Mailing List Archive

Hard lockup
Argh... can someone help me find the culprit?

Symptom:
I am fine as long as I don't watch live tv (I haven't tried recording
shows yet either...). When I watch live TV, it will sometimes work for
a minute or two then lock HARD (no ctl-alt-f1, no nothing). Most times,
it will lock just after the audio starts up.

Hardware:
NForce M/B:
Duron 700
Integrated GForceMX (32MB Shared Video Ram)
Integrated Sound (ALSA: intel8x0 driver)
Avermedia TV Studio (detected and works as a TvPhone '98)
Maxtor 120GB 2MB harddrive (manually turned DMA on...
doesn't seem to matter for stability & it makes a huge difference)

Software:
Mandrake 9.0: V4L, V4L2, xawtv, motv packages, KDE
nVidia binary drivers (from website yesterday)
Kernel RPM from
http://nekropolis.assetdisk.com/faq_list.php?subject=NVidia+Linux+Drivers
ALSA from CVS yesterday (I saw the note on mythtv's webpage...
should I have gone backwards instead?)
LIRC from CVS (today)
mythtv 0.7, and all the install stuff from the README-MDK file.

Things I've done:
1. Run xawtv
2. Run xmms w/Alsa output plugin (stereo, playing MP3s)
3. Run irw (remote OK)

Any ideas on what I should test? Unfortunately, I'm in a bit of a bind --
the motherboard
has only 1 slot!

TIA,
Thor Johnson
Re: Hard lockup [ In reply to ]
At 29-11-02 21:44, you wrote:
> I am fine as long as I don't watch live tv (I haven't tried recording
> shows yet either...). When I watch live TV, it will sometimes work for
> a minute or two then lock HARD (no ctl-alt-f1, no nothing). Most times,
> it will lock just after the audio starts up.
>
>Hardware:
> Integrated Sound (ALSA: intel8x0 driver)

That's your problem... I have the same "soundcard", same symptoms. I just
live with it and only use MythTV for developing, not yet for real. Tested
with a SB16 clone on the same hardware works OK (I do have multiple slots
:-). I just hope ALSA will improve their drivers somewhat more, the rc5 bug
had me really stumped for quite a while, but this still is not workable.

What you could do is try the original VIA reference drivers from their
site, not sure if they are workable with MythV though, didn't try it myself
as I want a 100% sourcecode system.

If this continues I'll just have to buy new hardware :-(

Erik