Do you think in today we will give up perl/modperl as web development
language, and choose the alternatives instead?

Thanks & Regards
Re: suggestions for perl as web development language [ In reply to ]
I think all languages have lost the battle to nodejs. Most popular
frameworks are angular and react - it is hard to beat them when everyone
seems to be able to throw out a single page application without much effort.

Re: suggestions for perl as web development language [ In reply to ]
I would not consider mod_perl for new projects, but instead highly recommend using mojolicious https://mojolicious.org/ <https://mojolicious.org/>

> Am 04.08.2020 um 07:42 schrieb Wesley Peng <me@yonghua.org>:
>
> greetings,
>
> My team use all of perl, ruby, python for scripting stuff.
> perl is stronger for system admin tasks, and data analysis etc.
> But for web development, it seems to be not as popular as others.
> It has less selective frameworks, and even we can't get the right people to do the webdev job with perl.
> Do you think in today we will give up perl/modperl as web development language, and choose the alternatives instead?
>
> Thanks & Regards

Rolf Schaufelberger
Re: suggestions for perl as web development language [ In reply to ]
What about dancer?

RE: suggestions for perl as web development language [EXT] [ In reply to ]
Perl is a great solution for web development.

Others will disagree but the best way I still believe is using mod_perl - but only if you use it's full power - and you probably need a special sort of mind set to use - but that can be said for any language.

From experience - it may be fractionally slower than small "standalone" apps that dancer etc are good at, but it is (a) much, much more stable {dancer etc does not cope well with either large requests or lots of small requests}, and (b) if you have a large code base and/or a large number of services then it generally uses much less compute power than the others {can easily handle multiple services on a single apache instance}

Where it really gains is the hooks into the apache process - being able to add functionality easily at any stage in the request process, from path translation, AAA stages, pre-processing, to post-processing and logging, and also to interact with other languages at any stage - e.g. can handle pre-processing & post-processing around a script written in another language (e.g. PHP, Java) or produced by another webserver integrated by mod_proxy.

It isn't really a framework though like dancer or mojolicious and thus has its own advantages and disadvantages.

You would to some extent have to roll your own code to produce the pages themselves although there are libraries out there to do lots of it.

We have an in house library whose embryonic stages were written over 20 years ago - and has now been stable for around 12-13 years and works strong...

James

--
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research
Re: suggestions for perl as web development language [EXT] [ In reply to ]
Hello,

:
: Others will disagree but the best way I still believe is using mod_perl
: - but only if you use it's full power - and you probably need a special
: sort of mind set to use - but that can be said for any language.

Agreed. We have a codebase spanning 20 years, 2.3M LoC (without
comments). Some of it even pre-dates mod_perl (written originally for CGI.pm),
but mostly it uses code based on RegistryCooker as its underlying
infrastructure.

I just don't see a clean path towards HTTP/3 QUIC multi-session
connections in mod_perl. Sure, a reverse proxy will do, but it might be
better to do it natively. Do you know about any development of Apache+mod_perl
related to HTTP/2 or HTTP/3?

-Yenya

--
| Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak <kas at {fi.muni.cz - work | yenya.net - private}> |
| http://www.fi.muni.cz/~kas/ GPG: 4096R/A45477D5 |
AW: suggestions for perl as web development language [EXT] [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

we also have a big code base whose starting point is more than two decades ago.
If you have developers who know their stuff and all the internal developed modules
and helpers you're good to go. BUT: We do have problems to get young, fresh
perl developers. Why? This language is simply unattractive to young people.

If I had to start a web application today on an empty field I wouldn't choose perl.

There is another point. When we started all logic was done in the backend.
Nowadays much is done in the browser itself with Javascript. You need this
Javascript knowhow in any case. And when you have it there is no big step
to using this in the backend too.

So, in my opinion there is a relevant difference between starting a project
or maintaining an (very) old one. Maintaining an old code base where you're
stuck to years of old code is not attractive to new developers in any case.

mod_perl? The opinions may vary. But we're trying to get rid of it. In the
old days mod_perl with apache was the one and only process doing
everything. Now it's common to have serveral tiers. In the front a
load balancer which probably also terminates SSL. Some lightweight
servers serving static stuff as fast as possible, and one or more servers which
act as application server. As soon as several stages of request processing
are not done in Apache (e.g. Rewriting, Dispatching, Logging) you only
use one stage of Apache to produce the content. And this can be done
with a native perl application server.

Don't understand me wrong. We program in Perl, we know Perl more or less,
we have a big code base in Perl. But I won't start a new project on an empty (!)
field with it. But our field is NOT empty because we have so many known own
libraries and modules for all the common cross application requirements that
it would last very long to build these in a different language.

At the end you need people to do it. And you have to see how much legacy
code base and knowledge is there.

Regards
Andreas