Mailing List Archive

Poll: System Requirements
Re: Poll: System Requirements [ In reply to ]
I like the idea. Another couple of questions I would
like to add are:

How much memory do you have?
How much Processor does Myth use total (all threads) as
reported by "top" when:

a) When you are recording without watching anything
b) When viewing TV
c) When viewing a recorded show
d) When recording and watching the show at the same time

I don't remember all that info but will resend when I
get home.

I have an AMD XP 2000+ processor with 256 MB DDR 2100.
I have an AverMedia AverTV Stereo capture card in my
PC. I use the MPEG4 codec with a quality setting of
3300 with a width and height of 640 x 480. I use audio
compression. I use ext3 as my filesystem.

I have a Maxtor 60GB 7200 rpm w. standard cache hard
drive as my storage drive and an old Fireball lct20
40GB 4500 rpm for the system.
My hdparm -tT /dev/hd? values are approx. (from memory):
Maxtor: 285/47
Fireball: 285/20

My system can view live TV without glitches. Lately
though I have noticed that when I skip forward several
jumps the video starts almost stuttering until I pause
and restart playback.
Re: Poll: System Requirements [ In reply to ]
"
I have a _Intel PIII processor running at 800 MHz. I have 1capture card
in my PC. I use the
RTJPEG codec with a quality setting of defaults with a width and
height of 480x 480. I don't use audio compression. I use
ext3 as my filesystem.

I have a quantum hard drive. My hdparm -tT
/dev/hd? values are: ?

My system can view live TV without glitches.

CPU
a) When you are recording without watching anything 50-60%
RE: Poll: System Requirements [ In reply to ]
RE: Poll: System Requirements [ In reply to ]
RE: Poll: System Requirements [ In reply to ]
Are you asking to watch both cars at the same time (i.e. PiP - 2
encode/decode processes) or to have one just record while the other
watches (encodes/decodes)?

I only have one card in an Athlon 1.6...if that card didn't cost $60 to
begin with, I'd get it just to test.

Nate
RE: Poll: System Requirements [ In reply to ]
RE: Poll: System Requirements [ In reply to ]
> busses. Could be wrong though; I've got 4 capture
> cards between my
> various PCs that I could put into one box, but don't
> have nearly the
> CPU to even start trying to figure out if it'll
> work.

Hmm... not knowing much more about SMP than it
requires 2 processors I ask this question:

Would a dual processor box help here? Would the
Encoding (record a show) and the Encode/Decode (Watch
TV) threads be split across the processors?

--Andrew

http://webhosting.yahoo.com
RE: Poll: System Requirements [ In reply to ]
On 14 Nov 2002 at 8:19, Robert Kulagowski wrote:

> Is anyone running mythtv with multiple capture cards at a high
> resolution (at least 480x480)? So far, all the respondents have
> indicated that they only have a single capture card. Isaac has

Ask me this again after the weekend as I'll be adding a second tv card to my
XP1800+ system.

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting
Re: Poll: System Requirements [ In reply to ]