Mailing List Archive

[Apache config] suEXEC compiled in by default?
hi all...

it seems that suEXEC made it's way into my latest mod_perl httpd (1.3.12),
but at least according to http://www.apache.org/docs/suexec.html suEXEC
should _not_ compiled in by default, and I don't think I did anything to
explicitly add it...

anyway, I'm thinking that maybe suEXEC should not be compiled in mod_perl by
default either?

I'm not familiar at all with using suEXEC, but I did notice the following
from httpd -l today:

suexec: disabled; invalid wrapper /usr/local/apache/bin/suexec

now, I saw that 1.3.12 added a new feature so suexec warnings would show up
in httpd -l, so this may have been the case for a while...

my mod_perl installation just used EVERYTHING=1 (no APACI -
apache_1.3.12/src/Configuration instead)

I tried poking around the Makefile.PL for both Apache and mod_perl to see
where it gets the directive, but couldn't find it...

if anyone else has any interest (or maybe understands what I'm trying to say
:)

--Geoff
RE: [Apache config] suEXEC compiled in by default? [ In reply to ]
I was playing around with this a couple days ago... You have to do some
tweaking or src/support/suexec.h, then run a make in the of the suexec, and
put it where you told the header file it would be.

RE: [Apache config] suEXEC compiled in by default? [ In reply to ]
ok, so does that mean that suEXEC is not enabled now? in re point 4 of the
apache docs, I'm clearly not really in a position to evaluate the security
risks of suEXEC right now, since I don't even know enough to know if it's
enabled in my installation

:)

--Geoff

RE: [Apache config] suEXEC compiled in by default? [ In reply to ]
No. It's not enabled unless you setup the suexec manually. When you run
the "httpd -l", it will confirm whether suexec is disabled or not.

RE: [Apache config] suEXEC compiled in by default? [ In reply to ]

> No. It's not enabled unless you setup the suexec manually.
> When you run
> the "httpd -l", it will confirm whether suexec is disabled or not.

duh... if only I could read :) or maybe some more caffeine...

RE: [Apache config] suEXEC compiled in by default? [ In reply to ]
sorry - I guess I was originally going on the fact that the apache docs were
saying it was disabled and I was wondering if mod_perl compliation enabled
it by default...

that was on-topic, I would think, but we have strayed at this point...

back to your regularly scheduled list... :)

--Geoff

RE: [Apache config] suEXEC compiled in by default? [ In reply to ]