thanks in advance

daniel

--
email: daniel@paessler.org / phone: +49 3722 83884
fax: +49 89 244365117 / web: www.paessler.org

An unknown Japanese man once said ...
Ama soyia aim duhanikam ianaka tsa akaneng...!
And that is why he is still unknown.
Re: segfault with mythepg and problem with mythfilldatabase [ In reply to ]
Daniel Paessler <daniel@paessler.org> wrote:

> i'm running a gentoo system and tried the version 0.6 and also
> the latest cvs of mythtv. i have problems using mythepg, it always
> crashes with a segmentation fault, no idea why...

The crash could be because of an empty program database.

> another thing is mythfilldatabase...it always tells me, that tv_grab_de
> is not working, i'd like to use the german tv-listings, guess why ;-)
> can i make this work?
> it's today the first time for me to try using mythtv, screenshots are
> looking great...
> would be nice if anyone can help or someone has any suggestions

It was me that added the code to use a different XMLTV program from
the tv_grab_na that Isaac was using for North America. I added in the
ability to use tv_grab_uk. There are some differences with the two
programs, for example tv_grab_na accepts a --offset option that
tv_grab_uk does not.

The tv_grab_de program does not seem to accept a --config-file option
which the tv_grab_na and tv_grab_uk programs do. This is a big
problem since it is how MythTV knows which programs to get for each
input source.

the file MC/programs/mythfilldatabase/filldata.cpp contains the following:

-------------------- filldata.cpp --------------------
if (offset >= 0)
command.sprintf("nice -19 %s --days 1 --offset %d --config-file %s "
"--output %s", xmltv_grabber.ascii(),
offset, configfile.ascii(), filename.ascii());
else
command.sprintf("nice -19 %s --days 7 --config-file %s --output %s",
xmltv_grabber.ascii(), configfile.ascii(),
filename.ascii());
-------------------- filldata.cpp --------------------

I think that you want to replace this with

-------------------- filldata.cpp --------------------
if (xmltv_grabber == "tv_grab_uk")
command.sprintf("nice -19 %s --days 7 --config-file %s --output %s",
xmltv_grabber.ascii(), configfile.ascii(),
filename.ascii());
else if (xmltv_grabber == "tv_grab_de")
command.sprintf("nice -19 %s --days 7 --output %s",
xmltv_grabber.ascii(),
filename.ascii());
else
command.sprintf("nice -19 %s --days 1 --offset %d --config-file %s "
"--output %s", xmltv_grabber.ascii(),
offset, configfile.ascii(), filename.ascii());
-------------------- filldata.cpp --------------------

also try replacing

-------------------- filldata.cpp --------------------
if (xmltv_grabber == "tv_grab_uk")
{
// tv_grab_uk doesn't support the --offset option, so just grab a week.
for (it = sourcelist.begin(); it != sourcelist.end(); ++it)
grabData(*it, xmltv_grabber, -1);
}
-------------------- filldata.cpp --------------------

with

-------------------- filldata.cpp --------------------
if (xmltv_grabber == "tv_grab_uk" || xmltv_grabber == "tv_grab_de")
{
// tv_grab_uk/de don't support the --offset option, so just grab a week.
for (it = sourcelist.begin(); it != sourcelist.end(); ++it)
grabData(*it, xmltv_grabber, -1);
}
-------------------- filldata.cpp --------------------

If this works then we can generate a proper patch.

You probably want to run the mythfilldatabase program with the
--manual option the first time to let you edit the details.

Also you need to run the setup program (setup/main.cpp), try replacing

-------------------- main.cpp --------------------
QString command = xmltv_grabber + " --configure --config-file " +
filename;
-------------------- main.cpp --------------------

with

-------------------- main.cpp --------------------
QString command = xmltv_grabber;
-------------------- main.cpp --------------------

as a temporary fix.

Run this before you run the mythfilldatabase program.

--
Andrew.
Andrew M. Bishop amb@gedanken.demon.co.uk
Re: Re: segfault with mythepg and problem with mythfilldatabase [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 11:27, Andrew M. Bishop wrote:
> Daniel Paessler <daniel@paessler.org> wrote:
>
> > i'm running a gentoo system and tried the version 0.6 and also
> > the latest cvs of mythtv. i have problems using mythepg, it always
> > crashes with a segmentation fault, no idea why...
>
> The crash could be because of an empty program database.

