Mailing List Archive

Authorization problem
Hi there,

Please bear with me.

After installing apache_1.3.11, I built and installed
a module to authenticate users using yp (mod_auth_yp)
using apxs.
It was added to the Module list in the httpd.conf
file.

In the "secure" directory the .htaccess file is as
follows:

AuthUserFile /opt/webpages/pw_files/Customers/cust1pw
AuthName "Customer Support"
AuthType Basic
AuthYP On

<Limit GET PUT>
require valid-user
</Limit>

The /opt/webpages/pw_files/Customers/cust1pw contains
the following:

cust1supp:yLLQBtcExCJLs
cust2supp:/v8DpM437PDLM
include:/opt/webpages/pw_files/nispw

The /opt/webpages/pw_files/nispw contains the
following:

+person1:
+person2:
+person3:
tempuserid:bLx3qE5W5GRUw

When accessing the "secure" directory using the
person1 id and password (requiring NIS lookup),
accessing is granted.
However, when using the tempuserid and password,
"Authorization Failed" (password is correct).

In the .htaccess file, I have tried the following:

I - AuthAuthoritative Off
AuthYPAuthoritative Off

II - AuthAuthoritative Off
AuthYPAuthoritative Off

III - AuthAuthoritative Off

IV - AuthYPAuthoritative Off

Trying to access the directory after these
combinations was still unsuccessful.

From the on-line documentation (mod_auth),
"... if a valid require directive applies to more than
one module; then the first module will verify the
credentials; and no access is passed on; regardless of
the AuthAuthoritative setting. "

My interpretation is that since mod_auth_yp
can not verify the credentials, it will not pass on
the user/password to lower modules (mod_auth)
regardless of the AuthAuthoritative setting.

If this is the case, is there a work around?

Please note that the AuthUserFile
(/opt/webpages/pw_files/Customers/cust1pw) content was
copied from an existing .htaccess file that is being
used with an NCSA web server.
I am very new to setting up a web server (as is
painfully obvious) and am just trying to emulate the
existing security.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kosta
RE: Authorization problem [ In reply to ]
This is not a mod_perl related question. Please try asking this on an apache
list or in one of the apache newsgroups. Thank you.