Mailing List Archive

Re: [mythtv-users] RfC: Broadcast of new TV shows on different time-zones
On Sun, Feb 19, 2023 at 9:18 PM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 19, 2023 at 7:48 PM David Engel <david@istwok.net> wrote:
>
> > OTA channels usually (maybe always) adhere to their local, timezone.
>
> An important exception is "eventized" content. So The Big Game
> is broadcast at the same time across the nation. So are award
> shows (although in the pacific, they are often also rebroadcast
> later during the prime time period[0], which may be complicated
> by the fact many awards shows last longer than their allotted
> three hours (people just keep talking)).
>

> [0] Which is why, given shows like the Oscars are actually
> occurring in the pacific time zone, you see everyone walking
> the red carpet in daylight before the event starts. The Tony's,
> on the other hand, originate in NYC, so some people on the left
> coast coast are wondering why everything looks like evening
> (some people don't understand time).

Is there any experience from Australia here ?
Please post you knowledge and observations.
Re: [mythtv-users] RfC: Broadcast of new TV shows on different time-zones [ In reply to ]
On 22/02/2023 7:10 am, Roland Ernst wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 19, 2023 at 9:18 PM Gary Buhrmaster
> <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2023 at 7:48 PM David Engel <david@istwok.net> wrote:
>
> > OTA channels usually (maybe always) adhere to their local, timezone.
>
> An important exception is "eventized" content.  So The Big Game
> is broadcast at the same time across the nation.  So are award
> shows (although in the pacific, they are often also rebroadcast
> later during the prime time period[0], which may be complicated
> by the fact many awards shows last longer than their allotted
> three hours (people just keep talking)).
>

> [0] Which is why, given shows like the Oscars are actually
> occurring in the pacific time zone, you see everyone walking
> the red carpet in daylight before the event starts.  The Tony's,
> on the other hand, originate in NYC, so some people on the left
> coast coast are wondering why everything looks like evening
> (some people don't understand time).
>

> Is there any experience from Australia here ?
> Please post you knowledge and observations.

I just use the OTA EIT here (AU) for all guide info and it works very
well with the data provided being quite good.

Programs in different timezones (4 of them) are always local.

It appears all EIT times sent are in UTC so I assume this is part of the
standard. This handles daylight savings crossover.

There is no additional info re time if they are repeats or rebroadcasts
i.e. international shows shown locally. There is no season/ep info
either. I think there is also an ID with each program too. Ive never
paid too much attention since it never needed fixing.

There is no real access to other timezone content OTA unless you have a
sat system, but they are localized too. Streaming from network sites of
course doesnt count.

Probably doesnt help much.

Mark