Thanks for any input you can provide.

Regards,

Da
Re: What's best for MythTV - Uniprocessor Athlon XP 2100 or two Athlon MP 1500s? [ In reply to ]
> I expect to have only one TV tuner card, at least to start (Radeon
> 7500 AIW).

if this is an AGP card rather than a PCI card you might have some
complications. I asked the list whether you could use an AIW card a
while ago and I didn't get a satisfactory response. I was not able to
varify that it (agp or pci) was v4l compliant. If you already have the
AIW card, give it a shot, and let me know if you get it working. If
not, you might want to take the safe option of getting a PCI capture
card, something like a Hauppauge WinTV.
Re: What's best for MythTV - Uniprocessor Athlon XP 2100 or two Athlon MP 1500s? [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 12 November 2002 01:59 pm, Cedar McKay wrote:
> > I expect to have only one TV tuner card, at least to start (Radeon
> > 7500 AIW).
>
> if this is an AGP card rather than a PCI card you might have some
> complications. I asked the list whether you could use an AIW card a
> while ago and I didn't get a satisfactory response. I was not able to
> varify that it (agp or pci) was v4l compliant. If you already have the
> AIW card, give it a shot, and let me know if you get it working. If
> not, you might want to take the safe option of getting a PCI capture
> card, something like a Hauppauge WinTV.

You asked on here? It's been stated several times that the AIW cards will not
work as a combined tuner/playback card, due to driver and hardware
limitations.

Isaac
Re: What's best for MythTV - Uniprocessor Athlon XP 2100 or two Athlon MP 1500s? [ In reply to ]
On 12 Nov 2002 at 10:59, Cedar McKay wrote:

> varify that it (agp or pci) was v4l compliant. If you already have the
It is, see here:

http://gatos.sourceforge.net

and particularly here

http://sourceforge.net/news/?group_id=12629

> AIW card, give it a shot, and let me know if you get it working. If

My understanding of the problem with ATI AIW cards is that the current linux
drivers don't allow concurrent playback and recording. I have a machine with
a Radeon AIW, that I plan to install myth on one of these days to see what
actually happens.

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting
Re: What's best for MythTV - Uniprocessor Athlon XP 2100 or two Athlon MP 1500s? [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 12 November 2002 10:55 am, Dan Schwarz wrote:
> So I'm assembling my mythTV box and I'd like some input from folks who
> have real world experience using these. I expect to have only one TV
> tuner card, at least to start (Radeon 7500 AIW). Is it worthwhile to
> get a multiprocessor box - will mythTV make use of both CPUs effectively?
>
> If I get the uniprocessor box, can I expect to use the box for any other
> purpose while mythTV is doing a simultaneous encode + decode? (i.e. run
> Emacs via remote SSH session, run OpenOffice in a VNC session , etc.)
>
> Thanks for any input you can provide.

There's currently thread-saftey issues in libavcodec, so I had to lock all
access to the library behind a single lock. So, SMP doesn't currently gain
you any large improvements, but that may change in the future.

Isaac
Re: What's best for MythTV - Uniprocessor Athlon XP 2100 or two Athlon MP 1500s? [ In reply to ]
Isaac Richards wrote:

>On Tuesday 12 November 2002 10:55 am, Dan Schwarz wrote:
>

>>So I'm assembling my mythTV box and I'd like some input from folks who
>>have real world experience using these. I expect to have only one TV
>>tuner card, at least to start (Radeon 7500 AIW). Is it worthwhile to
>>get a multiprocessor box - will mythTV make use of both CPUs effectively?
>>
>>If I get the uniprocessor box, can I expect to use the box for any other
>>purpose while mythTV is doing a simultaneous encode + decode? (i.e. run
>>Emacs via remote SSH session, run OpenOffice in a VNC session , etc.)
>>
>>Thanks for any input you can provide.
>>

>There's currently thread-saftey issues in libavcodec, so I had to lock all
>access to the library behind a single lock. So, SMP doesn't currently gain
>you any large improvements, but that may change in the future.
>
>Isaac

Does this only affect the MPEG4 Codec or does it also effect the
NuppelVideo Based One,

Robert
<http://mars.tuwien.ac.at/%7Eroman/nuppelvideo/>
Re: What's best for MythTV - Uniprocessor Athlon XP 2100 or two Athlon MP 1500s? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 13 November 2002 09:05 am, Robert Middleswarth wrote:
> Does this only affect the MPEG4 Codec or does it also effect the
> NuppelVideo Based One,

No-one's mentioned nasty artifacts in their video with SMP while using rtjpeg,
so I assume it doesn't affect it. The code's completely separate, anyway..

Isaac
Re: What's best for MythTV - Uniprocessor Athlon XP 2100 or two Athlon MP 1500s? [ In reply to ]
Isaac Richards wrote:

>On Wednesday 13 November 2002 09:05 am, Robert Middleswarth wrote:
>

>>Does this only affect the MPEG4 Codec or does it also effect the
>>NuppelVideo Based One,
>>

>No-one's mentioned nasty artifacts in their video with SMP while using rtjpeg,
>so I assume it doesn't affect it. The code's completely separate, anyway..
>
>Isaac

Yeah just make sure as I am going to be working with an underpowered
dual processor and wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my time.

Robert