Mailing List Archive

Discuss: Embperl vs mod_perl handler techniques?
I have not seen a discussion regarding the merits of an Embperl approach
to web application development vs. a mod_perl handler solution to the
same problem.

I see Embperl as a further abstraction of dynamic content generation by
allowing the logic to be placed directly into a file that is evaluated
on the fly, whereas mod_perl logic is written in the shape of a handler
that can be inserted in one of many stages of server and client
negotiation. This allows more complete page development without the
need of handler modification. True?

I also see Embperl as taking care of several aspects of session
management that otherwise would need to be developed if using the
mod_perl handler approach. True?

If a handler approach to site data and web application development is
already being used, is it best to stay the course, or would introducing
Embperl into such a site have a direct benefit?

I'm attempting to determine the benefits/drawbacks of Empberl
vs. mod_perl handler development for an intranet time keeping
application currently under development. I already have custom handlers
managing much of the data, and wish to know if Embperl brings anything
to the table that could benefit me in dynamic data manipulation,
particularly in the areas of database access (CRUD) as well as in
interface characteristics, such as dynamic lists and data pesistence.

Comments welcome.

Peace.
Re: Discuss: Embperl vs mod_perl handler techniques? [ In reply to ]
I am using it at our place and second all that was said here.
You can still use handlers in conjunction with it when necessary.

cliff rayman
genwax.com

Re: Discuss: Embperl vs mod_perl handler techniques? [ In reply to ]
Bruce,