Another thing that will cause the mythepg in CVS to segfault is to try
to run it in 640x480 resolution. Did you (Daniel) happen to change your
/usr/local/share/mythtv/theme.txt file to adjust this? (800x600 is the
default.)

- Dave
Re: segfault with mythepg and problem with mythfilldatabase [ In reply to ]
hmmm..i tried that...but it doesn't work...
i get the following:

---snip---
[paessler@iphigenie pts/5] mythfilldatabase
----------------- Start of XMLTV output -----------------
couldn't get all of 7 days, only 3
------------------ End of XMLTV output ------------------
Speicherzugriffsfehler
---snip---

the last word is german and means "segmentation fault", coming
from mythepg i think.

some more suggestions?

thx daniel

Re: segfault with mythepg and problem with mythfilldatabase [ In reply to ]
Daniel Paessler <daniel@paessler.org> writes:

> hmmm..i tried that...but it doesn't work...
> i get the following:
>
> ---snip---
> [paessler@iphigenie pts/5] mythfilldatabase
> ----------------- Start of XMLTV output -----------------
> couldn't get all of 7 days, only 3
> ------------------ End of XMLTV output ------------------
> Speicherzugriffsfehler
> ---snip---
>
> the last word is german and means "segmentation fault", coming
> from mythepg i think.
>
> some more suggestions?

I think that the patch that I suggested is working because the correct
program is being called for you. The problem might be that the xmltv
output that you get cannot be understood by mythfilldatabase.

Did you run the mythtv setup program?

Have you tried running mythfilldatabase --manual to see if the
processing gets anywhere?

Does xmltv run OK on its own? It should give the same error message
as it did when called from within myhtfilldatabase.

tv_grab_de --days 7 --output xmltv.xml

should give you a file called xmltv.xml that contains the program
schedule information. If the previous command works can you put the
file somewhere that we can access it to check if it looks OK. Don't
mail it to the list since it will probably be quite big.

Re: Re: segfault with mythepg and problem with mythfilldatabase [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 23 October 2002 10:10 pm, Dave Caplinger wrote:
> Another thing that will cause the mythepg in CVS to segfault is to try
> to run it in 640x480 resolution. Did you (Daniel) happen to change your
> /usr/local/share/mythtv/theme.txt file to adjust this? (800x600 is the
> default.)

If you can recompile for debugging (swap the comment on the first two lines of
settings.pro and recompile) and send me a backtrace of it crashing when run
at 640x480, I'd appreciate that, as I can't reproduce it.

Isaac
Re: segfault with mythepg and problem with mythfilldatabase [ In reply to ]
i didn't change my theme resolution...
tried the latest cvs yesterday and switched debugging on in settings.pro
but gdb tells me that he found no debugging symbols. what do i wrong?
i also get an installation error (don't know if it's a problem) saying:

--snip--
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/pakete/mythtv/MC/programs'
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/pakete/mythtv/MC/themes'
cp -f -pR "blue" "/usr/local/share/mythtv/themes/"
strip "/usr/local/share/mythtv/themes/"
strip: /usr/local/share/mythtv/themes/: is a directory
make[1]: *** [install_themes] eroor 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/pakete/mythtv/MC/themes'
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/pakete/mythtv/MC/setup'
--snip--

daniel

Re: segfault with mythepg and problem with mythfilldatabase [ In reply to ]
On Monday 28 October 2002 01:14 am, Daniel Paessler wrote:
> i didn't change my theme resolution...
> tried the latest cvs yesterday and switched debugging on in settings.pro
> but gdb tells me that he found no debugging symbols. what do i wrong?
> i also get an installation error (don't know if it's a problem) saying:

You probably needed to do a make clean after switching the lines in
settings.pro. The make install error isn't important. Your segfault,
though, is most likely because your database is empty.

