn
> returns is a csv file containing a https://github.com/picons/picons
> url.  I don't know how the mapping occurs. There are no icons stored
> on services.mythtv.org that I've seen.
>
> David

Yes - I see that. It only returns a URL for a location where the icon is
stored, then mythtv can download it from the origin site.

Perhaps this solves the trademark issue that Gary raised. We do not
store the icons, we supply a URL which the setup or backend uses to
download the icons.

Peter