regular ep. guide

anyway, just a UI suggestion

tarek : )
Re: MythEPG Suggestion [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 13 November 2002 11:18 am, tarek Lubani wrote:
> Hey guys!
>
> Not terribly sure how easy such a thing would be, but I was thinking about
> the best EPG that I've ever seen, and almost certainly, it had to be one
> with about the following configuration:
>
> Screen Split into 1/4 / 3/4
>
> 1) Top 1/4:
> a) little video of what is currently tuned in on left hand side
> b) text description on the right hand side
>
> 2) Bottom 3/4:
> regular ep. guide

Heh -- I rather like the current "pack as much information in as possible
while still being visible from far away" grid, though.. The cable box's
guide that helped prompt development of all this only shows 7 or 8 channels
for a single half hour time period -- useless, really. Stuff like a preview
video playing of the channel's really only good if you're browsing what's
currently on, anyway.

Isaac
Re: MythEPG Suggestion [ In reply to ]
Isaac Richards <ijr@po.cwru.edu> wrote:
> Heh -- I rather like the current "pack as much information in as possible
> while still being visible from far away" grid, though.. The cable box's
> guide that helped prompt development of all this only shows 7 or 8 channels
> for a single half hour time period -- useless, really. Stuff like a preview
> video playing of the channel's really only good if you're browsing what's
> currently on, anyway.

I definately agree with you Isaac. Showing video on that
screen is a waste of space. ReplayTV uses the top 1/3 to show
the currently highlighted show's description, making it very easy
to browse around and determine what to watch, record, etc. Same
is true on the recorded shows panel. Definately very cool feature
that I fell in love with right away...

But video like my digital cable box's 1/4 screen on the top right?
Useless.

--
Shawn.
Re: MythEPG Suggestion [ In reply to ]
I fully agree with Isaac. My cable box UI was, I think, designed by a
group of drunk chimps. When you go to "the guide" you can only see a half
hour at a time (basically, what's currently on). If you want to see
what's on in two hours, ya gotta do a lot of side-scrolling. Grrrr. I
think the MythTV full-page guide is great. It allows you to see a couple
hours AND a bunch of channels at a time. The more you can see without
scrolling and eye-strain, the better!