Isaac
Re: segfault with mythepg and problem with mythfilldatabase [ In reply to ]
i did a make clean after changing settings.pro and did a fresh install
from cvs too. anyway, i also think that the reason is my empty database.
but how can i fill it? tv_grab_de works. maybe it's a problem with some
special german characters? i put an outputfile here, perhaps someone can
have a look at it : http://www.paedan.de/xmltv.xml

i produced it with : tv_grab_de --days 7 --output xmltv.xml
it told me that it can only fetch 6 days, but that should not be a
problem. it's more than 2mb, be warned ;-)

filling my database should be the first thing for me (or you maybe) to
solve.

thanks for your help

daniel

Re: segfault with mythepg and problem with mythfilldatabase [ In reply to ]
On Monday 28 October 2002 01:37 pm, Daniel Paessler wrote:
> i did a make clean after changing settings.pro and did a fresh install
> from cvs too. anyway, i also think that the reason is my empty database.
> but how can i fill it? tv_grab_de works. maybe it's a problem with some
> special german characters? i put an outputfile here, perhaps someone can
> have a look at it : http://www.paedan.de/xmltv.xml
>
> i produced it with : tv_grab_de --days 7 --output xmltv.xml
> it told me that it can only fetch 6 days, but that should not be a
> problem. it's more than 2mb, be warned ;-)
>
> filling my database should be the first thing for me (or you maybe) to
> solve.

It doesn't have channel data -- you need to run 'mythfilldatabase --manual'
and set all that up. You should probably update to current CVS as well, as
I've merged in Andrew's patch that he asked you to try.

Isaac
Re: segfault with mythepg and problem with mythfilldatabase [ In reply to ]
i have installed the latest cvs 3 minutes ago. in the settings.txt i
changed the grabber to tv_grab_de. when i run mythfilldatabase i get
_no_ error but also no data into the database...when i call
mythfilldatabase --manual the nothing happens, here's the output:

[paessler@iphigenie pts/0] mythfilldatabase --manual
###
### Running in manual channel configuration mode.
### This will ask you questions about every channel.
###

[paessler@iphigenie pts/0]

trying to debug after changing settings.pro and (after make clean)
recompiling gives me:

[paessler@iphigenie pts/0] gdb mythfilldatabase
GNU gdb 5.2.1
are
conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for
details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...
(no debugging symbols found)...
(gdb)

i'm nearly hopeless ;-(

Re: segfault with mythepg and problem with mythfilldatabase [ In reply to ]

Re: segfault with mythepg and problem with mythfilldatabase [ In reply to ]
On Monday 28 October 2002 02:46 pm, Daniel Paessler wrote:
> i have installed the latest cvs 3 minutes ago. in the settings.txt i
> changed the grabber to tv_grab_de. when i run mythfilldatabase i get
> _no_ error but also no data into the database...when i call
> mythfilldatabase --manual the nothing happens, here's the output:
>
> [paessler@iphigenie pts/0] mythfilldatabase --manual
> ###
> ### Running in manual channel configuration mode.
> ### This will ask you questions about every channel.
> ###
>
> [paessler@iphigenie pts/0]

You didn't run the setup program, or if you did, you didn't answer the
questions properly. If mythfilldatabase does that, there are no channel
sources defined.

> trying to debug after changing settings.pro and (after make clean)
> recompiling gives me:

You're either not doing a make install, or qmake is incorrectly stripping all
the binaries when it's installing.

Isaac
Re: segfault with mythepg and problem with mythfilldatabase [ In reply to ]
Am Mon, 2002-10-28 um 20.52 schrieb Isaac Richards:
> On Monday 28 October 2002 02:46 pm, Daniel Paessler wrote:
> > i have installed the latest cvs 3 minutes ago. in the settings.txt i
> > changed the grabber to tv_grab_de. when i run mythfilldatabase i get
> > _no_ error but also no data into the database...when i call
> > mythfilldatabase --manual the nothing happens, here's the output:
> >
> > [paessler@iphigenie pts/0] mythfilldatabase --manual
> > ###
> > ### Running in manual channel configuration mode.
> > ### This will ask you questions about every channel.
> > ###
> >
> > [paessler@iphigenie pts/0]
>
> You didn't run the setup program, or if you did, you didn't answer the
> questions properly. If mythfilldatabase does that, there are no channel
> sources defined.

oops ;-) sorry for that...

now i get that:

--snip--