Mailing List Archive

FW: Memory optimisation
Hello.

We are using heavy loaded web application written on MOD_PERL.
It is about 20 running Apache Childs 30Mb each.

Here is usual line from top:

"Memory: 512M real, 96M free, 475M swap in use, 697M swap free"

This mean that only 5Mb from 30Mb of each httpd-child is shared.
As I understand nothing from Perl byte-code is not shared at all.

Question:

- Is it known problem or just my misconfiguration?
(Any optimisation are welcome)

My way:

I like to share one CODE segment of all Childs.
I think maybe it's can resolved on malloc level , that can separate
CODE and DATA segments.

I like to organize my Perl code to separate RO-DATA and RW-DATA and
will store RO-DATA (with IPC::Cache) in self organized shared memory.

What do you gurus think of this?

Summary of my perl5 (5.0 patchlevel 5 subversion 3) configuration:
Platform:
osname=solaris, osvers=2.6, archname=i86pc-solaris
uname='sunos har 5.6 generic i86pc i386 i86pc '
usethreads=undef useperlio=undef d_sfio=undef

Apache 1.3.9
Re: FW: Memory optimisation [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Fyodor Krasnov wrote:

> Here is usual line from top:
>
> "Memory: 512M real, 96M free, 475M swap in use, 697M swap free"
>
> This mean that only 5Mb from 30Mb of each httpd-child is shared.

I'm not sure it means that at all.

Have a look at Apache::VMonitor.

73,
Ged.