Mailing List Archive

more newbie impressions
Hello everyone.

Last night I got MythTV working and used it to record my favorite show.
Everything worked great! Good job!

I started looking into PVRs a while ago in conjunction with a project I
have been wanting to work on. I have seen other people on this list talk
about it as well. Basically, a media server in a garage/basement/office,
and a set top box (or boxen) on the TV/stereo/whatever.

Like adding gas to a flame, my interest really piqued when I saw this
little gadget:
http://www.viavpsd.com/product/epia_m_spec.jsp?motherboardId=81

It's a mini itx motherboard with TV out and an mpeg 2 decoder (among other
cool things like an LCD interface).

Ultimately I would like this device to be diskless, and accessing my
"media server" over 802.11b.

I know I have a long way to go on this (I don't think Linux supports the
TV out on this board, for example) but I think this would be a really cool
setup.

I also tried Freevo yesterday. It seems pretty cool as well, except it
doesn't record yet (doh!). But it *did* support displaying on a dxr3
device, which I happen to have. It had problems actually playing the TV
capture to the dxr3 device, but I think with some tweaking I could get
that working. Has anyone looked into supporting displaying to a dxr3
device (http://dxr3.sf.net)?

Thanks!
Larry Matter
Re: more newbie impressions [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 10:42:11AM -0800, Larry Matter wrote:

> Ultimately I would like this device to be diskless, and accessing my
> "media server" over 802.11b.

Under realistic conditions, I have seen throughput of ~6mbit/sec (half
duplex) over 802.11b. A single compressed video stream will use about half
your available bandwidth (depending on the quality, of course), not
including the additional traffic required for diskless operation. I highly
recommend a wired network for this application.

--
- mdz
RE: more newbie impressions [ In reply to ]
Re: more newbie impressions [ In reply to ]
802.11a would be sufficient, however...

Re,
Seth

Re: more newbie impressions [ In reply to ]
> Van: Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org>
>
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 10:42:11AM -0800, Larry Matter wrote:
>
> > Ultimately I would like this device to be diskless, and accessing my
> > "media server" over 802.11b.
>
> Under realistic conditions, I have seen throughput of ~6mbit/sec (half
> duplex) over 802.11b. A single compressed video stream will use about
half
> your available bandwidth (depending on the quality, of course), not
> including the additional traffic required for diskless operation. I
highly
> recommend a wired network for this application.

There are now 54mbit/s WiFi cards/APs but they are still in it's infancy,
and will only span a couple (2-4) of meters...

Henk Poley <><
Re: more newbie impressions [ In reply to ]
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 10:42:11AM -0800, Larry Matter wrote:
>
>> Ultimately I would like this device to be diskless, and accessing my
>> "media server" over 802.11b.
>
> Under realistic conditions, I have seen throughput of ~6mbit/sec (half
> duplex) over 802.11b. A single compressed video stream will use about
> half your available bandwidth (depending on the quality, of course), not
> including the additional traffic required for diskless operation. I
> highly recommend a wired network for this application.

Thanks for the info. In this case I'm not too concerned with it taking up
most of the wireless bandwidth as I'm either on the laptop or watching tv;
almost never both. As long as it works for one set-top I'm happy.

At one point I was looking into 802.11a (and 802.11g) but I would like to
see if this works with the cheaper, and more common, 802.11b stuff first.

If I get serious and hook the whole house up then I'll look at 802.11a
and/or wiring.

Diskless operation isn't a necessity, but it would be quietier, cheaper
and just make the project more interesting.

Larry

RE: via epia M mpeg driver (was more newbie impressions) [ In reply to ]
I downloaded the Linux video driver for this motherboard from via. In the
tar file was a file called libddmpeg.so (and .a). I'm hoping this is a
driver for the mpeg decoder, but I haven't been able to get any
information on it (yet). And I can't try it since I don't own the mobo yet,
but hopefully Santa will bring me one :-)

I think this mobo is begging for an application like this; I really want
to get something working on it. The company is boasting "fully compatible
with Linux"; Let's hope they mean it.

Larry

RE: via epia M mpeg driver (was more newbie impressions) [ In reply to ]
RE: via epia M mpeg driver (was more newbie impressions) [ In reply to ]
Try this site for Linux driver info:
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=181

Larry Matter

Re: more newbie impressions [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 08:29:54PM -0800, Larry Matter wrote:

> Diskless operation isn't a necessity, but it would be quietier, cheaper
> and just make the project more interesting.

I've done both diskless and wireless setups but I'm not sure how you could
combine the two. AFAIK wireless cards normally require all of the pcmcia
stuff to be running before they can be brought up. FWIW I'm planning to
have a diskless Myth box in my living room next week assuming capturing over
NFS proves up to the task.

--
Ray
Re: more newbie impressions [ In reply to ]
Hmm. Good point. I'll have to rethink that somewhat.

Linksys makes a device that connects to an ethernet jack, the WET11. It
should not need any drivers loaded I would think.

Larry

Re: more newbie impressions [ In reply to ]
Larry Matter wrote:
> Hmm. Good point. I'll have to rethink that somewhat.
>
> Linksys makes a device that connects to an ethernet jack, the WET11. It
> should not need any drivers loaded I would think.

I have one. Works great. Linksys calls it a wireless ethernet
bridge. It acts as a standalone wireless client and has a
RJ45 jack so you just run a regular cable to your ethernet
card. Funny thing is that for the initial configuration, you
need to run the setup CD on Windoze. Once it's setup you
can manage it through http.

-- bjm
Re: more newbie impressions [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 11:56:14PM -0700, Ray wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 08:29:54PM -0800, Larry Matter wrote:
> >
> > Diskless operation isn't a necessity, but it would be quietier, cheaper
> > and just make the project more interesting.
>
> I've done both diskless and wireless setups but I'm not sure how you could
> combine the two. AFAIK wireless cards normally require all of the pcmcia
> stuff to be running before they can be brought up. FWIW I'm planning to
> have a diskless Myth box in my living room next week assuming capturing
> over NFS proves up to the task.

You would need a boot loader with the necessary driver support to bring up
the wireless card. I do not know if any of the current loaders are capable
of this, but I don't know of any fundamental reason why it would not be
possible.

FWIW, my current MythTV system is diskless using NFS for both root and
capture, over 100mbit half-duplex ethernet with plenty of growing room.

--
- mdz