Mailing List Archive

newbi cont
Thanks for your help on the mod_perl / embperl... Now that I know that I
want embedded perl I tried
installing it..
Here's the info..
Apache1.3.9
Modperl 1.21
HTML-Embperl-1.2.1

Did a make clean on all the above ( 2nd time installing...)

Compiled modperl first with

perl Makefile.PL APACHE_SRC=../apache1.3.9/src \
DO_HTTPD=1 USE_APACI=1 \
EVERYTHING=1
make
make install

Then compiled apache like this
./configure --prefix=/www --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a
wasn't sure about the --enable-shared=perl part so I left it out..

make
make install

Everything went fine with no errors..
Now for
HTTP-embperl

When I try and run
perl Makefile.PL it starts the server, finds mod_perl version 1.21
but says
LWP::UserAgent not installed on this system

** What is this file, and is it important??

When running the make test everything tests ok until it gets to
Testing mod_perl mode.... (which seems important!!)
ascii....... ERR:LWP not installed

So I guess its not installed correctly...
Doesn't seem to be a search option for the HTML_embperl FAQ...
Anyone know what this LWP is??

Thanks!

Bob

Robert Bartels
Network Administrator
Department of Physiology
MS571 Chandler Medical Center
University of Kentucky 40536
606.323.6264
physiology.uky.edu
Re: newbi cont [ In reply to ]
Robert J Bartels wrote:
> LWP::UserAgent not installed on this system
>
> ** What is this file, and is it important??

I don't think LWP is required, unless you want 'make test' to succeed,
but it's very useful to have around. For more info, search for and
read about LWP at www.cpan.org.

Cheers,
Ed Loehr
Re: newbi cont [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Robert J Bartels wrote:

> Anyone know what this LWP is??

It's very unfortunate that there are several modules which go by more
than one name. LWP is one of them. Its other name is libwww.

It's on CPAN, look for libwww-perl-x.xx. My version is 5.45 but it's
probably a higher number on CPAN.

73,
Ged.
RE: newbi cont [ In reply to ]
> When I try and run
> perl Makefile.PL it starts the server, finds mod_perl version 1.21
> but says
> LWP::UserAgent not installed on this system
>
> ** What is this file, and is it important??
>
> When running the make test everything tests ok until it gets to
> Testing mod_perl mode.... (which seems important!!)
> ascii....... ERR:LWP not installed
>

> So I guess its not installed correctly...
> Doesn't seem to be a search option for the HTML_embperl FAQ...
> Anyone know what this LWP is??

Go to your nearest CPAN mirror (if you don't know one try www.perl.com) and
fetch it (the file INSTALL.pod tells you which other modules from CPAN are
neccessary for Embperl's make test)

Gerald